XP Setup disk folder is empty?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. I'm trying to reload a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade. The current
    installation of the same o/s is running etremely slow.

    I initially wanted to use the recovery console to install the installation.
    I did load my Windows XP Home edition upgrade disk and followed the usual
    recovery console installation procedure. The console however would not load
    correctly. When attempting to load the console in Windows I got an error
    saying it could not locate some file.

    I then tried to automatically load the disk from CD while in windows. It
    would not auto start the set-up program. When I explore the folders of the
    Windows XP installation CD CD I get a pop-up ballon saying the "Folder is
    Empty". This message appears on the i386 folder, the dotnetfx folder and the
    valueadd folder. if I double click on the folder windows will not open thse
    folders. However if I look at this disk on another machine or in dos, i can
    see the folders do contain files.

    The installation disk is genuine and was purchased from a legitimate
    retailer. It was used to make the initial installation a few weeks ago
    without any major concerns.

    I'd appreciate any help in finding the missing contents of these folders.

    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 9, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

    Malke Guest

    Sandy wrote:

    > I'm trying to reload a Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade. The current
    > installation of the same o/s is running etremely slow.
    >
    > I initially wanted to use the recovery console to install the
    > installation.
    > I did load my Windows XP Home edition upgrade disk and followed the
    > usual
    > recovery console installation procedure. The console however would
    > not load
    > correctly. When attempting to load the console in Windows I got an
    > error saying it could not locate some file.
    >
    > I then tried to automatically load the disk from CD while in windows.
    > It
    > would not auto start the set-up program. When I explore the folders
    > of the Windows XP installation CD CD I get a pop-up ballon saying the
    > "Folder is
    > Empty". This message appears on the i386 folder, the dotnetfx folder
    > and the
    > valueadd folder. if I double click on the folder windows will not
    > open thse
    > folders. However if I look at this disk on another machine or in dos,
    > i can see the folders do contain files.
    >
    > The installation disk is genuine and was purchased from a legitimate
    > retailer. It was used to make the initial installation a few weeks
    > ago without any major concerns.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help in finding the missing contents of these
    > folders.

    In both cases you are not installing Windows correctly. I can't address
    why you don't see the files because I don't know what was wrong with
    your computer to start with. It sounds like possible virus infection.

    You should boot with the XP CD and not take R for Repair with Recovery
    Console. You should take Installation. Here are two links explaining
    how to install Windows XP:

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Thanks, Malke.

    I've tried booting from the XP Installation CD directly. Windows setup
    stops before making any real progress. I get a blue screen error message
    saying files are missing. It obviously thinks the folders are empty as well.

    I just completeed a virus scan,. Norton did not find any viruses on the
    system.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 9, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

    Malke Guest

    Sandy wrote:

    > Thanks, Malke.
    >
    > I've tried booting from the XP Installation CD directly. Windows
    > setup stops before making any real progress. I get a blue screen error
    > message
    > saying files are missing. It obviously thinks the folders are empty
    > as well.

    I really don't know what you mean by "folders are empty". Are you trying
    to do a clean install - formatting the drive first and thereby removing
    any programs and data? If this is what you are doing and the
    installation fails with an error message - and you are *not* trying to
    do the install from within Windows but are booting directly into the
    installation - then what is the exact text of the error message?

    Please also include some information about your computer specs.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 9, 2005
  5. I am not doing a clean install. I was attempting to re-install Windows ontop
    of the existing XP operating system. The windows XP operating system
    continues to run as before (slower than I'd like).

    There is no error message when I click on the folders of the installation
    disk. Windows will not expand the folders, and I only get the pop-up balloon
    noting that the folders are empty.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 9, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

    Malke Guest

    Sandy wrote:

    > I am not doing a clean install. I was attempting to re-install
    > Windows ontop
    > of the existing XP operating system. The windows XP operating system
    > continues to run as before (slower than I'd like).
    >
    > There is no error message when I click on the folders of the
    > installation
    > disk. Windows will not expand the folders, and I only get the pop-up
    > balloon noting that the folders are empty.

    What is the virus/malware status of the computer? If you think it is
    clean, what did you use to determine this? Please state the names of
    antivirus-antispyware programs and versions. Is this an OEM (Dell,
    Compaq, etc.) computer or a home-built one? Some hardware specs and an
    idea of the box's age would also be useful.

    Malke
    Malke, Dec 9, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

    Guest

    On 9-Dec-2005, Malke <> wrote:

    > > There is no error message when I click on the folders of the
    > > installation
    > > disk. Windows will not expand the folders, and I only get the pop-up
    > > balloon noting that the folders are empty.

    What does Windows Explorer say?
    Should be in Start Programs Accessories.
    , Dec 9, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 10, 2005
  9. If I click on the XP setup disk folders in windows explorer I do get an error
    message. IE: "Di386 refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be
    on a hard drive of this computer or on a network...". Similiar error
    mesages will occur on the DOTNETFX, SUPPORT, VALUEADD folders. I can
    however see inside the DOCS folder and files in the main directory of the CD.

    As well, this problem doesn't seem to be physical error with the the disk
    or the CD drive. My computer only detects the exact same files on my back-up
    copy of the XP installation disk.

    It almost seesm like Windows has blocked out portions of the disk.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 10, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=

    Guest

    On 10-Dec-2005, "=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=" <> wrote:

    > As well, this problem doesn't seem to be physical error with the the disk
    > or the CD drive. My computer only detects the exact same files on my back-up
    > copy of the XP installation disk.

    You say backup copy of the XP installation disk, does this mean it is
    not an authentic MS$ disk?
    I've had sick (Chinese) disks where the path to the folders couldn't
    be resolved because the system didn't recognise the Chinese
    characters in the paths, but Windows Explorer could see the
    contents of the folders. One was an exe, click on it to install,
    no success, do a copy and paste to the HD, then the exe worked.
    Chinese hardware off eBay the manual was also in Chinese.
    Outstanding value and rock solid once I'd cracked the problem.
    Found I also had to copy other dependent files for the install.
    to work. Which is why I ask is it a genuine MS$ disk?
    , Dec 10, 2005
  11. The original disk Installation disk is a genuine 100% Microsoft XP disk.
    That disk and the back-up copy disk appear to have the same problem. I did
    not encounter any of these concerns when I installed XP a few weeks ago.
    thanks,
    Sandy

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHk=?=, Dec 10, 2005