    lilc42
    lilc420's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1389
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181908324
    lilc420, Jun 21, 2005

  2. lilc420

    Guest

    On lilc420 <> wrote:

    |>I am running Win XP Home and after startup it shuts down within 15 sec.
    |>I do not get the massage that it will shut down in 60 sec. like some

    I see it, I can't think of anything :)

    |>state. I cannot go into Control panel, Task Manager, or MSCONFIG cause
    |>it wont stay on long enough. But the kicker is I can log in Safe Mode
    |>and stay on all day.
    |>
    |>I tried System Restore and it goes all the way through... restarts the
    |>PC... then says "Failed to restore" Any ideas?

    How quick can you type :) try this:

    WinKey+R shutdown -a <enter>

    (this supposedly aborts a shutdown)

    Being able to get into safemode only - would indicate a problem with a
    driver, what was the last thing you installed and work from there.

    --
    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf (dsl)
    , Jun 21, 2005

  3. lilc420

    lilc420 Guest

    lilc420, Jun 21, 2005
  4. lilc420 wrote:

    > Type that in the RUN command?

    Type *what* in the RUM command?

    Learn to quote.

    Learn to use Usenet (that's where you are - you just don't know it).

    ===Boilerplate===

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
    some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
    IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
    capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
    control of your own Usenet experience.

    [1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
    which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
    that wasn't meant for webification.

    =================

    --
    Blinky
    International Thank Your Developers Week - June 20-27, 2005
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 21, 2005
  5. lilc420

    Guest

    , Jun 21, 2005
  6. lilc420

    Vanguard Guest

    "lilc420" <> wrote in message

    > I am running Win XP Home and after startup it shuts down within 15
    > sec.
    > I do not get the massage that it will shut down in 60 sec. like some
    > state. I cannot go into Control panel, Task Manager, or MSCONFIG cause
    > it wont stay on long enough. But the kicker is I can log in Safe Mode
    > and stay on all day.
    >
    > I tried System Restore and it goes all the way through... restarts the
    > PC... then says "Failed to restore" Any ideas?

    If the shutdown doesn't occur when using msconfig to disable all startup
    programs, well, there is a really BIG clue right there. Reenable the
    startup items one at a time until the culprit shows itself which is
    probably malware. When was the last time you scanned using a recently
    updated anti-virus program, Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware,
    and other such anti-malware tools? Could be malicious, could be you
    simply load a crappy program on Windows startup, but obviously it loads
    using one of the standard load locations shown in msconfig so just as
    obvious is that you can obviate its effects by simply not loading it.
    Use msconfig to disable all and then reenable them one at a time until
    the problem is exhibited again. Then you know the last one you
    reenabled is the culprit.
    Vanguard, Jun 21, 2005
  7. lilc420

    unwashed Guest

    ">
    > If the shutdown doesn't occur when using msconfig to disable all startup
    > programs, well, there is a really BIG clue right there. Reenable the
    > startup items one at a time until the culprit shows itself which is
    > probably malware. When was the last time you scanned using a recently
    > updated anti-virus program, Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware,
    > and other such anti-malware tools? Could be malicious, could be you
    > simply load a crappy program on Windows startup, but obviously it loads
    > using one of the standard load locations shown in msconfig so just as
    > obvious is that you can obviate its effects by simply not loading it. Use
    > msconfig to disable all and then reenable them one at a time until the
    > problem is exhibited again. Then you know the last one you reenabled is
    > the culprit.

    She can't get into MSCONFIG as it shuts down, try reading what she wrote!
    unwashed, Jun 21, 2005
  8. lilc420

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > lilc420 wrote:
    >
    >> Type that in the RUN command?

    > Type *what* in the RUM command?
    >
    > Learn to quote.

    Oh yeah? Well, you've got pasty faces.
    --
    Me am quote good.
    trout, Jun 21, 2005
  9. lilc420

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:12:33 -0500, lilc420 <> wrote:

    >I am running Win XP Home and after startup it shuts down within 15 sec.
    >I do not get the massage that it will shut down in 60 sec. like some
    >state. I cannot go into Control panel, Task Manager, or MSCONFIG cause
    >it wont stay on long enough. But the kicker is I can log in Safe Mode
    >and stay on all day.
    >
    >I tried System Restore and it goes all the way through... restarts the
    >PC... then says "Failed to restore" Any ideas?

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Start up in the safe mode, Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three sub-categories for the red
    flagged error records. The date and time of these should correspond to your restarts. Double
    click on an error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want:
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced. In the Startup and Recovery section,
    click on the "Settings" button to open the Startup and Recovery window. In the System Failure
    section, uncheck "Automatically restart",Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change, the computer will no longer restart when a system failure occurs. Instead it
    will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of Death" with a STOP error message and then halt
    completely, requiring a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch). But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue as to the
    underlying cause of the problem.

    Your restarts could also be due to a virus.
    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 53 known viruses and trojans and repair them.
    You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this is a
    stand alone program. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
    Direct download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/s-t-i-n-g-e-r.exe

    NOTE: Disable System restore BEFORE you run Stinger:

    Microsoft provides free anti-virus software that can be used for 1 year.
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Free online virus scanners:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://security.norton.com/default.asp?langid=us&venid=sym
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/onlineviruscheck.html
    http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
    Unk, Jun 21, 2005
  10. lilc420

    Vanguard Guest

    "unwashed" <> wrote in message

    > ">
    >> If the shutdown doesn't occur when using msconfig to disable all
    >> startup programs, well, there is a really BIG clue right there.
    >> Reenable the startup items one at a time until the culprit shows
    >> itself which is probably malware. When was the last time you scanned
    >> using a recently updated anti-virus program, Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D,
    >> Microsoft AntiSpyware, and other such anti-malware tools? Could be
    >> malicious, could be you simply load a crappy program on Windows
    >> startup, but obviously it loads using one of the standard load
    >> locations shown in msconfig so just as obvious is that you can
    >> obviate its effects by simply not loading it. Use msconfig to disable
    >> all and then reenable them one at a time until the problem is
    >> exhibited again. Then you know the last one you reenabled is the
    >> culprit.

    > She can't get into MSCONFIG as it shuts down, try reading what she
    > wrote!

    Read her original post where it says, "But the kicker is I can log in
    Safe Mode
    and stay on all day." So, yes, she can run msconfig.
    Vanguard, Jun 21, 2005
  11. lilc420

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > lilc420 wrote:

    >> Type that in the RUN command?

    > Type *what* in the RUM command?

    > Learn to quote.

    > Learn to use Usenet (that's where you are - you just don't know it).

    >===Boilerplate===
    >
    > You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    > fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
    > some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
    > IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
    > capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
    > control of your own Usenet experience.

    > [1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
    > which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
    > that wasn't meant for webification.

    >=================

    #
    ## Kill Web Forum Posts
    #

    Score:: =-9999

    Am I missing any? }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    An effective way to deal with predators is to
    taste terrible.
    DC, Jun 23, 2005