    What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop (in
    the UK)?

    Thanks.

    Quimbler, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Quimbler

    Scraggy Guest

    Quimbler wrote:
    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    > (in the UK)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    1. Steal it
    2. Ebay
    --
    My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
    Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

    Scraggy, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Quimbler

    Brian Guest

    "Quimbler" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop (in
    > the UK)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    steal it.

    Brian, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Quimbler

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Quimbler composed the following;:
    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    > (in the UK)?

    Steal it.

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

    Paul - xxx, Jan 25, 2005
  5. "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop (in
    > the UK)?

    Buy an OEM copy and a power cord. Power cords qualify as hardware. No
    kidding.

    Oxford Systems, Jan 25, 2005
  6. "Quimbler" <> wrote in message

    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    > (in the UK)?

    Steal a laptop with XP on it.

    Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    thieving ****!

    --
    Glorious Goitre
    <titter>

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Oxford Systems wrote:
    > "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    >> (in the UK)?

    > Buy an OEM copy and a power cord. Power cords qualify as hardware. No
    > kidding.

    Not as far as validating an OEM licence they don't. The OEM EULA states that
    it must be an item of *NON* peripheral hardware (e.g. motherboard, hard
    drive, graphics card, sound card, optical drive, etc) - peripheral hardware
    (mice, keyboards, cables, printers, hubs, etc) do *NOT* qualify.
    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Quimbler

    Conor Guest

    In article <a9sJd.7$>, Miss Perspicacia Tick
    says...

    > Not as far as validating an OEM licence they don't. The OEM EULA states that
    > it must be an item of *NON* peripheral hardware (e.g. motherboard, hard
    > drive, graphics card, sound card, optical drive, etc) - peripheral hardware
    > (mice, keyboards, cables, printers, hubs, etc) do *NOT* qualify.

    Shame that a UK online component dealer disagrees with you.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    Conor, Jan 25, 2005
  9. "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <> wrote in message
    > Oxford Systems wrote:
    >> "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >>> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    >>> (in the UK)?

    >> Buy an OEM copy and a power cord. Power cords qualify as hardware. No
    >> kidding.

    > Not as far as validating an OEM licence they don't. The OEM EULA states
    > that it must be an item of *NON* peripheral hardware

    Sorry, but you're quite wrong. A power cord is considered "non peripheral
    hardware" as you can't run your PC without it. I just spent a full day back
    in November going over licensing with MS in Atlanta. The power cord info is
    direct from them.

    > peripheral hardware (mice, keyboards, cables, printers, hubs, etc) do
    > *NOT* qualify.

    That's right. Know why? Because mice, keyboards and printers *are*
    peripherals and not required to operate the computer. The power cord is not
    peripheral.

    Oxford Systems, Jan 25, 2005
  10. "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <a9sJd.7$>, Miss Perspicacia Tick
    > says...
    >
    >> Not as far as validating an OEM licence they don't. The OEM EULA states
    >> that
    >> it must be an item of *NON* peripheral hardware (e.g. motherboard, hard
    >> drive, graphics card, sound card, optical drive, etc) - peripheral
    >> hardware
    >> (mice, keyboards, cables, printers, hubs, etc) do *NOT* qualify.
    >>

    > Shame that a UK online component dealer disagrees with you.

    S'okay. Microsoft disagrees with her too. :)

    Oxford Systems, Jan 25, 2005
  11. Quimbler

    Quimbler Guest

    Oxford Systems wrote:
    > "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop (in
    >>the UK)?

    > Buy an OEM copy and a power cord. Power cords qualify as hardware. No
    > kidding.

    Why do you need to purchase anything other than the OS. The OEMs buy in
    bulk from the manufacturer; cannot they sell the XP to you, with the
    license key?

    Quimbler, Jan 25, 2005
  12. Quimbler

    Parko Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:08:12 +0000, Quimbler wrote:

    > What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop (in
    > the UK)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I bought it (through Ipex), and Office 2003, for AUD$33 each. Not that I
    use them much. Even if you buy an OEM version, just who is being ripped
    off?

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jan 25, 2005
  13. "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    > Oxford Systems wrote:
    >> "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop (in
    >>>the UK)?

    >> Buy an OEM copy and a power cord. Power cords qualify as hardware. No
    >> kidding.

    > Why do you need to purchase anything other than the OS.

    If you buy a retail copy, or a three pack of the OEM version, you don't.

