    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, Jan 25, 2006

  2. John Dean wrote:
    > Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

    Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?

    Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

    ::Your Name Here::, Jan 26, 2006

  3. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

    > Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
    >
    > Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

    The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, Jan 26, 2006
  4. John Dean wrote:
    > ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:
    >
    >> John Dean wrote:
    >>
    >>> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

    >> Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
    >>
    >> Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

    > The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?

    Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?
    What processeses are listed in the task manager?
    Is your CPU overheating?
    Have you tested your RAM?
    What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on it?
    How much RAM is in your computer?

    ::Your Name Here::, Jan 26, 2006
  5. John Dean

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:06:35 +1100, wrote:

    > John Dean wrote:
    >> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

    > Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
    >
    > Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

    Slow Edition?

    Meat Plow, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:06:35 +1100, wrote:
    >

    >>John Dean wrote:
    >>
    >>>Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE.

    >>Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
    >>
    >>Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

    > Slow Edition?

    LOL

    ::Your Name Here::, Jan 26, 2006
  7. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:

    >>> Windows XP Home SE, the long awaited successor to Windows 98SE?
    >>>
    >>> Okay, what is this Home SE of which you speak?

    >> The second edition. Perhaps I shoulda said SP2? Anyway, any ideas?

    > Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

    Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down. Would
    it assist you to know exactly what's running?
    > What processeses are listed in the task manager?

    svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
    > Is your CPU overheating?

    Nope
    > Have you tested your RAM?

    Yep
    > What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
    > it?

    svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
    >How much RAM is in your computer?

    1024 Mb
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, Jan 26, 2006
  8. John Dean

    abc Guest

    virus protection pop up blocker any number of things. if you have a lot of
    icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, you have too many

    abc, Jan 27, 2006
  9. John Dean

    Duane Arnold Guest

    abc <> wrote in message
    <>...

    > virus protection pop up blocker any number of things. if you have a
    > lot of icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, you have too
    > many "John Dean" <> wrote in message

    >>> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

    >> Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down.
    >> Would it assist you to know exactly what's running?
    >>> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

    >> svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
    >>> Is your CPU overheating?

    >> Nope
    >>> Have you tested your RAM?

    >> Yep
    >>> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
    >>> it?

    >> svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
    >>> How much RAM is in your computer?

    >> 1024 Mb
    >> --
    >> John Dean
    >> Oxford

    test

    --
    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 27, 2006
  10. John Dean

    Duane Arnold Guest

    abc <> wrote in message
    <>...

    > virus protection pop up blocker any number of things. if you have a
    > lot of icons in the bottom right corner of the screen, you have too
    > many "John Dean" <> wrote in message

    >>> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

    >> Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down.
    >> Would it assist you to know exactly what's running?
    >>> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

    >> svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
    >>> Is your CPU overheating?

    >> Nope
    >>> Have you tested your RAM?

    >> Yep
    >>> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
    >>> it?

    >> svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
    >>> How much RAM is in your computer?

    >> 1024 Mb
    >> --
    >> John Dean
    >> Oxford

    test

    --
    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 27, 2006
  11. John Dean wrote:

    >> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

    > Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down. Would
    > it assist you to know exactly what's running?
    >
    >> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

    > svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
    >
    >> Is your CPU overheating?

    > Nope
    >
    >> Have you tested your RAM?

    > Yep
    >
    >> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
    >> it?

    > svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
    >
    >> How much RAM is in your computer?

    > 1024 Mb

    It must be me, but this is starting to feel like pulling teeth....

    You've got 3 processes listed in task manager? No more except for a few
    svchosts? You must have a clean machine because I have 3 pages of
    processes...

    Svchosts is hammering your hard drive?
    Would I be right in assuming that in task manager, svchost.exe is at the
    top of the list when you sort by CPU (using the highest percentage)?
    And would I be right in assuming svchost.exe is also at the top of the
    list when you sort by Mem Usage?

    Here's a link that may help to rule out svchost nasties that AVG et al
    may have missed.
    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/svchost.exe.html

    ::Your Name Here::, Jan 27, 2006
  12. John Dean

    Duane Arnold Guest

    top post test

    In news:43d9cff8$0$18618$,
    ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
    Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> typed:

    Duane Arnold, Jan 27, 2006
  13. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >
    >>> Have you checked msconfig to see what is running?

    >> Yeah. I'm asking what processes are likely to be slowing me down.
    >> Would it assist you to know exactly what's running?
    >>
    >>> What processeses are listed in the task manager?

    >> svchost -see below, taskmgr.exe, system
    >>
    >>> Is your CPU overheating?

    >> Nope
    >>
    >>> Have you tested your RAM?

    >> Yep
    >>
    >>> What process is using your hard drive when there is more activity on
    >>> it?

    >> svchost.exe which AFAIU is a cover for all kinds of other stuff
    >>
    >>> How much RAM is in your computer?

    >> 1024 Mb

    > It must be me, but this is starting to feel like pulling teeth....

    I feel the same

    > You've got 3 processes listed in task manager? No more except for a
    > few svchosts? You must have a clean machine because I have 3 pages of
    > processes...

    3 processes running. Others listed

    > Svchosts is hammering your hard drive?

    I don't know. When I first posted I was hoping people would come forward
    and say things like "Oh, moved on from XP Home to XP Home SP2 - here are
    some of the things that commonly cause problems when you do that and
    some of them cause your machine to run slow."

