    another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
    the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
    is compromised?

    Nik Schlein, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Nik Schlein wrote:
    > Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
    > my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
    > I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
    > third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
    > biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
    > tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
    > installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
    > mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
    > another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
    > the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
    > is compromised?

    Call Microsoft and explain. If they believe you they give you some new
    info and you're off and running.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Nik Schlein

    Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:09:37 GMT, "Nik Schlein"
    <> wrote:

    |> Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
    |> my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
    |> I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
    |> third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
    |> biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
    |> tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
    |> installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
    |> mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
    |> another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
    |> the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
    |> is compromised?

    Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
    reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
    created, and you should be reactivated.

    located in X:\Windows\System32

    , Dec 4, 2004
  4. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Okay that may work, but I don't want Microsoft to deny me updates because I
    look like I have pilfered software.

    Nik Schlein, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

    Nik Schlein, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Nik Schlein

    Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:47:45 GMT, "Nik Schlein"
    <> wrote:

    |> Okay that may work, but I don't want Microsoft to deny me updates because I
    |> look like I have pilfered software.

    :) Your not hacking into it, wpa.dbl holds your Hardware hash and
    determines if you should reactivate or not. By removing it another will
    be created and might get you up and running.

    The OS is yours, you can play around with it to get it working or call
    Microsoft as mention'd to get things straightened out.

    |> <> wrote in message

    |> > upgrade on
    |> > when
    |> > my
    |> > the
    |> > didn't
    |> > this
    |> > Microsoft and
    |> > CDkey
    |> > |>

    |> > Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
    |> > reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
    |> > created, and you should be reactivated.
    |> >
    |> > located in X:\Windows\System32

    , Dec 4, 2004
  7. Nik Schlein

    Conor Guest

    In article Nik Schlein says...
    > Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

    You phone them, they put you onto an automated system and you enter the
    numbers it tells you.

    --
    Conor

    America: A democracy so successful, even the Ukranians copy it.

    Conor, Dec 4, 2004
  8. Nik Schlein

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Nik Schlein" <> wrote:

    >Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

    Exactly as advertised. A few minutes on the phone to a toll-free
    number and all is done.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 4, 2004
  9. Nik Schlein

    Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >Just a guess here but find and rename wpa.dbl
    >reboot you should be asked for your CDkey and another wpa.dbl will be
    >created, and you should be reactivated.
    >
    >located in X:\Windows\System32

    That will not fix his problem. Deleting wpa.dbl is not the way to fix
    anything. All that does is force you to reactivate and if the
    hardware is not *identical* to the previous activation then you may
    have to contact Microsft by phone.

    Ron Martell, Dec 4, 2004
  10. Nik Schlein

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Nik Schlein" <> wrote:

    >Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade on
    >my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well when
    >I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times. Its my
    >third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This was the
    >biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It didn't
    >tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where clean
    >installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does this
    >mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
    >another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft and
    >the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your CDkey
    >is compromised?

    Just call Microsoft's toll free activation number for your locale and
    you should be fixed up in a few minutes. It is relatively painless,
    except for reading off a very long number and then accurately
    recording another long number that they will give back to you.

    What constitutes the *same* computer in terms of activation is a
    combination of 10 specific identifiers including such things as the
    volume-serial number of the hard drive and the MAC address of the
    network card.

    See MVP Alex Nichols article on activation at
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm for more detailed information.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell, Dec 4, 2004
  11. Nik Schlein wrote:

    > Windows XP asked me or rather TOLD me that I had too major of an upgrade
    > on my system and that I needed to reenter my CDkey and reactivate it. Well
    > when I did that it said that I have apparently done this too many times.
    > Its my third install of it on the same computer through 3 upgrades. This
    > was the biggest so far, but I didn't upgrade the hard drive this time. It
    > didn't tell me I had to reactivate it the other times, but they where
    > clean installs after I formatted the hard drive. My question is, what does
    > this
    > mean, am I out the $150 I paid a year and a half ago and have to buy
    > another XP copy. Or is this something cheaper like when I call Microsoft
    > and the reissue me a CD with CDkey like some game companies do when your
    > CDkey is compromised?

    It isn't your key that's compromised, and you don't need to buy a new XP.
    There's just a limitation in automatic online reactivation cycles (maybe 3
    in a half year period or so) to prevent too many reinstalls of the same
    windows cd/key on possibly different computers. You may call the toll-free
    activation phone number, they should not ask too much (but keep your bill,
    the cd and the computer turned on). Often there is a problem in
    communicationg all the numbers back and forth without errors, so talk
    clearly as long as you can't tone-dial them, and listen carefully.
    You might also take this experience as a hint to try out another OS like
    that one with a penguin sticker :)
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.9-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Dec 4, 2004