xp security permission problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by da35333, Nov 13, 2006.

1. da35333

da35333

hey,

from the start:

i have a laptop and it was sent off for repairs. i took out the hard drive before sending it off as i told them i need the files for work. so, i then connected it to an external drive holder which was acessible via my desktop pc. when trying to access my files in document and settings, it says access denied, i then click the security tab of the whole user (called ktp) folder and replaced ownership and replaced everything. from this time onwards, i could view everyhthing in this users folder. there was no problems untill i got my repaired laptop back from the engineer.

i then placed the hard drive back in to my laptop and started the computer, it worked fine. i logged in xp using my required username and password but it never loaded my original desktop and settings, it just seemed like it created a new user account and never used my original account.

i checked the user account folder in documents and settings and it displayed the original user which was 'ktp' user and also a new folder which was named exactly as the original (ktp) but had a hyphon and the name of the actual computer, so it displayed this (ktp-sneccie).

i know i changed ownership to view the files on my desktop temporary but how do i change it so that i can use my original ktp documents and desktop, i.e my old desktop wall paper, icons, documents/files?

thanks in advance and appreciate any help given and sorry for the long story.

dean

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
    da35333, Nov 13, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. da35333

globalchicken

did you try copying and pasting the user folder from your first user to your second user?

globalchicken, Nov 14, 2006
    1. Advertising