    Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option of
    creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at random.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 30, 2005

  2. E. Scrooge

    Jerry Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > There was a thread either here or in nz.general about PCs having no recovery
    > CD, but with the Hard Drive partitioned to make a bit of it for recovery of
    > XP.
    >
    > A new budget Compaq I've been helping a guy learn to use has no Recovery CD
    > with Recover files on D drive a partition of the main Hard Drive.
    >
    > Anyway a strange thing happened today and fortunately while I was at the
    > computer. A Compaq window popped up advising to create XP Recovery CDs from
    > the data files on the Hard Drive.
    > Since the guy doesn't have any blank CDRs I selected the "remind again
    > later" option. Seems that those with Recovery files on a Hard Drive only
    > aren't quite so bad off after all.
    >
    > Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option of
    > creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at random.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    If you take the option of making the recovery CDs it erases the recovery
    partition, so you have to hope nothing happens to the CDs. I'd look at
    ghosting the hard drive, making the CDs and then ghosting back, or order
    the CDs from HP. Go to www.hp.co.nz/driversondisk.

    Jerry, Sep 30, 2005

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> There was a thread either here or in nz.general about PCs having no
    >> recovery CD, but with the Hard Drive partitioned to make a bit of it for
    >> recovery of XP.
    >>
    >> A new budget Compaq I've been helping a guy learn to use has no Recovery
    >> CD with Recover files on D drive a partition of the main Hard Drive.
    >>
    >> Anyway a strange thing happened today and fortunately while I was at the
    >> computer. A Compaq window popped up advising to create XP Recovery CDs
    >> from the data files on the Hard Drive.
    >> Since the guy doesn't have any blank CDRs I selected the "remind again
    >> later" option. Seems that those with Recovery files on a Hard Drive only
    >> aren't quite so bad off after all.
    >>
    >> Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option
    >> of creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at
    >> random.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > If you take the option of making the recovery CDs it erases the recovery
    > partition, so you have to hope nothing happens to the CDs. I'd look at
    > ghosting the hard drive, making the CDs and then ghosting back, or order
    > the CDs from HP. Go to www.hp.co.nz/driversondisk.

    What a dag. Thanks for that, Jerry. I was expecting it to make the CDs as
    an alternative in case the Hard Drive stuffed up preventing the files from
    working off it.
    Sounds like the files are booby trapped, stuff the CDs and you lose the lot.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 30, 2005
  4. E. Scrooge

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:06:13 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >"Jerry" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> There was a thread either here or in nz.general about PCs having no
    >>> recovery CD, but with the Hard Drive partitioned to make a bit of it for
    >>> recovery of XP.
    >>>
    >>> A new budget Compaq I've been helping a guy learn to use has no Recovery
    >>> CD with Recover files on D drive a partition of the main Hard Drive.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway a strange thing happened today and fortunately while I was at the
    >>> computer. A Compaq window popped up advising to create XP Recovery CDs
    >>> from the data files on the Hard Drive.
    >>> Since the guy doesn't have any blank CDRs I selected the "remind again
    >>> later" option. Seems that those with Recovery files on a Hard Drive only
    >>> aren't quite so bad off after all.
    >>>
    >>> Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option
    >>> of creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at
    >>> random.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> If you take the option of making the recovery CDs it erases the recovery
    >> partition, so you have to hope nothing happens to the CDs. I'd look at
    >> ghosting the hard drive, making the CDs and then ghosting back, or order
    >> the CDs from HP. Go to www.hp.co.nz/driversondisk.

    >What a dag. Thanks for that, Jerry. I was expecting it to make the CDs as
    >an alternative in case the Hard Drive stuffed up preventing the files from
    >working off it.
    >Sounds like the files are booby trapped, stuff the CDs and you lose the lot.

    Take a LOT of blanks. I recently made a set for someone and it took 12
    CDs....(and a lot of time!) I don't think they've heard of compression, lol!

    Invisible, Sep 30, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:06:13 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"Jerry" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you take the option of making the recovery CDs it erases the recovery
    >>> partition, so you have to hope nothing happens to the CDs. I'd look at
    >>> ghosting the hard drive, making the CDs and then ghosting back, or order
    >>> the CDs from HP. Go to www.hp.co.nz/driversondisk.

    >>What a dag. Thanks for that, Jerry. I was expecting it to make the CDs as
    >>an alternative in case the Hard Drive stuffed up preventing the files from
    >>working off it.
    >>Sounds like the files are booby trapped, stuff the CDs and you lose the lot.
    >>

    >Take a LOT of blanks. I recently made a set for someone and it took 12
    >CDs....(and a lot of time!) I don't think they've heard of compression, lol!

    Does it verify the CDs after burning them? Otherwise you could end up
    with useless duds after it has deleted the original.

