    which I did without deleting program files. When I ran XP transfer on
    the new install with old settings: start programs did not come back.
    What went wrong with this minimal backup?

    Wonderer, Apr 29, 2007

  2. Wonderer

    philo Guest

    "Wonderer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I backed up my settings with the wizard. Then I had to reinstall,
    > which I did without deleting program files. When I ran XP transfer on
    > the new install with old settings: start programs did not come back.
    > What went wrong with this minimal backup?

    If you reinstall XP you need to reinstall your apps.
    What you should have tried first was a repair installation.

    If your original installation is still on the drive you can attempt a repair
    install of it

    philo, Apr 29, 2007

  3. Wonderer

    old man Guest

    It doesnt backup/save data or apps, only some settings

    old man, Apr 29, 2007
  4. Wonderer

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    news:B76Zh.2214$...> "Wonderer"
    <> wrote in message
    >> I backed up my settings with the wizard. Then I had to reinstall,
    >> which I did without deleting program files. When I ran XP transfer on
    >> the new install with old settings: start programs did not come back.
    >> What went wrong with this minimal backup?
    >>

    > It doesnt backup/save data or apps, only some settings

    Actually, it DOES data. By default, all information in "My Documents" for
    all accounts. A user can manually select other folders as well. Apps are a
    different issue.

    And if the programs (apps) are NOT installed in the new (or freshly
    installed) OS, then the FAST wizard doesn't bother putting the shortcuts
    back. (Why put shortcuts on the PC for something that it doesn't think is in
    there for the shortcut to point to?)

    WhzzKdd, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Wonderer

    old man Guest