    created. Should I have erased and reformatted the older IDE Hard Drive
    before I transferred all my media file? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks group.
    sonata32, Mar 1, 2007

  2. sonata32

    philo Guest

    "sonata32" <> wrote in message
    news:7JIFh.83$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently had a pc costumed built. The guy put a new SATA hard drive with
    > windows XP on it. I had a fairly new internal IDE 160 hard drive with my
    > copy of XP home already on it but he said the SATA would work better. Well

    > figured I can put my older hard drive to work by making it external (case
    > enclosure) connected via USB. Well I put it together and transferred all

    my
    > pictures and media to my newly made external hard drive. Well when I

    logged

    <snip>

    plugging in a USB drive should not have triggered the need to reactivate...
    however looks like you are going to have to do so

    philo, Mar 1, 2007

  3. sonata32

    Ghostrider Guest

    sonata32 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently had a pc costumed built. The guy put a new SATA hard drive with
    > windows XP on it. I had a fairly new internal IDE 160 hard drive with my
    > copy of XP home already on it but he said the SATA would work better. Well I
    > figured I can put my older hard drive to work by making it external (case
    > enclosure) connected via USB. Well I put it together and transferred all my
    > pictures and media to my newly made external hard drive. Well when I logged
    > on twice today it says something like "" since I activated windows XP, major
    > hardware to my pc has changed therefore I must reactivate XP (3 days
    > exactly). What's with this? I am assuming it because of the USB hard drive I
    > created. Should I have erased and reformatted the older IDE Hard Drive
    > before I transferred all my media file? Any help would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks group.

    The re-activation is necessary due to the major change of having Windows
    XP installed on a new SATA drive. One should have kept the original IDE
    hard drive intact, removed the version of Windows XP from the SATA drive
    and use it for data storage. In this way, the original activation of XP
    would have remained OK since it was still on the original hard drive in
    which it was installed and from which it was starting.

    Two options but both require re-activation: Get the Product Key for the
    Windows XP that was installed on the SATA drive and use it for activation.
    This is the easier since the other would be to re-install the original
    Windows XP on either the original IDE hard drive or the new SATA drive.
    If modifying the IDE drive, remember to back up the pictures, data and
    other important stuff that is already on it.
    Ghostrider, Mar 1, 2007
  4. sonata32

    soundblasted Guest

    "sonata32" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently had a pc costumed built. The guy put a new SATA hard drive with
    > windows XP on it. I had a fairly new internal IDE 160 hard drive with my
    > copy of XP home already on it but he said the SATA would work better. Well
    > I figured I can put my older hard drive to work by making it external
    > (case enclosure) connected via USB. Well I put it together and transferred
    > all my pictures and media to my newly made external hard drive. Well when
    > I logged on twice today it says something like "" since I activated
    > windows XP, major hardware to my pc has changed therefore I must
    > reactivate XP (3 days exactly). What's with this? I am assuming it because
    > of the USB hard drive I created. Should I have erased and reformatted the
    > older IDE Hard Drive before I transferred all my media file? Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks group.

    Assuming the *custom* built PC had your original copy of XP installed on the
    new sata drive, then yes the update scan would detect that to be a
    significant
    change to what is in the database - you have to reactivate.
    soundblasted, Mar 2, 2007
  5. sonata32

    McFly Guest

    Sonata32,

    Give Microsoft a call. Since the XP copy is legit, you need to call
    them and tell them about the hardware change in your system. Keep the
    XP registration number handy if they ask you for it...

    -fly-

    McFly, Mar 2, 2007
  6. On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:46:28 -0500, sonata32 wrote:

    > I recently had a pc costumed built.

    What colors were the costume?

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 2, 2007
  7. On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:57:58 -0800, "Gary G. Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:46:28 -0500, sonata32 wrote:
    >
    >> I recently had a pc costumed built.

    >What colors were the costume?

    LOL.
    At least sonata32 did receive some good advice.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Mar 2, 2007
  8. sonata32 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently had a pc costumed built. The guy put a new SATA hard drive with
    > windows XP on it. I had a fairly new internal IDE 160 hard drive with my
    > copy of XP home already on it but he said the SATA would work better. Well
    > I figured I can put my older hard drive to work by making it external
    > (case enclosure) connected via USB. Well I put it together and transferred
    > all my pictures and media to my newly made external hard drive. Well when
    > I logged on twice today it says something like "" since I activated
    > windows XP, major hardware to my pc has changed therefore I must
    > reactivate XP (3 days exactly). What's with this? I am assuming it because
    > of the USB hard drive I created. Should I have erased and reformatted the
    > older IDE Hard Drive before I transferred all my media file? Any help
    > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks group.

    The guy may have given you a windows without you knowing the serials, or
    with some non-legit key.
    If online-activation fails, you have to make sure both windows versions are
    the same which means xphome or xp pro, and you got not just a "OEM"
    version.
    Use this link
    http://www.digg.com/software/How_to...ct_Key_or_Serial_and_Registration_Information
    to first download Jellybeans keyfinder and run it on that version on the
    SATA drive. Write down the serial, as well as the one you got with your
    original XP on the IDE drive (you can't run the keyfinder there, but you
    got the license sticker).
    If any of the two lists "OEM" somewhere, you may be out of luck.
    From workplace - Properties, make sure your guy gave you the same version
    (home or pro) as you have on your ide. If different, again no luck.

    If you find these versions matching, use the procedure from the link above,
    to change your serial to that of your original.
    You will have to reactivate afterwards, maybe on the phone.

    This procedure, again, is only necessary if you found the windows on your
    SATA drive isn't able to activate for any reason.
    You may as well decide to transfer your original windows from the IDE drive
    to the SATA. Since you or the guy didn't change the motherboard, you could
    temporarily attach the ide drive, start from that and install the sata
    driver, before you use ghost or a livecd to transfer the image.
    You probably still have to activate, since the harddrive plus controller
    change may add "malus points" requiring reactivation.
    Read
    http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aaqtwinxp0829.htm
    for transferring activation to a new install on the same hardware
    and
    http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt
    for a detailed description.
    You may find out, that copying partition signatures as well as keeping a
    cheap network card (transferrable from one pc to the other) helps a bit
    when you want to avoid re-activation ... but it has to be there the first
    time you do.
    Walter Mautner, Mar 2, 2007
  9. sonata32

    sonata32 Guest

    Re: XP Reactivation? WOW!!

    Dear Group,

    I do apologize for the misspelled word. I was amazed on how many replied
    with such valuable info. I learned a great deal. I found out the reason why
    this happened. When I made the non-connected internal HD to external with my
    own (purchased) XP home, when I plugged it in the USB, MS found out. I guess
    your not allowed to have 2 XP's on 1 pc. That's what CS said to me. So I
    reformatted the external with no OS on it. I still had to call in and
    activate my XP on the sata internal HD drive. They gave me a new ID number
    and so far so good.

    Lastly,
    I want to update my BIOS because VISTA will conflict if I get it (according
    to ASUS)
    Mother Board: ASUS P5B

    sonata32, Mar 2, 2007