    The weird part is is that I can surf the net and view other PCs just fine.

    Any ideas what's going on ?
    Thankyou very much.

    Scott, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Hi
    Bridging is a specific function to Bridge two separate Networks. Can you
    explain the nature of your Bridging configuration?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 25, 2008

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I have a Playstation 2 connected to the PC via cat5 cable. The PC gets online
    via wireless card and I bridge the 2 to allow the PS2 to do online gaming.
    To bridge I simply right click both ports and select Bridge Connections.

    It was actually suggested here to do it that way rather than the ICS that I
    used to do previously.

    Scott, Jun 25, 2008
  4. "Scott" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Playstation 2 connected to the PC via cat5 cable. The PC gets
    >online
    > via wireless card and I bridge the 2 to allow the PS2 to do online gaming.
    > To bridge I simply right click both ports and select Bridge Connections.
    >
    > It was actually suggested here to do it that way rather than the ICS that
    > used to do previously.

    Save yourself a bunch of trouble. Stop using the PC for the Playstation to
    begin with. Your Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router is going to have
    about 4 wired ports for using wired devices. Connect the playstation to it
    with a cable,...move them closer together if you have to,...or see if there
    is a wireless adapter you can buy for the playstation.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jun 25, 2008
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    It's really no trouble. The router and PS2 are at opposite ends of the house.
    The wireless PC in question my XPMCE2005 Media Centre in the lounge room. My
    online PS2 gaming works fine. I just can't understand why XP reports the
    wireless card as Not Connected if I connect to my WLAN while bridged.

    Scott, Jun 26, 2008
  6. They aren't "viewed" by the Operating System in the same way one they are
    "bridged". When you "bridge" something you create a BVI (Bridged Virtual
    Interface),...at least that is what Cisco calls it in some of their
    equipment. The OS looks at the BVI instead of the individual physical Nics,
    so from the OS's perspective the normal interface doesn't exist anymore (so
    therefore is disconnected) and the physical Nics Ports become nothing more
    than Switch Ports (Layer2) and the actual Layer3 interface is only "virtual"
    and only exists in software and RAM.

    Get rid of the bridging, move the devices closer together somehow, or run a
    cable over the distance, or get a wireless adapter in the Playstation.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jun 26, 2008
  7. Scott

    Marc Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > It's really no trouble. The router and PS2 are at opposite ends of the
    > house.
    > The wireless PC in question my XPMCE2005 Media Centre in the lounge room.
    > My
    > online PS2 gaming works fine. I just can't understand why XP reports the
    > wireless card as Not Connected if I connect to my WLAN while bridged.

    It's a bug in XP, there are two ways I know to fix it; (1) if SP3 has been
    installed open Network Connections right click Network Bridge and open it's
    Properties: is the wireless connection "connected"? (2) Reboot.

    Use the Windows Zero Configuration to control wireless. Let the computer sit
    at the Windows logon prompt for about 30 seconds or longer when starting and
    after reboot, this gives the Wireless adapter plenty of time to establish a
    wireless connection and communicate with network devices.

    Marc, Jun 26, 2008