    Don't you just love the artificial-scarcity requirement of the
    closed-source business model?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005
  6. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:06:13 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz

    (*sling)>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Jerry" <> wrote in message

    for

    Recovery

    the

    CDs

    only

    option

    > >> If you take the option of making the recovery CDs it erases the

    recovery
    > >> partition, so you have to hope nothing happens to the CDs. I'd look at
    > >> ghosting the hard drive, making the CDs and then ghosting back, or

    order
    > >> the CDs from HP. Go to www.hp.co.nz/driversondisk.

    > >What a dag. Thanks for that, Jerry. I was expecting it to make the CDs

    as
    > >an alternative in case the Hard Drive stuffed up preventing the files

    from
    > >working off it.
    > >Sounds like the files are booby trapped, stuff the CDs and you lose the

    lot.

    > Take a LOT of blanks. I recently made a set for someone and it took 12
    > CDs....(and a lot of time!) I don't think they've heard of compression,

    lol!

    Hell, I was expecting it to take about 4 CDs. There's 2.4 GB in the
    partition.
    If it takes 12 CDs it probably wouldn't be worth the hassles of having to
    bugger around with that lot. With 256MB RAM it would take a bit of time all
    right.
    Thanks for that, as that makes a big difference all right. It's a wonder
    the damn HP/Compaq pop up window doesn't indicate that 12 CDs are needed.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2005
  7. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1128072125.488620@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > There was a thread either here or in nz.general about PCs having no recovery
    > CD, but with the Hard Drive partitioned to make a bit of it for recovery of
    > XP.
    >
    > A new budget Compaq I've been helping a guy learn to use has no Recovery CD
    > with Recover files on D drive a partition of the main Hard Drive.
    >
    > Anyway a strange thing happened today and fortunately while I was at the
    > computer. A Compaq window popped up advising to create XP Recovery CDs from
    > the data files on the Hard Drive.
    > Since the guy doesn't have any blank CDRs I selected the "remind again
    > later" option. Seems that those with Recovery files on a Hard Drive only
    > aren't quite so bad off after all.
    >
    > Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option of
    > creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at random.

    Should be an option in the Start menu... somewhere.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 1, 2005
  8. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1128072125.488620@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >> There was a thread either here or in nz.general about PCs having no
    >> recovery
    >> CD, but with the Hard Drive partitioned to make a bit of it for recovery
    >> of
    >> XP.
    >>
    >> A new budget Compaq I've been helping a guy learn to use has no Recovery
    >> CD
    >> with Recover files on D drive a partition of the main Hard Drive.
    >>
    >> Anyway a strange thing happened today and fortunately while I was at the
    >> computer. A Compaq window popped up advising to create XP Recovery CDs
    >> from
    >> the data files on the Hard Drive.
    >> Since the guy doesn't have any blank CDRs I selected the "remind again
    >> later" option. Seems that those with Recovery files on a Hard Drive only
    >> aren't quite so bad off after all.
    >>
    >> Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option
    >> of
    >> creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at random.

    > Should be an option in the Start menu... somewhere.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Could be too thanks, Duncan.
    Since it needs 12 CDs I don't think I'll bother. I could sit through 4 CDs
    hoping they'll stay reliable enough afterwards if ever needed, but not 12 of
    the buggers.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2005
  9. E. Scrooge

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 15:53:10 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)>
    wrote:

    >Could be too thanks, Duncan.
    >Since it needs 12 CDs I don't think I'll bother. I could sit through 4 CDs
    >hoping they'll stay reliable enough afterwards if ever needed, but not 12 of
    >the buggers.

    I gather the Compaq would take as many as the HP did. I honestly can't remember
    if they did a verify or not. I know the burn time was incredibly long - took
    around 90-120 minutes. I was hoping that nothing F'd up during the procedure
    incase it wouldn't pick up where it left off.

    Invisible, Oct 1, 2005
  10. E. Scrooge

    Jerry Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <1128072125.488620@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >>>There was a thread either here or in nz.general about PCs having no
    >>>recovery
    >>>CD, but with the Hard Drive partitioned to make a bit of it for recovery
    >>>of
    >>>XP.
    >>>
    >>>A new budget Compaq I've been helping a guy learn to use has no Recovery
    >>>CD
    >>>with Recover files on D drive a partition of the main Hard Drive.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway a strange thing happened today and fortunately while I was at the
    >>>computer. A Compaq window popped up advising to create XP Recovery CDs
    >>>from
    >>>the data files on the Hard Drive.
    >>>Since the guy doesn't have any blank CDRs I selected the "remind again
    >>>later" option. Seems that those with Recovery files on a Hard Drive only
    >>>aren't quite so bad off after all.
    >>>
    >>>Once he gets some CDRs I'll have to figure out how to bring up the option
    >>>of
    >>>creating the CDs again, without waiting for it to appear again at random.

    >>Should be an option in the Start menu... somewhere.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Duncan

    > Could be too thanks, Duncan.
    > Since it needs 12 CDs I don't think I'll bother. I could sit through 4 CDs
    > hoping they'll stay reliable enough afterwards if ever needed, but not 12 of
    > the buggers.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    If I had one I'd ghost a virgin HDD image (both partitions) to an image,
    burn that to CD.

