XP Shutdown Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides to
    restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).

    I am not hitting 'Restart'
    I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
    this is enough)
    I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
    bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
    I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, Epson
    printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although I
    am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install new
    drivers for definite)
    I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
    I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or should
    not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?

    Any thoughts please?

    Thanks.

    Jon

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Jon Watson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    <> wrote :

    >Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides to
    >restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
    >
    >I am not hitting 'Restart'
    >I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
    >this is enough)
    >I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
    >bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
    >I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, Epson
    >printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although I
    >am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install new
    >drivers for definite)
    >I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
    >I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or should
    >not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
    >
    >Any thoughts please?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Jon

    If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
    Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
    the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
    More info here,
    http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides

    > >restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
    > >
    > >I am not hitting 'Restart'
    > >I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
    > >this is enough)
    > >I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
    > >bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
    > >I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card,

    Epson
    > >printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although

    > >am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install

    new
    > >drivers for definite)
    > >I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
    > >I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or

    should
    > >not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
    > >
    > >Any thoughts please?
    > >
    > >Thanks.
    > >
    > >Jon
    > >

    > If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
    > Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
    > the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
    > More info here,
    > http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    > HTH :)
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > email shepATpartyheld.de
    > Free songs download,
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it on
    start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link you
    kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!

    Ta

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Jon Watson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    >> <> wrote :
    >>
    >> >Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides

    >> >restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
    >> >
    >> >I am not hitting 'Restart'
    >> >I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
    >> >this is enough)
    >> >I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
    >> >bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
    >> >I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card,

    >Epson
    >> >printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although

    >> >am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install

    >new
    >> >drivers for definite)
    >> >I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
    >> >I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or

    >should
    >> >not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
    >> >
    >> >Any thoughts please?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >
    >> >Jon
    >> >

    >> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
    >> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
    >> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
    >> More info here,
    >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    >> HTH :)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Free Windows/PC help,
    >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    >> email shepATpartyheld.de
    >> Free songs download,
    >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it on
    >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link you
    >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
    >
    >Ta

    Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
    what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
    then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
    called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
    parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
    you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
    making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
    In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
    section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    > <> wrote :
    >

    > >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

    decides

    (if

    > >Epson

    (although

    > >new

    apparently)

    > >should

    > >> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
    > >> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
    > >> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
    > >> More info here,
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    > >> HTH :)
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Free Windows/PC help,
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > >> email shepATpartyheld.de
    > >> Free songs download,
    > >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    > >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it

    on
    > >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link

    you
    > >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
    > >
    > >Ta
    > >

    > Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
    > what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
    > then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
    > called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
    > parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
    > you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
    > making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
    > In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
    > section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > email shepATpartyheld.de
    > Free songs download,
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    Cheers, fingers crossed - if you dont hear from me again, you know I've
    buggered it!!!! Thanks, Jon.

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    > <> wrote :
    >

    > >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

    decides

    (if

    > >Epson

    (although

    > >new

    apparently)

    > >should

    > >> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
    > >> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
    > >> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
    > >> More info here,
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    > >> HTH :)
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Free Windows/PC help,
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
    > >> email shepATpartyheld.de
    > >> Free songs download,
    > >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    > >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it

    on
    > >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link

    you
    > >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
    > >
    > >Ta
    > >

    > Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
    > what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
    > then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
    > called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
    > parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
    > you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
    > making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
    > In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
    > section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
    >

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > email shepATpartyheld.de
    > Free songs download,
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

    OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
    referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but the
    only accessible options and their settings were: -
    ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
    Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
    Resume on Ring (Enabled)
    Resume on PME# (Enabled)
    Power Button Func (Suspend)
    Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
    Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)

    Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Jon Watson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:56:19 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    >> <> wrote :
    >>

    >> >"Shep©" <> wrote in message

    >decides

    >(if
    >> >Epson

    >(although
    >> >new

    >apparently)
    >> >should

    >> >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it

    >on
    >> >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link

    >you
    >> >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
    >> >
    >> >Ta
    >> >

    >> Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
    >> what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
    >> then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
    >> called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
    >> parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
    >> you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
    >> making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
    >> In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
    >> section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
    >>

    >OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
    >referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but the
    >only accessible options and their settings were: -
    >ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
    >Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
    >Resume on Ring (Enabled)
    >Resume on PME# (Enabled)
    >Power Button Func (Suspend)
    >Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
    >Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)
    >
    >Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

    Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
    Try the,

    Shep©, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:56:19 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
    > <> wrote :
    >

    > >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

    > >decides

    drivers
    > >(if

    is

    card,

    > >(although

    install

    > >apparently)

    not

    it
    > >on

    link
    > >you

    > >> Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
    > >> what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
    > >> then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
    > >> called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
    > >> parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
    > >> you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
    > >> making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
    > >> In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
    > >> section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
    > >>

