    displays?

    Thanks,
    p.
    Paul B, Jun 15, 2007

  2. Paul B

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Paul B" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
    > one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
    > on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.
    >
    > On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
    > box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
    > machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
    > without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
    > enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
    > visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
    > displays?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    Check your settings for "classic logon screen" and fast user switching -
    maybe that has something to do with it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/fastuserswitching.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291559
    WhzzKdd, Jun 15, 2007

  3. Paul B

    Paul B Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:59:05 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Paul B" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
    >> one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
    >> on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.
    >>
    >> On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
    >> box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
    >> machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
    >> without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
    >> enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
    >> visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
    >> displays?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> p.

    > Check your settings for "classic logon screen" and fast user switching -
    > maybe that has something to do with it.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/fastuserswitching.mspx
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291559

    That did it perfectly, thanks much. I had to turn on the Welcome
    screen. That also got rid of the logon, which kept coming back
    every time I updated windows, despite being turned off with
    TweakUI.

    Thanks again,
    p.
    Paul B, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Paul B

    olfart Guest

    "Paul B" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
    > one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
    > on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.
    >
    > On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
    > box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
    > machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
    > without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
    > enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
    > visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
    > displays?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > p.

    shutdown.....windows key then U then U
    restart.........windows key then U then R
    olfart, Jun 16, 2007