    problem. But in XP, when I go to Start>Shutdown>Restart, the computer
    hangs and the shutting down screen.

    Is there some way for me to locate the problem? Thanks for any help.

    Opsimath, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Opsimath

    Jamco Guest

    any errors showing up in event viewer

    Jamco, Jul 29, 2005

  3. Opsimath

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:36:11 -0400, Opsimath wrote:

    >Does anyone know what would cause a difference in the computer
    >response to the 'Restart' command when issued by msconfig or by
    >Windows XP? When exiting msconfig, I say 'ok' to restart and have no
    >problem. But in XP, when I go to Start>Shutdown>Restart, the computer
    >hangs and the shutting down screen.
    >
    >Is there some way for me to locate the problem? Thanks for any help.

    Yes, research and reading.

    Searching the often posted and mentioned www.google.com ,
    http://support.microsoft.com ,

    Many posts you will find point to -

    The excellent aumha site and in particular this page
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    and eldergeek pages and this url
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

    From an Unk post

    "It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try to
    Shut Down Your WinXP,
    Win2000 Computer. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

    You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431

    Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274

    You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008

    Boot or shutdown problems after Service Pack 2 installation
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Boot_or_shutdown_problems_after_Service_Pack_2_installation

    Me

    why?, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Opsimath

    Opsimath Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:25:36 GMT, why?

    |On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:36:11 -0400, Opsimath wrote:
    |
    |>Does anyone know what would cause a difference in the computer
    |>response to the 'Restart' command when issued by msconfig or by
    |>Windows XP? When exiting msconfig, I say 'ok' to restart and have
    no
    |>problem. But in XP, when I go to Start>Shutdown>Restart, the
    computer
    |>hangs and the shutting down screen.
    |>
    |>Is there some way for me to locate the problem? Thanks for any help.
    |
    |Yes, research and reading.
    |
    |Searching the often posted and mentioned www.google.com ,
    |http://support.microsoft.com ,
    |http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    |
    |Many posts you will find point to -
    |
    |The excellent aumha site and in particular this page
    |http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    |and eldergeek pages and this url
    |http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm
    |

    |From an Unk post

    |"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try
    |Shut Down Your WinXP,
    |Win2000 Computer. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903
    |
    |Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    |http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029
    |
    |You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based
    computer
    |http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431
    |
    |Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
    |http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274
    |
    |You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
    |http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008
    |
    |Boot or shutdown problems after Service Pack 2 installation
    |http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Boot_or_shutdown_problems_after_Service_Pack_2_installation

    I guess I didn't state the question properly. What I want to know is -
    is there any difference in the Restart command given to the computer
    using Start>Shutdown>Restart and that given by msconfig when it
    advises a restart? I should think they are the same command and the
    computer should restart each time. But my computer will restart from
    the msconfig command; it won't from the manual command.

    Thank you for the above links. I have set aside today to read and
    learn.

    Opsimath, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Opsimath

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:38:13 -0400, Opsimath wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:25:36 GMT, why?
    >

    >|On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:36:11 -0400, Opsimath wrote:
    >|
    >|>Does anyone know what would cause a difference in the computer
    >|>response to the 'Restart' command when issued by msconfig or by
    >|>Windows XP? When exiting msconfig, I say 'ok' to restart and have
    >no
    >|>problem. But in XP, when I go to Start>Shutdown>Restart, the
    >computer
    >|>hangs and the shutting down screen.
    >|>
    >|>Is there some way for me to locate the problem? Thanks for any help.
    >|
    >|Yes, research and reading.
    >|
    >|Searching the often posted and mentioned www.google.com ,
    >|http://support.microsoft.com ,
    >|http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    >|
    >|Many posts you will find point to -

    <snip>

    >I guess I didn't state the question properly. What I want to know is -

    You did okay, however is it the difference that's important or the fact
    that 1 way restarts as you appear to want and the other not, causing a
    hang.

    The links provided deal with shutdown issues, so maybe you will find an
    answer to your 1st query, I haven't read any of the references given,
    never having such issues to worry about.

    >is there any difference in the Restart command given to the computer
    >using Start>Shutdown>Restart and that given by msconfig when it

    Ask Microsoft?

    >advises a restart? I should think they are the same command and the

    It's a MS product.

    >computer should restart each time. But my computer will restart from
    >the msconfig command; it won't from the manual command.

    Maybe try in the MS newsgroups, some of them are -

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.beta.help-and-support
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.music
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.video
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

    A few of those should help.

    Other can be found using the web frontend.
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp
    you really nedd to use MS IE for that site.

    >Thank you for the above links. I have set aside today to read and
    >learn.

    YW.

    Me

    why?, Jul 31, 2005