    Sorry if this is a daft question ---I live in hope
    TIA
    Clive

    Clive Bundy, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Clive Bundy

    Trax Guest

    "Clive Bundy" <> wrote:

    |>Help/advice Please
    |>I recently had a virus invasion, it LOOKS as though I have removed the
    |>infection, all the tests online type and otherwise say they are got but I
    |>suspect some files are missing or damaged in my operating system Windows XP
    |>home edition SP2
    |>Is there a way to repair XP without too great a chance of loosing too much
    |>of my personal data.
    |>Sorry if this is a daft question ---I live in hope
    |>TIA
    |>Clive

    SFC /SCANNOW http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    will check for need'd files.

    If you installed SP2 over XP then you will most likely need to
    slipstream your XP
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    for SFC to work properly.

    --
    The coolest thing you'll see all day: Montage of old Isuzu Gemini Commercials,
    replete with amazing stunts - Fark.com

    Trax, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Clive Bundy

    someone Guest

    "Clive Bundy" <> wrote in message
    > Help/advice Please
    > I recently had a virus invasion, it LOOKS as though I have removed the
    > infection, all the tests online type and otherwise say they are got but I
    > suspect some files are missing or damaged in my operating system Windows
    > XP home edition SP2
    > Is there a way to repair XP without too great a chance of loosing too much
    > of my personal data.
    > Sorry if this is a daft question ---I live in hope
    > TIA
    > Clive

    You can do a System File Check If you have a WinXPSP2 CD.
    That`s the one with SP2 included.
    If not boot with your XP CD and do a system repair.

    someone, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Clive Bundy

    > Help/advice Please
    > I recently had a virus invasion, it LOOKS as though I have removed the
    > infection, all the tests online type and otherwise say they are got but I
    > suspect some files are missing or damaged in my operating system Windows
    > XP home edition SP2
    > Is there a way to repair XP without too great a chance of loosing too much
    > of my personal data.
    > Sorry if this is a daft question ---I live in hope
    > TIA
    > Clive

    On second thoughts. What CD have you got ?.
    Is it a proprietry repair CD ?.

    someone, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Clive Bundy

    Plato Guest

    Clive Bundy wrote:

    > Help/advice Please
    > I recently had a virus invasion, it LOOKS as though I have removed the
    > infection, all the tests online type and otherwise say they are got but I
    > suspect some files are missing or damaged in my operating system Windows XP
    > home edition SP2

    As usual, when you remove nasties the damage they may have caused may
    still remain.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 25, 2006
  6. Clive Bundy

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:45:18 GMT, "someone" <> wrote:

    >"Clive Bundy" <> wrote in message
    >> Help/advice Please
    >> I recently had a virus invasion, it LOOKS as though I have removed the
    >> infection, all the tests online type and otherwise say they are got but I
    >> suspect some files are missing or damaged in my operating system Windows
    >> XP home edition SP2
    >> Is there a way to repair XP without too great a chance of loosing too much
    >> of my personal data.
    >> Sorry if this is a daft question ---I live in hope
    >> TIA
    >> Clive

    >On second thoughts. What CD have you got ?.
    >Is it a proprietry repair CD ?.

    DO NOT use a manufacturer Restore CD (like Dell , HP, compaq).

    using one of these restore cds will WIPE your hard drive off ALL its
    data and restore your computer to its original state like when you
    bought it.

    , Mar 26, 2006
  7. Clive Bundy

    DTDoyle Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:45:18 GMT, "someone" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Clive Bundy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Help/advice Please
    >>> I recently had a virus invasion, it LOOKS as though I have removed the
    >>> infection, all the tests online type and otherwise say they are got but I
    >>> suspect some files are missing or damaged in my operating system Windows
    >>> XP home edition SP2
    >>> Is there a way to repair XP without too great a chance of loosing too much
    >>> of my personal data.
    >>> Sorry if this is a daft question ---I live in hope
    >>> TIA
    >>> Clive

    >> On second thoughts. What CD have you got ?.
    >> Is it a proprietry repair CD ?.
    >>

    > DO NOT use a manufacturer Restore CD (like Dell , HP, compaq).
    >
    > using one of these restore cds will WIPE your hard drive off ALL its
    > data and restore your computer to its original state like when you
    > bought it.

    I just Re-did my daughter's Dell laptop with the restore CD and was
    offered three options, Recover Console, Repair existing OS, and Full
    Install

    DTDoyle, Mar 26, 2006