xp repair install - product key invalid - "install will continue" ad nauseum

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by code_wrong, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    hi,
    A friend gave me his computer to fix .. it was restarting over and over .. I
    could not get into safe mode ..I read on a forum that it might be caused by
    windows updates .. so I removed the last few updates using the recovery
    console. No joy .... So then I decided to do a repair install using the XP
    pro disk ... when I got to the product license key it was rejected ... Now I
    am stuck in the "the setup program will resume" (or some such) ..

    so I have made no progress with this. instead of continua rebooting I can't
    get passed the part in the repair install where I must enter a valid product
    key.

    My friend assures me this is a valid cd with a valid product key.

    How should I proceed?

    There are important files on the disk .. I guess I could download the Linux
    that can boots from CD ... and then use it to burn the important files from
    the hard disk to an external cd writer ... .. my main xp system is a laptop
    ... so I don't think it would have a slave IDE slot .. My other system is
    windows 95 .. so I doubt it would read an NTFS disk .......

    any ideas?

    code_wrong, Jul 11, 2005

  2. code_wrong

    Ron Martell Guest

    "code_wrong" <> wrote:

    >My friend assures me this is a valid cd with a valid product key.

    Yes, but is it a valid key for that particular type of CD?

    Each type and version of Windows XP (and there are getting to be quite
    a few) has their own specific coding incorporated into the product
    key.

    And unless the product key used is a valid key for that particular
    type of CD it will be rejected, even though it may be a fully valid
    key when used with the proper CD.

    The product key and the CD must match not only with respect to the
    version of Windows XP (e.g. Home, Pro, Tablet, Media Center) but also
    the type (Retail Full Install, Retail Upgrade, OEM, Volume License).

    Hope this helps to sort out the problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP