    Is their anyway to get this remote assistance to work over the internet with
    this config? I have some idea that perhaps it could be possible by doing
    port mapping but I am not sure.
    JedMeister, Apr 26, 2004

  2. JedMeister

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:33:16 +1200, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, my parents just got a new PC with xp home, and DSE ADSL router (uses
    >NAT, but no UpnP).
    >
    >I am running xp pro, with the same DSE NAT ADSL router.
    >
    >It would be good to use the remote assistance feature in Windows XP to check
    >their PC when necessary.
    >
    >But, it seems that standard remote assistance does not work when both
    >parties are behind non-uPnP ADSL routers.
    >
    >Is their anyway to get this remote assistance to work over the internet with
    >this config? I have some idea that perhaps it could be possible by doing
    >port mapping but I am not sure.

    You will probably need to map the ports that Remote Assistance is using,
    probably only on your parents router. Perhaps using a 3rd party program to do
    it (the remote admin) might be easier, there are lots around. You'll still need
    to map the port, whatever software you use, on your parents end.
    Craig Shore, Apr 26, 2004

  3. JedMeister

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi, my parents just got a new PC with xp home, and DSE ADSL router (uses
    >NAT, but no UpnP).
    >
    >I am running xp pro, with the same DSE NAT ADSL router.
    >
    >It would be good to use the remote assistance feature in Windows XP to check
    >their PC when necessary.
    >
    >But, it seems that standard remote assistance does not work when both
    >parties are behind non-uPnP ADSL routers.
    >
    >Is their anyway to get this remote assistance to work over the internet with
    >this config? I have some idea that perhaps it could be possible by doing
    >port mapping but I am not sure.

    You'll have to pinhole port 3389 on one or both routers.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Apr 26, 2004
  4. JedMeister

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Craig Shore <> expelled:

    > You will probably need to map the ports that Remote Assistance is
    > using, probably only on your parents router. Perhaps using a 3rd
    > party program to do it (the remote admin) might be easier, there are
    > lots around. You'll still need to map the port, whatever software you
    > use, on your parents end.

    My pick of the third party remote software is Dameware.
    http://www.dameware.com

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Apr 26, 2004
  5. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    Thanks , will give this a try next time I visit my parents.

    JedMeister, Apr 26, 2004
  6. JedMeister

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in

    > Thanks , will give this a try next time I visit my parents.
    >

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:33:16 +1200, "JedMeister"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi, my parents just got a new PC with xp home, and DSE ADSL router
    >> >(uses NAT, but no UpnP).
    >> >
    >> >I am running xp pro, with the same DSE NAT ADSL router.
    >> >
    >> >It would be good to use the remote assistance feature in Windows XP

    > check
    >> >their PC when necessary.
    >> >
    >> >But, it seems that standard remote assistance does not work when
    >> >both parties are behind non-uPnP ADSL routers.
    >> >
    >> >Is their anyway to get this remote assistance to work over the
    >> >internet

    > with
    >> >this config? I have some idea that perhaps it could be possible by
    >> >doing port mapping but I am not sure.
    >> >

    >> You'll have to pinhole port 3389 on one or both routers.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    You could also get them to email you the file that the help and support
    page can make. That will help through one layer of NAT.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 27, 2004
  7. JedMeister

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:23:00 +1200, "EMB" <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Craig Shore <> expelled:
    >>
    >> You will probably need to map the ports that Remote Assistance is
    >> using, probably only on your parents router. Perhaps using a 3rd
    >> party program to do it (the remote admin) might be easier, there are
    >> lots around. You'll still need to map the port, whatever software you
    >> use, on your parents end.

    >My pick of the third party remote software is Dameware.
    >http://www.dameware.com

    For what is needed here, Remote Administrator would probably be
    better, and cheaper.

    http://www.famatech.com/solutions/
    Craig Shore, Apr 28, 2004
  8. JedMeister

    JedMeister Guest

    Thanks for the recommendations, I will keep these in mind if the xp
    solutions do not work or are inadequate.

    JedMeister, Apr 29, 2004
  9. JedMeister

    rogergrand

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    If both computers are on same network, you can use Microsoft default RDP tool. You need to enter target computer IP address in order to remotely access it. However, if computers are on different networks, I would recommend using remote support tools like logmein, RHUB, Bomgar, GoSupportNow, TeamViewer etc.
    rogergrand, Mar 18, 2014