    Jerry, Oct 1, 2005
  11. In article <1128138694.860274@ftpsrv1>,
    "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >Since it needs 12 CDs I don't think I'll bother. I could sit through 4 CDs
    >hoping they'll stay reliable enough afterwards if ever needed, but not 12 of
    >the buggers.

    If you give up part-way through, does it delete the images of the CDs
    you've made so far?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 1, 2005
  12. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <1128138694.860274@ftpsrv1>,
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>Since it needs 12 CDs I don't think I'll bother. I could sit through 4
    >>CDs
    >>hoping they'll stay reliable enough afterwards if ever needed, but not 12
    >>of
    >>the buggers.

    > If you give up part-way through, does it delete the images of the CDs
    > you've made so far?

    I wouldn't be game to find out since it's not my PC. When the owner knows
    more about using the computer he can decide if he wants to create all those
    CDs or not himself.
    All going well the thing should be reliable enough.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2005
  13. On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:00:18 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > I wouldn't be game to find out since it's not my PC. When the owner knows
    > more about using the computer he can decide if he wants to create all those
    > CDs or not himself.
    > All going well the thing should be reliable enough.

    I wasnt game enought to try with my puter so i goughed up the money to HP
    and brought the CDs from them so i have the D: partion and the CD's now i
    feel a bit safer.

    Robin Halligan, Oct 1, 2005
  14. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Robin Halligan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:00:18 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >

    > > I wouldn't be game to find out since it's not my PC. When the owner

    knows
    > > more about using the computer he can decide if he wants to create all

    those
    > > CDs or not himself.
    > > All going well the thing should be reliable enough.

    > I wasnt game enought to try with my puter so i goughed up the money to HP
    > and brought the CDs from them so i have the D: partion and the CD's now

    > feel a bit safer.

    Thanks, I wouldn't be keen if it was my computer. If he was to ever have
    big problems later, he might as well buy XP if he ever needs to. Having 12
    CDs stored away that he might not ever need is a bit much, especially if
    there's any problem with the data on any of them.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2005
  15. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <14eh6us63yvwy$.16rxip83q0u9b$>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:00:18 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >

    > > I wouldn't be game to find out since it's not my PC. When the owner knows
    > > more about using the computer he can decide if he wants to create all those
    > > CDs or not himself.
    > > All going well the thing should be reliable enough.

    > I wasnt game enought to try with my puter so i goughed up the money to HP
    > and brought the CDs from them so i have the D: partion and the CD's now i
    > feel a bit safer.

    Yes it seems to be the safe option that most folk choose. Someone
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, as an OEM install, if you
    *were* to blow the HDD for whatever reason, the shop you purchases from
    would have to put the OS back on, fer nix.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 2, 2005
  16. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <14eh6us63yvwy$.16rxip83q0u9b$>,
    > says...
    > > On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:00:18 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    > >

    > > > I wouldn't be game to find out since it's not my PC. When the owner

    knows
    > > > more about using the computer he can decide if he wants to create all

    those
    > > > CDs or not himself.
    > > > All going well the thing should be reliable enough.

    > > I wasnt game enought to try with my puter so i goughed up the money to

    HP
    > > and brought the CDs from them so i have the D: partion and the CD's

    now i
    > > feel a bit safer.

    > Yes it seems to be the safe option that most folk choose. Someone
    > correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, as an OEM install, if you
    > *were* to blow the HDD for whatever reason, the shop you purchases from
    > would have to put the OS back on, fer nix.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    If so it would only be done in the first year of the warranty.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 2, 2005
  17. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1128223004.191128@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <14eh6us63yvwy$.16rxip83q0u9b$>,
    > > says...

    > knows

    > those
    > > >
    > > > I wasnt game enought to try with my puter so i goughed up the money to

    > HP
    > > > and brought the CDs from them so i have the D: partion and the CD's

    > now i
    > > > feel a bit safer.

    > > Yes it seems to be the safe option that most folk choose. Someone
    > > correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, as an OEM install, if you
    > > *were* to blow the HDD for whatever reason, the shop you purchases from
    > > would have to put the OS back on, fer nix.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > If so it would only be done in the first year of the warranty.

    No, for its 'life'.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 2, 2005
  18. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1128223004.191128@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <14eh6us63yvwy$.16rxip83q0u9b$>,
    >> > says...

    >> knows

    >> those

    >> HP

    >> now i
    >> >
    >> > Yes it seems to be the safe option that most folk choose. Someone
    >> > correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, as an OEM install, if you
    >> > *were* to blow the HDD for whatever reason, the shop you purchases from
    >> > would have to put the OS back on, fer nix.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    >> If so it would only be done in the first year of the warranty.

    > No, for its 'life'.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    That would be expecting a bit much since your PC wouldn't have a life time
    warranty. If you lose your hard drive which then loses XP, that's just
    tough luck.
    Besides if you have to replace the hard drive then you'll have to replace
    XP. It was only supplied on your original hard drive.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 2, 2005