    Can anyone suggest possible cause or how to isolate and fix please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell

    meerkat Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Suddenly, when I use regedit to search for anything, XP Home (SP1) is
    > rebooting itself after 10-20 seconds into the search. Just a black
    > screen and a reboot. Every time.
    >
    > I'm not sure whether this is related to either
    > - upgrading my 512 MB to 1 GB recently
    > - updating my nvidia driver
    > - or neither
    >
    > Can anyone suggest possible cause or how to isolate and fix please?

    Hi Terry, have a look in your Event Viewer for errors.

    meerkat, Mar 22, 2007

  3. "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> Suddenly, when I use regedit to search for anything, XP Home (SP1) is
    >> rebooting itself after 10-20 seconds into the search. Just a black
    >> screen and a reboot. Every time.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure whether this is related to either
    >> - upgrading my 512 MB to 1 GB recently
    >> - updating my nvidia driver
    >> - or neither
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest possible cause or how to isolate and fix please?
    >>

    >Hi Terry, have a look in your Event Viewer for errors.

    Thanks, but couldn't find anything of obvious relevance there.

    I swapped the RAM back, but still no joy! Have now replaced the 1 GB.

    Note that if I search for an entry like 'jasc', regedit finds me
    scores of them (I have JASC Paintshop Pro 8) as usual, going well
    beyond a minute or so before I close. But searching for say 'win31',
    crashes every time.

    Very much appreciate any further suggestions please.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Terry Pinnell

    > "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> Suddenly, when I use regedit to search for anything, XP Home (SP1) is
    >>> rebooting itself after 10-20 seconds into the search. Just a black
    >>> screen and a reboot. Every time.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not sure whether this is related to either
    >>> - upgrading my 512 MB to 1 GB recently
    >>> - updating my nvidia driver
    >>> - or neither
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest possible cause or how to isolate and fix please?
    >>>

    >>Hi Terry, have a look in your Event Viewer for errors.

    > Thanks, but couldn't find anything of obvious relevance there.
    >
    > I swapped the RAM back, but still no joy! Have now replaced the 1 GB.
    >
    > Note that if I search for an entry like 'jasc', regedit finds me
    > scores of them (I have JASC Paintshop Pro 8) as usual, going well
    > beyond a minute or so before I close. But searching for say 'win31',
    > crashes every time.

    Try a System restore, back past the problem (?).

    meerkat, Mar 22, 2007
  5. "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >>>Hi Terry, have a look in your Event Viewer for errors.

    >> Thanks, but couldn't find anything of obvious relevance there.
    >>
    >> I swapped the RAM back, but still no joy! Have now replaced the 1 GB.
    >>
    >> Note that if I search for an entry like 'jasc', regedit finds me
    >> scores of them (I have JASC Paintshop Pro 8) as usual, going well
    >> beyond a minute or so before I close. But searching for say 'win31',
    >> crashes every time.
    >>

    >Try a System restore, back past the problem (?).

    Thanks. Already tried 3 previous dates over the last week. Next step
    will be to go way back. However, if that solves *this* problem, it
    will presumably cause me other headaches, as I've installed various
    things in last month.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 22, 2007
  6. Terry Pinnell

    > "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, but couldn't find anything of obvious relevance there.
    >>>
    >>> I swapped the RAM back, but still no joy! Have now replaced the 1 GB.
    >>>
    >>> Note that if I search for an entry like 'jasc', regedit finds me
    >>> scores of them (I have JASC Paintshop Pro 8) as usual, going well
    >>> beyond a minute or so before I close. But searching for say 'win31',
    >>> crashes every time.
    >>>

    >>Try a System restore, back past the problem (?).
    >>

    > Thanks. Already tried 3 previous dates over the last week. Next step
    > will be to go way back. However, if that solves *this* problem, it
    > will presumably cause me other headaches, as I've installed various
    > things in last month.

    That`s sad but true T.
    That`s why it`s good to have a regular backup/imaging
    system in place.
    I image my system regularly to an external hard drive.
    Then the worst that can happen is I lose a weeks stuff.
    Also, if the drive goes kaput, you can stick a new drive in,
    and image back to it, so you`re straight back in business.

