    I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    --
    Regards

    Mike, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    In article <cc479b$o33$>,
    says...
    > XP Home, file system NTFS.
    >
    > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I have 4
    > passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts
    > are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware repair is there no way
    > for the technician to access my hardrive and its data beyond the login
    > screen. No secret admin account or account entrance that is built in or
    > could they run another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access
    > the drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I ask
    > this because it just occurs to me how much private and personal information
    > I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    Actually, the password only means that they can't logon as you to that
    computer when the OS is running.

    If I take your drive and put it in another computer I can take ownership
    of all the files and do anything I want with them.

    The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly as
    you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they want.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Mike

    Burp* Guest

    Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > XP Home, file system NTFS.
    >
    > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
    > have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
    > these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
    > repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
    > its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
    > entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
    > drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
    > or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
    > occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
    > hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain access to
    your porn.

    --
    Mhzjunkie

    Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
    1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
    GOTO 1
    END

    Burp*, Jul 2, 2004
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Burp* wrote:
    > Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    >
    >> XP Home, file system NTFS.
    >>
    >> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
    >> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
    >> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
    >> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
    >> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
    >> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
    >> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
    >> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
    >> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
    >> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    > There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
    > access to your porn.

    Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that concerns me
    so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my children that are very
    personal and my own notes and journal and emails and financial details.

    --
    Regards

    Mike, Jul 2, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > Burp* wrote:
    >> Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    >>
    >>> XP Home, file system NTFS.
    >>>
    >>> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure.
    >>> I have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
    >>> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
    >>> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
    >>> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
    >>> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
    >>> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
    >>> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
    >>> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
    >>> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    >> There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
    >> access to your porn.

    > Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that
    > concerns me so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my
    > children that are very personal and my own notes and journal and
    > emails and financial details.

    pfffft.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > In article <cc479b$o33$>,
    > says...
    >> XP Home, file system NTFS.
    >>
    >> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure.
    >> I have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
    >> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
    >> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
    >> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
    >> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
    >> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
    >> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
    >> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
    >> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    > Actually, the password only means that they can't logon as you to that
    > computer when the OS is running.
    >
    > If I take your drive and put it in another computer I can take
    > ownership of all the files and do anything I want with them.
    >
    > The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly
    > as you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they
    > want.

    Ahh, shit you say ?

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly
    > > as you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they
    > > want.

    > Ahh, shit you say ?

    If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that only
    you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and access the
    file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select properties, select
    Security (or some order like this) and then advanced and then Ownership
    and then take ownership of the file - you can now do anything you want
    with it.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Mike

    D.Currie Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Burp* wrote:
    > > Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    > >
    > >> XP Home, file system NTFS.
    > >>
    > >> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
    > >> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
    > >> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
    > >> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
    > >> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
    > >> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
    > >> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
    > >> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
    > >> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
    > >> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    > > There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
    > > access to your porn.

    > Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that concerns

    me
    > so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my children that are very
    > personal and my own notes and journal and emails and financial details.
    >
    > --
    > Regards

    I repair computers for a living, and I can tell you that I personally don't
    care what's on your computer, and I'm not going to spend my working time
    reading your documents. I want to do the repair and get the computer off the
    bench as quickly as possible.

    On the other hand, there aren't a whole lot of computer repairs I'm going to
    be able to do without access to at least one administrator account. If I
    install hardware, I'm going to have to install drivers and make sure it
    works. If it's a software problem, then I'm sure I'm going to have to access
    an account, and after that, I need to access the problematic program. So,
    yes, if you say you can't read your email, I need access to your email
    account, and I'm going to open a couple of emails. But even at that, I try
    to avoid actually reading the content. I open them to see that they do open,
    then I move on. I don't care what spam you get, or what Aunt Sally's goiter
    is up to these days.

    Even if it's something like a power supply replacement, it's nice to be able
    to get into Windows and make sure nothing else got fried in the meantime.
    Otherwise I'm going to get a call that says, "Now my modem doesn't work!" or
    something like that.

    If you don't give me access to an account, and I need it, either I'm going
    to call and ask for the password, or I'm going to get in another way so I
    can finish the repair. I'd tell you that I got into the computer, though.
    It's not like I'm sneaking around. Most people leave their computers so
    unsecured that it's simple to get in without resorting anything fancy.

    Of course, the curiousness of the repair folks is going to depend on who
    they are. If you take the computer to a shop where there are a dozen teenage
    guys who get paid by the hour, they might be interested in what music you
    have or what photos. I doubt anyone cares to read your tax documents unless
    they know you and want to see if you really can afford that BMW. Otherwise,
    it's irrelevant data. "Some guy who brought his computer in made $45 thou
    last year!" Unless they know you, who cares?

    If you have things that you don't want other people to see, your best bet is
    to keep them off of your computer. Put them on CDs or a removable/external
    drive. Then you don't need to worry about taking the computer for repairs.
    Then you just need to worry about security issues when the computer is in
    your house.

    D.Currie, Jul 2, 2004
  9. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > If you have things that you don't want other people to see, your best bet is
    > to keep them off of your computer. Put them on CDs or a removable/external
    > drive.

