XP RAID installation trouble?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. I recently was able to obtain 64-bit drivers for my computer. Before
    formatting my C: drive of the previous OS (XP 32 bit), I began the F6
    installation process for the RAID. At the GUI phase of installation, after
    the regional and network settings I get many error messages complaining of a
    "Delayed Write Failure" for various dll's. Near the end of the GUI phase, I
    get a blue screen with the error "0x0000001E" According to Microsoft, this
    error means one of three things:

    If a driver name is displayed (which it is not), there is a driver error.
    (The 1st stage with the F6 driver went flawlessly.)

    There is insufficient disk space (My C drive consists of 2 WD 10000RPM
    Raptors in RAID 0; a total capacity of around 140 GB!)

    The BIOS needs to be updated (I have the latest driver from the motherboard
    manufacturer.)

    So, from my point of view, since the problem has to do with writing files it
    is either the BIOS or the driver. Are there any motherboards or BIOS which do
    not support 64-bit? Or, would Non-RAID drives or CD\DVD drives connected to
    SATA interfere with the RAID drives? Any help or insight on this would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks, Hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Hyperlight wrote:
    > I recently was able to obtain 64-bit drivers for my computer. Before
    > formatting my C: drive of the previous OS (XP 32 bit), I began the F6
    > installation process for the RAID. At the GUI phase of installation,
    > after the regional and network settings I get many error messages
    > complaining of a "Delayed Write Failure" for various dll's. Near the
    > end of the GUI phase, I get a blue screen with the error "0x0000001E"
    > According to Microsoft, this error means one of three things:
    >
    > If a driver name is displayed (which it is not), there is a driver
    > error. (The 1st stage with the F6 driver went flawlessly.)
    >
    > There is insufficient disk space (My C drive consists of 2 WD 10000RPM
    > Raptors in RAID 0; a total capacity of around 140 GB!)
    >
    > The BIOS needs to be updated (I have the latest driver from the
    > motherboard manufacturer.)
    >
    > So, from my point of view, since the problem has to do with writing
    > files it is either the BIOS or the driver. Are there any motherboards
    > or BIOS which do not support 64-bit? Or, would Non-RAID drives or
    > CD\DVD drives connected to SATA interfere with the RAID drives? Any
    > help or insight on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Hyperlight

    You are using 64 bit drivers, correct?

    --
    Wayne Wastier
    Z-80 - AMD-64
    Wayne Wastier, Oct 15, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=

    Rick Guest

    What is your system configuration?

    Where did you get your 64-bit drivers?

    What version are they?

    Rick, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Motherboard?
    SATA controller and to what ports are your Raptors connected?
    Have you changed any settings in BIOS?

    --

    Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
    P4 3.73GHz EE

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Oct 15, 2005
  5. To those who responded to my initial thread "XP RAID installation trouble?"

    My system configuration is as follows (64 bit drivers indicated by a *):

    CPU: 3.73 Ghz P4EE 1066Mhz FSB
    Motherboard: ABIT AA8XE * (no driver, software)
    RAM: PQI 4x 1GB 533Mhz
    Video Card: HIS X850 * (driver and software)
    Drives: 2x WD Raptor 73GB 10K (currently configured as RAID 0 by BIOS,
    driver for RAID controller ICH6R, plugged into SATA 1 and 4)
    1x Seagate (SATA 3)
    1x Plextor CD\DVD (SATA 2)
    Sound Card: Realtek daughter HD audio card *

    Driver versions and names are as follows according to ABIT's site for XP 64
    bit version 5.2 build 3790:

    Intel INF: 7.0.0.1025
    Intel Matrix: 5.0.0.1032
    Realtek Audio HD: R122
    Intel LAN: 1.0
    Intelraid disk: N\A

    My mobo BIOS is version 14, I have tried a driver from Abit and Intel for
    RAID.

    In my BIOS, when RAID is selected, IDE settings are visible but
    unaccessible. They are as follows:

    IDE Channel 0 Master: IDE Master
    IDE Channel 0 Slave: IDE Slave
    IDE Channel 1 Master: None
    IDE Channel 1 Slave: None
    IDE Channel 2 Master: SATA 1
    IDE Channel 2 Slave: SATA 3
    IDE Channel 3 Master: SATA 2
    IDE Channel 3 Slave: SATA 4
    SATA2, SATA4 is Sec.

    Do these matter? Also, what is the difference between Intel Matrix and RAID?
    In my last OS only the RAID driver was needed, but are both drivers needed
    for 64-bit XP? I haven't had much opportunity to mess with the RAID or BIOS
    lately. Could the BIOS be the culprit?