    I also do a nightly CCleaner tidy up.

    bw..

    meerkat, Mar 22, 2007
  7. "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >>>Try a System restore, back past the problem (?).
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Already tried 3 previous dates over the last week. Next step
    >> will be to go way back. However, if that solves *this* problem, it
    >> will presumably cause me other headaches, as I've installed various
    >> things in last month.
    >>

    >That`s sad but true T.
    >That`s why it`s good to have a regular backup/imaging
    >system in place.
    >I image my system regularly to an external hard drive.
    >Then the worst that can happen is I lose a weeks stuff.
    >Also, if the drive goes kaput, you can stick a new drive in,
    >and image back to it, so you`re straight back in business.
    >
    >I also do a nightly CCleaner tidy up.
    >
    >bw..

    Do you image just the OS partition? Does that contain all your Program
    Files? I do nightly backups of data, and key settings (e.g, large
    parts of my Documents & Settings folder), but I've never really got
    into imaging. What program do you use for that?

    One complication in my case is that my OS partition C: gradually
    filled up, as \Windows and \Program Files got larger. So I now install
    all new programs on the much larger HD in D:\Program Files.

    Another snag is that, because of a bad experience when I last tried to
    upgrade to SP2, I'm still on XP Home SP1. And that means I can't run
    an external HD because I only have USB 1.0, which would be far too
    slow.

    Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try SP2 again soon ;-)

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 22, 2007
  8. Terry Pinnell

    > "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    snipped some
    > Do you image just the OS partition? Does that contain all your Program
    > Files? I do nightly backups of data, and key settings (e.g, large
    > parts of my Documents & Settings folder), but I've never really got
    > into imaging. What program do you use for that?
    >
    > One complication in my case is that my OS partition C: gradually
    > filled up, as \Windows and \Program Files got larger. So I now install
    > all new programs on the much larger HD in D:\Program Files.
    >
    > Another snag is that, because of a bad experience when I last tried to
    > upgrade to SP2, I'm still on XP Home SP1. And that means I can't run
    > an external HD because I only have USB 1.0, which would be far too
    > slow.

    I use Acronis TI 8 to image.
    I Always do it off the recovery CD you create after installing
    TI.
    I use a 80Gig main drive, but keep all my music on a 2nd.

    It`s about a 20 minute job to image.

    Back to your problem, the only thing you can do, is to
    Try and make a record of what you need to update again,
    then do a Sys restore way back.

    One other option to try, is a System file check, to see if
    that helps (must have a full winXP CD).

    meerkat, Mar 22, 2007
  9. "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >> "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message

    >snipped some
    >> Do you image just the OS partition? Does that contain all your Program
    >> Files? I do nightly backups of data, and key settings (e.g, large
    >> parts of my Documents & Settings folder), but I've never really got
    >> into imaging. What program do you use for that?
    >>
    >> One complication in my case is that my OS partition C: gradually
    >> filled up, as \Windows and \Program Files got larger. So I now install
    >> all new programs on the much larger HD in D:\Program Files.
    >>
    >> Another snag is that, because of a bad experience when I last tried to
    >> upgrade to SP2, I'm still on XP Home SP1. And that means I can't run
    >> an external HD because I only have USB 1.0, which would be far too
    >> slow.
    >>

    >I use Acronis TI 8 to image.
    >I Always do it off the recovery CD you create after installing
    > TI.
    >I use a 80Gig main drive, but keep all my music on a 2nd.
    >
    >It`s about a 20 minute job to image.
    >
    >Back to your problem, the only thing you can do, is to
    >Try and make a record of what you need to update again,
    >then do a Sys restore way back.
    >
    >One other option to try, is a System file check, to see if
    >that helps (must have a full winXP CD).

    Thanks for the follow-up.

    I had tried an sfc /scannow but no change.

    However, pleased to report that I seem to have a stable system again!
    The snag is that I'm still not sure what the cause was. As mentioned,
    I restored several versions of the registry, but this one that now
    appears to be stable I had tried before and it had failed. I wonder
    whether either of these were responsible for the 'cure':

    1) The original RAM installation may have been somehow flawed, but
    that didn't manifest itself until I tried a regedit search. And
    re-installing the RAM again somehow needed a couple of boots before it
    took effect to sort out the drivers or registry.

    2) The chkdsk d: /f I did at a latish stage. (I'd already done it on
    my OS drive C:.)

    Thanks again for your interest and help.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 23, 2007