    I always think it's funny when people save things to DVD or CD that they
    don't want people to find, and then dispose of them in the common trash
    without breaking them - about the same as saying, here I am, see what's
    on me :)

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jul 2, 2004
  10. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    D.Currie spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> Burp* wrote:
    >>> Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    >>> There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
    >>> access to your porn.

    >> Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that
    >> concerns me so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my
    >> children that are very personal and my own notes and journal and
    >> emails and financial details.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards

    <blah,blah,blah,blah>

    Blah, Blah, blah,blah,blah,blah. He asked if anyone could access his files
    if he took his computer in for repairs. He didn't want to know what size
    shoes you fit, you ****.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  11. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>> The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly
    >>> as you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they
    >>> want.

    >> Ahh, shit you say ?

    > If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that
    > only you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and
    > access the file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select
    > properties, select Security (or some order like this) and then
    > advanced and then Ownership and then take ownership of the file - you
    > can now do anything you want with it.

    I know this you cockeyed **** ! You need to wash that ice cream,snot and
    dirt off your face, mums calling, i think dinners ready.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  12. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> If you have things that you don't want other people to see, your
    >> best bet is to keep them off of your computer. Put them on CDs or a
    >> removable/external drive.

    > I always think it's funny when people save things to DVD or CD that
    > they don't want people to find, and then dispose of them in the
    > common trash without breaking them - about the same as saying, here I
    > am, see what's on me :)

    Stay outa the common trash.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  13. Mhzjunkie wrote:
    | Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    |
    || In article <>,
    || says...
    ||| Ahh, shit you say ?
    || If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that
    || only you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and
    || access the file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select
    || properties, select Security (or some order like this) and then
    || advanced and then Ownership and then take ownership of the file - you
    || can now do anything you want with it.
    |
    | I know this you cockeyed **** ! You need to wash that ice cream,snot
    | and dirt off your face, mums calling, i think dinners ready.

    Oh, ice cream and snot, I mistook it for spunk. Maybe it's just in his hair
    then, eh?

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Francina Rockhold, Jul 2, 2004
  14. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Francina Rockhold spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    > Mhzjunkie wrote:
    >> Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    >>
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that
    >>> only you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and
    >>> access the file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select
    >>> properties, select Security (or some order like this) and then
    >>> advanced and then Ownership and then take ownership of the file -
    >>> you can now do anything you want with it.

    >> I know this you cockeyed **** ! You need to wash that ice cream,snot
    >> and dirt off your face, mums calling, i think dinners ready.

    > Oh, ice cream and snot, I mistook it for spunk. Maybe it's just in
    > his hair then, eh?

    It's proabably all over his bottom as well.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  15. Mhzjunkie wrote:
    | Francina Rockhold spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits
    | myself :
    |
    || Mhzjunkie wrote:
    ||| Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    ||| I know this you cockeyed **** ! You need to wash that ice cream,snot
    ||| and dirt off your face, mums calling, i think dinners ready.
    || Oh, ice cream and snot, I mistook it for spunk. Maybe it's just in
    || his hair then, eh?
    |
    | It's proabably all over his bottom as well.

    Wassat? Ice-cream or spunk?

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Jul 2, 2004
  16. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits
    myself :

    > Mhzjunkie wrote:
    >> Francina Rockhold spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits
    >> myself :

    >>> Oh, ice cream and snot, I mistook it for spunk. Maybe it's just in
    >>> his hair then, eh?

    >> It's proabably all over his bottom as well.

    > Wassat? Ice-cream or spunk?

    Haven't looked and isn't about to. Let him starve.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  17. Mike

    Lamah Sato Guest

    Mhzjunkie wrote:
    | Lord Gazwad of Grantham spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few
    | bits myself :
    |
    || Mhzjunkie wrote:
    ||| Francina Rockhold spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits
    ||| myself :
    ||| It's proabably all over his bottom as well.
    || Wassat? Ice-cream or spunk?
    |
    | Haven't looked and isn't about to. Let him starve.

    It's a funny ol' thing innit, he'll either starve to death or "eat shit and
    die".

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lamah Sato, Jul 2, 2004
  18. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> Ahh, shit you say ?

    > > If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that
    > > only you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and
    > > access the file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select
    > > properties, select Security (or some order like this) and then
    > > advanced and then Ownership and then take ownership of the file - you
    > > can now do anything you want with it.

    > I know this you cockeyed **** ! You need to wash that ice cream,snot and
    > dirt off your face, mums calling, i think dinners ready.

    Um, I'm not sure you did understand it - you posted a Question. Why do
    you have to be rude, I didn't say anything rude to you.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jul 2, 2004
  19. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    Do your two parents, both of which must be from the same tree, know that
    they left their computer on and the kids are playing with it?

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jul 2, 2004
  20. "Mhzjunkie" <> wrote in message
    > Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> Ahh, shit you say ?

    > > If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that
    > > only you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and
    > > access the file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select
    > > properties, select Security (or some order like this) and then
    > > advanced and then Ownership and then take ownership of the file - you
    > > can now do anything you want with it.

    > I know this you cockeyed **** ! You need to wash that ice cream,snot and
    > dirt off your face, mums calling, i think dinners ready.

    Mhzjunkie, you rude little punk. Leythos was just trying to help you.

    Eldridge Currie, Jul 2, 2004