    Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the critical
    updates so far to simplify a new installation?

    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Brian Tozer

    rob Guest

    "Brian Tozer" <> wrote in message
    news:bmhd08$2op$...
    > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the

    critical
    > updates so far to simplify a new installation?
    >
    > Brian Tozer

    No, but Nathan Mercer did mention in this newsgroup that there may be some
    sort of all inclusive patch CD comming from MS... at least thats how I
    understood it.

    Perhaps he could enlighten us????

    rgsd
    rob

    rob, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Brian Tozer

    Jack Guest

    rob wrote:
    > "Brian Tozer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the

    > critical
    >
    >>updates so far to simplify a new installation?
    >>
    >>Brian Tozer
    >>

    > No, but Nathan Mercer did mention in this newsgroup that there may be some
    > sort of all inclusive patch CD comming from MS... at least thats how I
    > understood it.
    >
    > Perhaps he could enlighten us????
    >
    > rgsd
    > rob

    Creating a bootable SP1a WinXP cd

    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248

    Somewhere i have found webside describing a way to automatially run the
    hotfixes etc after the install. I will keep looking around see if i can
    find it for you again.

    Cheers
    Jack

    Jack, Oct 14, 2003
  4. lostforwords.org, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Brian Tozer

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:49:52 +1300, Brian Tozer wrote:

    > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the
    > critical updates so far to simplify a new installation?

    No, but the bit of jargon you want to google for is 'slipstream'.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 14, 2003
  6. Brian Tozer

    Jay Guest

    Brian Tozer wrote:

    > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the
    > critical updates so far to simplify a new installation?

    Yes.

    Jay, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "Jay" wrote ...
    > Brian Tozer wrote:

    > > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the
    > > critical updates so far to simplify a new installation?

    > Yes.

    Thanks for the reply.
    Is the process documented anywhere accessable?

    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Brian Tozer

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Brian Tozer" wrote
    > > > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the
    > > > critical updates so far to simplify a new installation?

    > > Yes.

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Is the process documented anywhere accessable?

    go to google.com and type slipstream xp

    T.N.O., Oct 15, 2003
  9. Brian Tozer

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the

    critical
    > updates so far to simplify a new installation?
    >
    > Brian Tozer

    What I did was update WinXP to the latest patches/upgrades, then used Norton
    Ghost 2003 to take a copy/image of the HDD and backed it up to another HDD.
    Haven't restored it yet, but a friend of mine has done it from backing up
    his HDD to DVD Disk, claims it worked ok.

    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Oct 15, 2003
  10. Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "T.N.O." wrote

    > "Brian Tozer" wrote

    > > > Yes.

    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > Is the process documented anywhere accessable?

    > go to google.com and type slipstream xp

    Where it says that after creating the slipstreamed CD "You will still have
    to get the post SP1 updates from Windows Update,"

    That is the part that I am trying to avoid.

    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Oct 15, 2003
  11. Brian Tozer

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Brian Tozer" wrote
    > Where it says that after creating the slipstreamed CD "You will still

    have
    > to get the post SP1 updates from Windows Update,"
    >
    > That is the part that I am trying to avoid.

    aahhh, sorry... try groups.google.com and search for nathan 0800 nz.comp for
    a free CD that contains all the updates until just after the blaster
    patch(AFAIK).

    T.N.O., Oct 15, 2003
  12. Brian Tozer

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:21:30 +1300, "Brian Tozer" <> wrote:

    >"T.N.O." wrote
    >
    >> "Brian Tozer" wrote

    >> > Thanks for the reply.
    >> > Is the process documented anywhere accessable?

    >> go to google.com and type slipstream xp

    >Where it says that after creating the slipstreamed CD "You will still have
    >to get the post SP1 updates from Windows Update,"
    >
    >That is the part that I am trying to avoid.
    >
    >Brian Tozer

    You can get the SP1-a on a lot of Mag CD's, then do a update of the XP cd
    like I did, but you have to make the CD bootable so read all the info you
    can..

    I save the Boot info image with a WINiso I think or ISObuster, then use Nero
    to burn the Updated Bootable CD.

    Stacks of Info on the Web on how to do this..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 15, 2003
  13. Brian Tozer

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:28:09 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Brian Tozer" wrote
    >> Where it says that after creating the slipstreamed CD "You will still

    >have
    >> to get the post SP1 updates from Windows Update,"
    >>
    >> That is the part that I am trying to avoid.

    >aahhh, sorry... try groups.google.com and search for nathan 0800 nz.comp for
    >a free CD that contains all the updates until just after the blaster
    >patch(AFAIK).

    Here they are..

    http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=14893

    Paul Mathews, Oct 15, 2003
  14. Suddenly, Brian Tozer sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Where it says that after creating the slipstreamed CD "You will still have
    > to get the post SP1 updates from Windows Update,"
    >
    > That is the part that I am trying to avoid.