    Thanks,
    hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 16, 2005
  6. All drivers were obtained from manufacturers or ABIT.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 16, 2005
  7. It looks like we have the same chipset (955X Express), same processor and
    Raptors but different boards.
    I have a RAID 0 with Intel Matrix Storage Manager.
    On my motherboard support CD there are all needed x64 drivers, but I have
    used the latest Inf from Intel 7.2.1.1003 and the latest Intel Matrix Storage
    Manager 5.1.1022:

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...al x64 Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=109&submit=Go!

    Use the 64-bit Floppy Configuration Utility. That´s the only one needed for
    a RAID 0.

    I noticed you have a optical drive with SATA interface. I have the same. On
    my board I have to connect it to the fifth SATA port (Silicon Image 3132 SATA
    controller). Doesn´t work if I connect it to the ICH7R controller and I can´t
    boot from it when doing a fresh install. So I have a IDE DVD/ROM to boot from.

    I assume you have set Configuration SATA As [RAID] under IDE Configuration
    in BIOS?

    When you configure RAID, do you press Ctrl+I ? And in the Boot menu choose
    RAID as a boot option, but NOT your third SATA drive.

    There are also newer audio and LAN drivers to download.

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...s=2004061&Software=True&title=HD Audio CODECs

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...al x64 Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=109&submit=Go!

    But make sure your Intel Gigabit controller is 82573V. There are also
    drivers for 82573E and 82573L.

    --
    Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
    P4 3.73 GHz EE
    RAPTOR 2 x 74GB in RAID 0
    DDR2 PC8000 2GB
    GeForce 7800GTX
    Samsung 24" TFT
    Enermax 660W
    Plextor PX-712SA

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Oct 16, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I, too had problems with using a SATA CD/DVD, so I hope you have another one
    like Maratonmannen suggested. Mine is a Plextor PX-716SA for what it is
    worth.

    John Barnes, Oct 16, 2005
  9. To Martonmannen (thanks for the links), and others

    I actually have a 925XE NB chipset. I configured the Crtl-I config utility
    for my previous OS, I'll take another look at it later, though. A question:
    What is the difference between matrix storage and RAID? And do I need
    software\drivers for both for my intended setup of RAID 0?

    Thanks yet again,
    hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 16, 2005
  10. The links were for 955X Express chipset. But I guess you noticed that.

    Are you setting up a RAID 0 configuration to boot from? Or do you have XP
    x64 installed on your Seagate?

    Do you have another RAID/SATA controller than ICH6R on your board?

    I am not sure I understand your question about "Difference between Intel
    Matrix and RAID?"

    I have two RAID controllers on my board and when I am using Matrix Storage
    to setup RAID 0, I only have to use the RAID drivers for Matrix Storage but
    not for the other RAID controller.

    /Max
    Stockholm - Sweden

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Oct 16, 2005
  11. I am attempting to install XP 64 on my C drive which is my two Raptors in
    RAID 0. The Seagate is for other files. Currently the RAID is configured by a
    utility after POST accessed by pressing Crtl-I. I think this is part of the
    BIOS. Could it be anything else? Before I set up XP 32 bit on the previous
    installation, I don't think I had this utility. Could the utility be updated?
    The only controller for RAID is my ICH6R, I believe.

    I guess my question about RAID vs. Matrix Storage is: What is Matrix Storage
    and how is it related (if at all) to RAID? Since my motherboard manufacturer
    provides seperate downloads for matrix storage and RAID, it would help to
    know.

    Thanks,
    hyperlight
    Denver, CO, USA

    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 16, 2005
  12. Greetings "Maratonmannen",

    How do you like your ... ?

    > Asus P5WD2 Premium (955X Express)
    > P4 3.73GHz EE

    I printed a hard copy of the User Manual yesterday
    to read at a restaurant during breakfast.

    The P52D2 Premium looks like an excellent mobo.

    I'm planning initially to migrate 3-6 aging PATA HDs
    to a Promise SX4000 4-port RAID controller,
    until I can migrate later to high-capacity
    SATA-II HDs with NCQ, staggered spin-up,
    and similar neat stuff.

    If PCI-E has, in fact, eliminated the old PCI bottleneck,
    I'm anxious to test the "theory" in practice, e.g.
    by running a 4 x HDs in RAID 0, first with aging PATA HDs,
    then later with modern SATA-II HDs, e.g. Seagate
    with NCQ etc.