    > Would I be right in assuming that in task manager, svchost.exe is at
    > the top of the list when you sort by CPU (using the highest
    > percentage)?

    At the moment explorer.exe is top of the CPU, followed bt taskmgr.exe
    and svchost.exe which alternate.

    >And would I be right in assuming svchost.exe is also at
    > the top of the list when you sort by Mem Usage?

    explorer.exe followed by svchost.exe followed by msimn.exe

    > Here's a link that may help to rule out svchost nasties that AVG et al
    > may have missed.
    > http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/svchost.exe.html

    Thank you
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

    John Dean, Jan 27, 2006
  14. John Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    "John Dean" <> wrote:

    >At the moment explorer.exe is top of the CPU, followed bt taskmgr.exe
    >and svchost.exe which alternate.
    >
    >>And would I be right in assuming svchost.exe is also at
    >> the top of the list when you sort by Mem Usage?

    >explorer.exe followed by svchost.exe followed by msimn.exe

    High CPU usage by explorer.exe is a symptom very often associated with
    some of the latest spyware/trojan nasties.

    Go to http://www.webroot.com/download which is an "error" page. On
    the right side of the page is a link to download a 14 day trial
    version of Spysweeper which is one of the very best spyware removal
    tools available.

    Download, install, and update it then let it sweep your computer. It
    could easily take half an hour or longer to do the check. Remove
    everything that it flags.

    And if it finds a lot of nasties, especially Winfixer, you may have to
    do some additional cleaning in order to get your system running
    properly.

    Post the results back here if you have further questions or problems.

    Good luck
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jan 27, 2006
  15. John Dean

    Liza Veta Guest

    Re: Re: XP slowdown

    John Dean wrote:

    So where did you get the idea that Pro was involved?
    >--
    >John Dean
    >Oxford
    >
    >TT wrote:
    >> If you have checked out all of the aforementioned ideas-then just do a
    >> clean reinstall...it's always potentially dicey to just place a new OS
    >> on top of an older yet cluttered one-even if the only difference is
    >> Home vs Pro...
    >> If you only purchased the XP upgrade disk-reinstall Home then
    >> reinstall Pro...of course, backing up important files is a must, if
    >> you didn't do that already...at that point, you should annihilate any
    >> OS issues. FYI-it seems silly to upgrade like we used to...clean
    >> reinstalls cure just about any software evil known to mankind.
    >> Just my $.02...just curious-why the 'upgrade' to Pro? I only run Pro,
    >> but I can't see moving from home to pro unless you need better
    >> networking support-the other differences are mostly cosmetic.
    >> TT
    >>

    >> John Dean wrote:
    >>> Recently upgraded XP Home to Home SE. Now everything seems to have
    >>> slowed down. Boot up takes minutes where it used to take seconds,
    >>> programs run slowly on startup that previously ran briskly and there
    >>> are delays in switching between running processes, even something as
    >>> simple as switching from a loading window in IE to an open newsgroup
    >>> in Outlook Express. There's more activity on the HD (if I am to
    >>> trust the little light that winks whenever the HD is in action)
    >>> following almost everything I do.
    >>> I've done virus scans with my resident AVG and with Norton online,
    >>> scanned with Spybot and Adaware and there's nothing wrong.
    >>> The obvious culprit would have been the Indexing service, but I've
    >>> confirmed via Control Panel / Services that it's disabled.
    >>> So, any thoughts as to what might be the "usual suspects" here that I
    >>> might look further into?

    What would you do if me have checked out all of the aforementioned ideas-then just do a?

    Liza Veta, Jan 28, 2006
  16. John Dean

    TT Guest

    TT, Jan 28, 2006
  17. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    John Dean, Jan 28, 2006
  18. John Dean

    TT Guest

    Just looked back at the thread and saw the SP2 clarification...sorry.

    TT, Jan 28, 2006
  19. John Dean

    zarathustra Guest

    Ron Martell <> gibbered:

    >"John Dean" <> wrote:
    >

    >>At the moment explorer.exe is top of the CPU, followed bt taskmgr.exe
    >>and svchost.exe which alternate.
    >>
    >>>And would I be right in assuming svchost.exe is also at
    >>> the top of the list when you sort by Mem Usage?

    >>explorer.exe followed by svchost.exe followed by msimn.exe
    >>

    >High CPU usage by explorer.exe is a symptom very often associated with
    >some of the latest spyware/trojan nasties.
    >
    >Go to http://www.webroot.com/download which is an "error" page. On
    >the right side of the page is a link to download a 14 day trial
    >version of Spysweeper which is one of the very best spyware removal
    >tools available.

    Much as I've come to respect your responses in this crummy newsfroup,
    Ron, I gotta take issue here. I've been using the holy trinity of
    Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster & Spybot S&D for some time now, but seeing as
    it's you recommending this app, I thought 'let's give it a go'. After
    what seemed to be an exhaustive scan, Spy Sweeper decided that BMP
    files were 'messengerlog' files and cm.exe ('Crossword Maestro' -
    excellent) was 'NetNanny' - both were erroneously flagged as
    'Critical'.

    Ah well, at least it found the latest 'install' of byteverify.

    Cheers.

    >Download, install, and update it then let it sweep your computer. It
    >could easily take half an hour or longer to do the check. Remove
    >everything that it flags.

    *cough* Not without first checking that the flags are valid.*cough*

    zarathustra, Jan 28, 2006
  20. Re: Re: XP slowdown

    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006