    that i need to reactivate windows. I did so,no problems but was wondering
    what Microsoft regard as a major hardware change even though i think i just
    found out.
    ardz, Oct 15, 2004

  2. ardz wrote:
    > I have a year old PC running an OEM Win XP. Ive upgraded 2 components ie the
    > DVD Rom drive and the Graphics card. I moved a couple of things around on
    > the IDE channels and everything was running sweet. A month or so later i
    > switch the PC on see a message that the hardware has changed so dramatically
    > that i need to reactivate windows. I did so,no problems but was wondering
    > what Microsoft regard as a major hardware change even though i think i just
    > found out.

    from memory it is three major components in x amount of time, where x is
    2 months I think.... in saying that, I changed motherboards twice, each
    with different chipsets before it asked me.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 15, 2004

  3. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > ardz wrote:
    >> I have a year old PC running an OEM Win XP. Ive upgraded 2 components ie
    >> the
    >> DVD Rom drive and the Graphics card. I moved a couple of things around on
    >> the IDE channels and everything was running sweet. A month or so later i
    >> switch the PC on see a message that the hardware has changed so
    >> dramatically
    >> that i need to reactivate windows. I did so,no problems but was wondering
    >> what Microsoft regard as a major hardware change even though i think i
    >> just
    >> found out.

    > from memory it is three major components in x amount of time, where x is 2
    > months I think.... in saying that, I changed motherboards twice, each with
    > different chipsets before it asked me.

    It also seems to be very erratic in how well it detects such changes. I have
    had systems in which we have changed many things (multiple motherboards,
    hdds, processors, differing ram configurations, etc) and winxp has never
    asked to reactivate. On the other hand, i have changed only the ram in a
    system before (one of our own systems so I know that the key was in use only
    in that system and had only been activated once before) and have had winxp
    insist on activation and then fail on the online activation thingo. Reciting
    50 numbers to someone at Microsoft is a real pain.

    On the bright side, if you do have problems with the activation Microsoft's
    help desk seems to be fairly decent at sorting it out (well... with
    providing you with lots and lots of numbers to type in to make the thing
    work).

    Andrew
    Andrew Bryson, Oct 15, 2004
  4. ardz

    bambam Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:18:26 +1300, ardz wrote:

    > I have a year old PC running an OEM Win XP. Ive upgraded 2 components ie the
    > DVD Rom drive and the Graphics card. I moved a couple of things around on
    > the IDE channels and everything was running sweet. A month or so later i
    > switch the PC on see a message that the hardware has changed so dramatically
    > that i need to reactivate windows. I did so,no problems but was wondering
    > what Microsoft regard as a major hardware change even though i think i just
    > found out.

    This is the best article that I have seen on Windows Product Activation-

    I don't really understand why Windows would suddenly decide a month after
    you made changes that reactivation was needed.
    bambam, Oct 15, 2004