XP shuts down intermittently

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beck, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Beck

    Beck Guest

    I am trying to find the source of a problem with my laptop (5 yr old Samsung
    vm8000).

    The problem is that it just shuts down by itself without warning. I don't
    see the programs shutting down in order like you do when you properly shut
    down, its like the power has been totally disconnected and it just goes off.

    Things I have done to try and find the problem...

    Removed the CPU fan and given it a good clean (in case it was overheating)
    Cleaned the rest of laptop as far as I can reach.
    In case of hard disk problem I tried to do a disc cleanup. Every time it
    got to scannign "compress old files" the system would shut down. So in
    regedit I removed compress old files from disc cleanup and ran it again. It
    shut down when trying to delete temporary internet files. So I then deleted
    them via IE6.
    Then ran Crap Cleaner to fix any registry issues and clean out the crap from
    other old programs. Things seemed to be going well. Then went to do a scan
    with Spybot and the laptop again shut down abotu 1/3rd way through.

    I have checked the event viewer and everything seems okay except for one
    kind of entry which is repeated hundreds of times. The following is a copy
    and paste from the event viewer...

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: WinMgmt
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 24
    Date: 17/04/2006
    Time: 22:25:34
    User: N/A
    Computer: BECK-RCOHNVB004
    Event provider attempted to register query "SELECT * FROM
    __InstanceDeletionEvent WHERE TargetInstance ISA "MPSSVC_Agent" " whose
    target class "MPSSVC_Agent" does not exist. The query will be ignored.

    There are hundreds of these occurring almost every minute it seems. All
    event ID 24 and all with the same "InstanceDeletionEvent"

    That is as far as I have got. Not sure what else to do from here. Please
    advise.
    thanks.
    Beck, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Beck wrote:
    > I am trying to find the source of a problem with my laptop (5 yr old
    > Samsung vm8000).

    Forgot to mention I also did a virus scan.
    Beck, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:39:37 +0100, "Beck" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: WinMgmt
    >> Event Category: None
    >> Event ID: 24
    >> Date: 17/04/2006
    >> Time: 22:25:34
    >> User: N/A
    >> Computer: BECK-RCOHNVB004
    >> Event provider attempted to register query "SELECT * FROM
    >> __InstanceDeletionEvent WHERE TargetInstance ISA "MPSSVC_Agent" "
    >> whose target class "MPSSVC_Agent" does not exist. The query will be
    >> ignored.
    >>
    >> There are hundreds of these occurring almost every minute it seems.
    >> All event ID 24 and all with the same "InstanceDeletionEvent"
    >>
    >> That is as far as I have got. Not sure what else to do from here.
    >> Please advise.
    >> thanks.

    > Try:
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?R181249FC

    Thanks for the quick reply. I used to have one care a few months ago. I
    shall follow the fixes but I do not think it is related to this shutting
    down problem.
    Beck, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Beck

    philo Guest

    "Beck" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to find the source of a problem with my laptop (5 yr old
    >Samsung vm8000).
    >
    > The problem is that it just shuts down by itself without warning. I don't
    > see the programs shutting down in order like you do when you properly shut
    > down, its like the power has been totally disconnected and it just goes
    > off.
    >
    > Things I have done to try and find the problem...

    Might as well run the mfg's diagnostic on the harddrive

    and run a RAM test
    philo, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > If you had OneCare and then uninstalled it, this is *quite likely*
    > your problem. Follow the steps *carefully,* and you should see
    > results.

    I will do that now. I still unsure thats the problem. I had one care
    months ago, this problem only started last week. Shall post back with
    results, cheers :)
    Beck, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:39:52 +0100, "Beck" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If you had OneCare and then uninstalled it, this is *quite likely*
    >>> your problem. Follow the steps *carefully,* and you should see
    >>> results.

    >> I will do that now. I still unsure thats the problem. I had one
    >> care months ago, this problem only started last week. Shall post
    >> back with results, cheers :)

    > I admit I'd just gotten home from work and hadn't really followed the
    > thread. Mea Culpa. :( Are you saying your system is shutting down
    > *completely* at random intervals? As in, DEAD dead, no lights,
    > nothing?

    Yes absolutely nothing. Its as if the power cord has been pulled out.
    Totally random, could be checking emails, or browsing or whatever.
    My first thoughts were a power supply problem, like power surges maybe.
    Then when It did exactly the same thing twice at the same point trying to do
    a disc cleanup then I figured it has to be some kind of hard drive problem.
    Since running CCleaner tonight it has not shut down at all in about an hour
    or so - so it could have been a registry problem. But you know I would have
    thought that software problems would cause system crash rather than complete
    power loss (must add I am able to switch laptop back on immediately after
    this power loss).
    This is all making me so confused. I am not a newbie to computers and
    fairly competent. I don't know everything but I can follow instructions
    easily enough to fix things and navigate my way around most of windows, etc.
    So its all the more frustrating, I dont know of a software glitch which
    would cause loss of power. Could be drivers I suppose.