    My retailer recommended an Intel P4 640 w/ EM64T:

    However, while surfing the Net, I see several
    complaints that Promise has not yet updated
    device drivers for Win64.

    So, now I'm backing off the 64-bit idea
    (there is nothing in it I really need right now),
    and will re-visit this issue if/when I upgrade
    to a dual-core Presler + large capacity
    SATA-II drives wired to the on-board SATA connectors.

    That migration should eliminate the Promise SX4000
    entirely, because there will be enough SATA
    connectors on the motherboard itself to eliminate
    that RAID expansion card for a 4 x HD RAID 0.

    A lot of these RAID 0 issues seem to stem from a
    general assumption that they will be used for
    C: system partitions: my first serious RAID 0
    was added to an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe ... BUT ...
    AFTER I installed Win32 XP/Pro on a vanilla
    PATA/133 Maxtor (IDE0/Primary).

    KISS (Keep It Simple, Sally :)

    After reading the driver documentation, I simply
    emulated a floppy disk by unzipping the drivers
    and storing them on the C: partition:

    Now, I've got 3 RAID 0 partitions working
    beautifully on that P4C800-E Deluxe:

    (1) 2 x Raptors on the Intel RAID controller (2 SATA ports max);
    (2) 2 x Maxtor ATA/133 PATA HDs on the on-board Promise controller;
    (3) 2 x WD ATA/100 SATA HDs also on the on-board Promise controller.

    The manual for the P5WD2 makes it clear that DVD/CD
    devices aren't supported on the ATA/133 IDE connectors,
    only on the ATA/100 IDE connector.

    That may explain part of the problem that started this thread
    (just a guess, OK?)

    I have 2 x Plextors: 1 PATA + 1 SATA (both PX-716's, both new)
    I am hoping that both will function correctly using
    the motherboard connectors: piece o' cake for the PATA,
    but I have my doubts about the SATA Plextor now ...

    My overall plan is to get 4 x PATA HDs running on the
    Promise SX4000; then, I'll migrate to larger SATA-II drives,
    using the remaining SATA connectors on the ICH7.

    I want to end up with 4 x SATA-II HDs in RAID 0,
    but just for data; C: will remain on the vanilla PATA HD
    wired to IDE0/Primary.

    I'm hedging my bets that PCI-E SATA RAID controllers
    are just around the corner, that will overcome
    the original PCI bottleneck and allow throughput
    of 500 MB/sec. or better. So, if I need a second
    RAID 0, or if I want to experiment with more
    sophisticated RAID options, I can support them
    with an expansion card, IN ADDITION TO
    the ICH7 on-board RAID options.

    The P5WD2 permits x4 PCI-E devices in the
    secondary/"universal" x16 slot.

    My fallback position on the SATA Plextor is to purchase
    a 2-port x1 SATA adapter, if that Plextor does not work
    with the SI secondary RAID connectors. Or, I can just
    replace it with a PATA version (to avoid hassles).

    In general, I'm foresee problems mixing SATA HDs & SATA DVD/CDs
    on the same controller, given that the P5WD2 manual admits that
    ATAPI devices simply aren't supported on the ATA/133 IDE connectors.

    (I hope this long message hasn't been too confusing:
    since I'm still planning, I haven't even purchased the
    motherboard yet; just a few odds and ends, plus
    2 Plextors I bought on sale.)

    Thanks!

    Sincerely yours,
    /s/ Paul andrew Mitchell
    Webmaster, Supreme Law Library

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VwcmVtZUxhdw==?=, Oct 17, 2005
  13. After talking to my A+ teacher, I suspect that the "Intel Accelerator
    Application" or the BIOS need to be updated, I have a few leads from Intel's
    site, so I'm going to try them. By the way, I had to add a Sony IDE drive to
    my rig when the Plextor couldn't be used to detect the Windows disk. I can
    sympathize with Plextor problems completely. No worries, though, once the OS
    is up, it runs fine.
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Be sure to report this problem to Plextor
    and to Microsoft Product Support:

    generally, it's best to assume that the
    problem has NOT been reported.

    I imagine that there will be thousands
    of similar "kinks" like this with Win64.

    We settled on the ASUS P5WD2 Premium
    specifically because it support 3 x IDE channels
    (with 2 devices each).

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VwcmVtZUxhdw==?=, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Thanks all for your help... about a month later I have installed/ deleted
    WIN XP 64 many times. After I updated my RAID utility the BSOD went
    packing...the only errors were "failed delay writes" after the first
    successful installation, no errors occurred!

    Thanks,
    Hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Nov 25, 2005