    > >OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
    > >referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but

    the
    > >only accessible options and their settings were: -
    > >ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
    > >Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
    > >Resume on Ring (Enabled)
    > >Resume on PME# (Enabled)
    > >Power Button Func (Suspend)
    > >Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
    > >Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)
    > >
    > >Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

    > Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
    > Try the,
    > http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

    aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM instructions
    doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power Management
    Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed! :-(

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  9. Jon Watson

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:12:02 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    <> wrote :

    >> >decides

    >drivers
    >> >(if

    >is

    >card,
    >> >(although

    >install
    >> >apparently)

    >not

    >it
    >> >on

    >link
    >> >you

    >> >OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
    >> >referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but

    >the
    >> >only accessible options and their settings were: -
    >> >ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
    >> >Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
    >> >Resume on Ring (Enabled)
    >> >Resume on PME# (Enabled)
    >> >Power Button Func (Suspend)
    >> >Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
    >> >Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)
    >> >
    >> >Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

    >> Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
    >> Try the,
    >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    >>

    >aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM instructions
    >doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power Management
    >Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed! :-(

    Ah!
    Look for updated mother board drivers and also run the control
    Panel/Add New Hardware Wizard and let it install what it finds.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Oct 26, 2003
  10. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:12:02 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

    (approx).

    > >drivers

    machine
    > >is

    > >card,

    > >install

    or

    > >not

    accessing
    > >it

    > >link

    the

    and

    change

    you

    > >the

    > >> Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
    > >> Try the,
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
    > >>

    > >aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM

    instructions
    > >doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power

    Management
    > >Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed! :-(

    > Ah!
    > Look for updated mother board drivers and also run the control
    > Panel/Add New Hardware Wizard and let it install what it finds.

    How do I search for those??!?!? Is this to add the APM option back ?

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  11. Jon Watson

    Shep© Guest

    >> >aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM

    >instructions
    >> >doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power

    >Management
    >> >Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed! :-(

    >> Ah!
    >> Look for updated mother board drivers and also run the control
    >> Panel/Add New Hardware Wizard and let it install what it finds.
    >>

    >How do I search for those??!?!? Is this to add the APM option back ?

    Well 1st try the Add New Hardware wizard as winXP comes with a lot of
    ACPI drivers support and they may just have got damaged but to find
    out your mother board make and model click here and use Aida32(free),
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Oct 26, 2003
  12. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message

    > >instructions

    > >Management
    > >>
    > >> Ah!
    > >> Look for updated mother board drivers and also run the control
    > >> Panel/Add New Hardware Wizard and let it install what it finds.
    > >>

    > >How do I search for those??!?!? Is this to add the APM option back ?

    > Well 1st try the Add New Hardware wizard as winXP comes with a lot of
    > ACPI drivers support and they may just have got damaged but to find
    > out your mother board make and model click here and use Aida32(free),
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html

    OK, Add New Hardware finds nothing, then expects me to nominate the new
    hardware from a list (and as I dont know the end game here, I wasnt sure
    what to suggest!)
    Aida32 says my Motherboard is a Gigabit GA-8SIML

    What am I actually trying to do now???

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  13. Jon Watson

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You say you don't have Roxio "running". It does not have to running for that
    to happen just installed. If you have it installed then remove it or upgrade
    it.

    pcbutts1, Oct 26, 2003
  14. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > You say you don't have Roxio "running". It does not have to running for

    that
    > to happen just installed. If you have it installed then remove it or

    upgrade
    > it.

    Sorry, badly worded on my part, I meant that I do not own, use, load or run
    a copy of Roxio!!!! Its just that every google search I have done for this
    problem screams Roxio at me! I wish I was using it, then I might be able
    to sort this restart problem out!!!

    Jon Watson, Oct 26, 2003
  15. Jon Watson

    roach Guest

    shep is right it is def a power man problem
    but it is difficult to track down the exact cause
    you could dload the new bios for your mobo but
    the settings shep are describing may still not show up
    and flashing the bios although pretty easy is not really
    for a novice,
    although its not the correct solution a format and reinstall
    should cure this

    roach

    roach, Oct 27, 2003
  16. Jon Watson

    Jon Watson Guest

    ok, cheers, pleased we seemed agreed on the cause - but now very, very
    scared by the solution!!!

    Jon Watson, Oct 27, 2003
  17. Jon Watson

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Jon Watson" <> wrote:

    >Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides to
    >restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
    >
    >I am not hitting 'Restart'
    >I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
    >this is enough)
    >I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
    >bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
    >I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, Epson
    >printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although I
    >am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install new
    >drivers for definite)
    >I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
    >I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or should
    >not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
    >
    >Any thoughts please?

    Hi Jon.

    Shep seems to have inadvertently given you the wrong version of MVP
    Jim Eshelman's Shutdown Troubleshooter page.

    You want the Windows XP version which is at
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --