    way in my mind at the time. Any ideas??

    Thanks to all who reply!!

    RBS
    RoryBellows, Sep 10, 2004

  2. RoryBellows

    Thor Guest

    "RoryBellows" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have had this happen several times now and can't seem to make
    > heads or tails of it, si I figured I would ask here to see if anyone
    > can help. I have had to reboot my Dell Dimension 8400 several times.
    > It won't seem to do a "softboot" on its own. Won't do a "hardboot"
    > either. I've had to pull the power plug to get it to shut down. I
    > know thats not the safest thing to do, but it was the only logical
    > way in my mind at the time. Any ideas??

    What does it do when you initiate a restart from the shutdown menu? Does it
    appear to begin the shutdown sequence then hang at some point? Does it shut
    down and power off normally when you initiate a shutdown? Also, an FYI,
    merely holding the power switch in for 4-5 seconds will override software
    control and shut down the system immediately, in most cases. Pulling the
    plug isn't necessary.
    Thor, Sep 10, 2004

  3. RoryBellows

    RoryBellows Guest

    Never got to the point of restarting from the Start menu. I am trying
    to do a reboot after the machine is hung up for one reason or another.
    I did try holding the power switcvh in for a few seconds, but
    nothing. Any help??

    RBS

    RoryBellows, Sep 11, 2004
  4. RoryBellows

    > Never got to the point of restarting from the Start menu. I am trying
    > to do a reboot after the machine is hung up for one reason or another.
    > I did try holding the power switcvh in for a few seconds, but
    > nothing. Any help??
    >
    > RBS

    Then it's not a reboot problem. It's a lock up problem. Holding in the power
    switch should shut the power down after a few seconds, unless there is a
    setting in the BIOS preventing it. Regardless you need to figure out why
    it's locking up in the first place. Try doing a repair install. Boot to your
    WinXP CD, and run setup, and choose the repair option.
    Thor, Sep 11, 2004
  5. RoryBellows

    Jerry G. Guest

    Check to see if you installed any drivers, or software that is not XP rated.
    This is especially a problem with drivers that are not rated for XP. If you
    did this, the driver(s) will have to be uninstalled, and the operating
    system to be fixed.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Sep 11, 2004