    Why bother? There will be half a dozen more shortly after ;)

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 15, 2003
  15. "rob" <> wrote in message

    > "Brian Tozer" <> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone experience of creating a CD containing XP and all of the

    > critical
    > > updates so far to simplify a new installation?
    > >
    > > Brian Tozer
    > >

    > No, but Nathan Mercer did mention in this newsgroup that there may be some
    > sort of all inclusive patch CD comming from MS... at least thats how I
    > understood it.
    >
    > Perhaps he could enlighten us????

    There is something coming in the Windows XP SP2 timeframe, and that is going
    out earlyish next year

    For now your best bet is the rollup security patch for XP released today
    Released today single, convenient patch that combines 22 previous updates.
    Aimed at customers who haven't diligently applied every software patch or
    who recently bought a new computer or recently installed Windows from
    scratch.

    Download from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-D7BE-48E3-ABCC-961602BD72C2&displaylang=en
    or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Is Available
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826939

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 17, 2003
  16. Brian Tozer

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:16:10 +1300, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >For now your best bet is the rollup security patch for XP released today
    >Released today single, convenient patch that combines 22 previous updates.
    >Aimed at customers who haven't diligently applied every software patch or
    >who recently bought a new computer or recently installed Windows from
    >scratch.
    >
    >Download from
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-D7BE-48E3-ABCC-961602BD72C2&displaylang=en
    >or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >
    >826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Is Available
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826939

    826939 is not on Windows Update. However 4 other patches are. Sigh!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Oct 17, 2003
  17. "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > >For now your best bet is the rollup security patch for XP released today
    > >Released today single, convenient patch that combines 22 previous

    updates.
    > >Aimed at customers who haven't diligently applied every software patch or
    > >who recently bought a new computer or recently installed Windows from
    > >scratch.
    > >
    > >Download from

    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D531BF00-D7BE-48E3

    -ABCC-961602BD72C2&displaylang=en
    > >or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    > >
    > >826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Is Available
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826939
    > >

    > 826939 is not on Windows Update. However 4 other patches are. Sigh!

    I'm pretty sure it is up there on Windows Update. Perhaps the detection
    logic of WindowsUpdate isn't showing it to you because you already have all
    the fixes applied to your machine that are included in the rollup.

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 18, 2003
  18. Brian Tozer

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:23:02 +1300, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@*S_P_A_M_isfucked(**(mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> >For now your best bet is the rollup security patch for XP released today
    >> >Released today single, convenient patch that combines 22 previous

    >updates.
    >> >Aimed at customers who haven't diligently applied every software patch or
    >> >who recently bought a new computer or recently installed Windows from
    >> >scratch.
    >> >
    >> >Download from

    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D531BF00-D7BE-48E3

    >-ABCC-961602BD72C2&displaylang=en
    >> >or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >> >
    >> >826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Is Available
    >> >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826939
    >> >

    >> 826939 is not on Windows Update. However 4 other patches are. Sigh!

    >I'm pretty sure it is up there on Windows Update. Perhaps the detection
    >logic of WindowsUpdate isn't showing it to you because you already have all
    >the fixes applied to your machine that are included in the rollup.

    !!! That's not how roll-up patches have worked in the past!!

    Enkidu, Oct 18, 2003
  19. Brian Tozer

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:23:02 +1300, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@*S_P_A_M_isfucked(**(mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> >For now your best bet is the rollup security patch for XP released today
    >> >Released today single, convenient patch that combines 22 previous

    >updates.
    >> >Aimed at customers who haven't diligently applied every software patch or
    >> >who recently bought a new computer or recently installed Windows from
    >> >scratch.
    >> >
    >> >Download from

    >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D531BF00-D7BE-48E3

    >-ABCC-961602BD72C2&displaylang=en
    >> >or http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    >> >
    >> >826939 Update Rollup 1 for Windows XP Is Available
    >> >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826939
    >> >

    >> 826939 is not on Windows Update. However 4 other patches are. Sigh!

    >I'm pretty sure it is up there on Windows Update. Perhaps the detection
    >logic of WindowsUpdate isn't showing it to you because you already have all
    >the fixes applied to your machine that are included in the rollup.

    No its here as Posted....

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826939

    Please try to read next time..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 18, 2003
  20. Brian Tozer

    bt Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:23:02 +1300, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@*S_P_A_M_isfucked(**(mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >I'm pretty sure it is up there on Windows Update. Perhaps the detection
    >logic of WindowsUpdate isn't showing it to you because you already have all
    >the fixes applied to your machine that are included in the rollup.

    Downloading it now.

    It's all them damn Linux users Nathan. They're trying to block it ;)

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Oct 18, 2003