    Since using the ccleaner tonight have also done a windows update and have
    managed to do the spybot check I tried to do ealier. I also did those steps
    on that website you gave. So far so good. Not had a shutdown so any one of
    those things could have sorted the problem. Or the problem may jump back
    and bite me again tomorrow. Just don't know really :)
    Beck, Apr 18, 2006
  7. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > I admit I'd just gotten home from work and hadn't really followed the
    > thread. Mea Culpa. :( Are you saying your system is shutting down
    > *completely* at random intervals? As in, DEAD dead, no lights,
    > nothing?

    Just done a defrag which I have not done in a while. Some files could not
    be defragmented. This is something I have never come across before and may
    indicate a HDD problem? Didn't get any bad clusters on a scandisk though.

    Report below

    Volume (C:)
    Volume size = 5.86 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 3.06 GB
    Free space = 2.80 GB
    Percent free space = 47 %

    Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 0 %
    File fragmentation = 0 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %

    File fragmentation
    Total files = 20,580
    Average file size = 198 KB
    Total fragmented files = 1
    Total excess fragments = 121
    Average fragments per file = 1.00

    Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 372 MB
    Total fragments = 1

    Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 1,874
    Fragmented folders = 1
    Excess folder fragments = 0

    Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 59 MB
    MFT record count = 22,481
    Percent MFT in use = 37 %
    Total MFT fragments = 4
    Beck, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Go into the BIOS on your machine and just sit and watch the voltage
    > readings for awhile. If they're jumping around like a jackrabbit,
    > you'll know the PS is a goner. Good power supplies aren't expensive -
    > a Thermaltake dual fan will cost you about $38.99 at Newegg. It's
    > money *well* spent.

    I don't have any readings in my bios :-(
    Incidentally, I did all the steps that were suggested regarding that error,
    but upon switching on this morning I am still getting the error. No
    shutdown since last night though.
    Beck, Apr 18, 2006
  9. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > Download Everest Home from here:
    >
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    >
    > It will show you the voltages under Computer/Sensor. I don't know if
    > it'll refresh fast enough to do any good for this, but it will give
    > you some clues.

    Thats quite a neat little program, tells me everything about the laptop.
    Under computer-sensor though it only gives me the temperature of the cpu
    which is 53 degress C or 127 F
    Beck, Apr 18, 2006
  10. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:24:29 +0100, "Beck" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Mara wrote:
    >>> Download Everest Home from here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    >>>
    >>> It will show you the voltages under Computer/Sensor. I don't know if
    >>> it'll refresh fast enough to do any good for this, but it will give
    >>> you some clues.

    >> Thats quite a neat little program, tells me everything about the
    >> laptop. Under computer-sensor though it only gives me the
    >> temperature of the cpu which is 53 degress C or 127 F

    > Try this:
    >
    > http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm
    >
    > (Note you must have Microsoft's .NET Framework Version 2.0 or newer
    > installed.)

    Hi again Mara,

    That program does not show my cpu voltages. It shows everything else, but
    voltages is blank.
    The laptop has been fine today, no shutting down. I reckon something I did
    yesterday with the various scans has picked up on the problem and fixed it,
    whatever it was.
    The CPU is a good temperature and is not overheating - in fact its 10
    degrees under the minimum stated temperature for this CPU. Thats probably
    down to my laptop cooler.
    Beck, Apr 18, 2006
  11. Beck

    Beck Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > Did you reboot after you used the fix, or is today the first time
    > you've fired it up since?

    Yes I rebooted. Will try it again later.

    > I'm working on a laptop right now that would suddenly suspend itself
    > after 2 minutes and was driving the owner crazy. The battery says
    > it's good but in fact it's dead, so that's a problem if she wants to
    > run off the battery - it runs fine off AC. Turns out that the Timeout
    > settings in the BIOS were screwed up - apparently one of her kids had
    > been playing.

    Kids should be tied up to their beds and not fed for a week :)

    >> The CPU is a good temperature and is not overheating - in fact its 10
    >> degrees under the minimum stated temperature for this CPU. Thats
    >> probably down to my laptop cooler.

    > Yes. I still intend to get one, although I don't really need one
    > anymore.

    If you want recommendations, I use this one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000BVYTV/202-8514283-7383027

    Is available in the US if that is where you are.
    Beck, Apr 18, 2006
  12. Beck

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Beck spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself

    > Mara wrote:
    >> Did you reboot after you used the fix, or is today the first time
    >> you've fired it up since?

    > Yes I rebooted. Will try it again later.
    >
    >> I'm working on a laptop right now that would suddenly suspend itself
    >> after 2 minutes and was driving the owner crazy. The battery says
    >> it's good but in fact it's dead, so that's a problem if she wants to
    >> run off the battery - it runs fine off AC. Turns out that the Timeout
    >> settings in the BIOS were screwed up - apparently one of her kids had
    >> been playing.

    > Kids should be tied up to their beds and not fed for a week :)
    >
    >>> The CPU is a good temperature and is not overheating - in fact its
    >>> 10 degrees under the minimum stated temperature for this CPU. Thats
    >>> probably down to my laptop cooler.

    >> Yes. I still intend to get one, although I don't really need one
    >> anymore.

    > If you want recommendations, I use this one.
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000BVYTV/202-8514283-7383027
    >
    > Is available in the US if that is where you are.

    11 Feb 2006, 12:53 PM

    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=245336&SiteID=2

    --
    Mhzjunkie