    > The OEMs buy in bulk from the manufacturer; cannot they sell the XP to
    > you, with the license key?

    Nope. Not legally. Distributors and resellers can sell you a single OEM copy
    if you purchase qualifying hardware (like a two dollar power cord) or they
    can sell you an unopened three pack with COAs without any hardware purchase
    at all. Those that step outside the lines risk bringing down the wrath of
    Redmond.

    Oxford Systems, Jan 25, 2005
  14. Quimbler

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:36:24 GMT, "Oxford Systems" <>
    wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >Nope. Not legally. Distributors and resellers can sell you a single OEM copy
    >if you purchase qualifying hardware (like a two dollar power cord) or they
    >can sell you an unopened three pack with COAs without any hardware purchase
    >at all. Those that step outside the lines risk bringing down the wrath of
    >Redmond.

    What's the cheapest way of buying and *keeping* XP if I toss my computer and get
    another?

    Shel-hed, Jan 25, 2005
  15. Quimbler

    Quimbler Guest

    Oxford Systems wrote:
    > "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Oxford Systems wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Quimbler" <> wrote in message

    >>>Buy an OEM copy and a power cord. Power cords qualify as hardware. No
    >>>kidding.

    >>Why do you need to purchase anything other than the OS.

    > If you buy a retail copy, or a three pack of the OEM version, you don't.
    >

    >>The OEMs buy in bulk from the manufacturer; cannot they sell the XP to
    >>you, with the license key?

    > Nope. Not legally. Distributors and resellers can sell you a single OEM copy
    > if you purchase qualifying hardware (like a two dollar power cord) or they
    > can sell you an unopened three pack with COAs without any hardware purchase
    > at all. Those that step outside the lines risk bringing down the wrath of
    > Redmond.

    Why would anyone want a 3 pack of the same OS? And what does COA mean?
    Thanks.

    Quimbler, Jan 25, 2005
  16. "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    > Oxford Systems wrote:
    >> "Quimbler" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why do you need to purchase anything other than the OS.

    >> If you buy a retail copy, or a three pack of the OEM version, you don't.
    >>

    >>>The OEMs buy in bulk from the manufacturer; cannot they sell the XP to
    >>>you, with the license key?

    >> Nope. Not legally. Distributors and resellers can sell you a single OEM
    >> copy if you purchase qualifying hardware (like a two dollar power cord)
    >> or they can sell you an unopened three pack with COAs without any
    >> hardware purchase at all. Those that step outside the lines risk bringing
    >> down the wrath of Redmond.

    > Why would anyone want a 3 pack of the same OS?

    Maybe they have three PC's and need an OS for each. Maybe they plan to
    re-sell the OEM versions with qualifying hardware. The three packs are
    really meant for system builders. My point is that it is possible to buy
    three packs without purchasing hardware and still be legal.

    > And what does COA mean?

    Certificate of Authenticity. It's the Microsoft sticker that gets affixed to
    the case of the system on which the OEM version is installed. OEM software
    can't legally be transferred to another system and soon, with the coming
    "Genuine Microsoft" initiative, software that gets transferred or installed
    on multiple systems illegally will slowly begin to degrade (through Windows
    updates) until it finally stops working all together. That goes for MS
    Office as well as the XP OS.

    Oxford Systems, Jan 25, 2005
  17. Quimbler

    Tony Guest

    "Gloria Goitre" <> wrote in message
    > "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    >> (in the UK)?

    > Steal a laptop with XP on it.
    >
    > Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    > stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    > so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    > thieving ****!

    Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally. They
    make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell me who
    the thieving c*nts are?

    If they ploughed more money back into the OS for R&D to reduce the bugs and
    security flaws then the cost of the software would be money well spent. But
    it is much better to try and have a monolopy market where consumers don't
    have a lot of choice so you can rip them off and make pots of money (their
    loss making ventures are just further attempts to monopolise markets where
    there is competition which they are trying to wipe out and control -
    subsidised by the extortion money they earn from windows and office!!)

    Apart from this one legally licenced window machine, I now run Linux on all
    my others which is now getting to a stage where MS windows won't be needed
    in the future.

    Tony, Jan 25, 2005
  18. "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "Gloria Goitre" <> wrote in message
    >> "Quimbler" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> What is the most inexpensive way of getting Windows XP for a laptop
    >>> (in the UK)?

    >> Steal a laptop with XP on it.
    >>
    >> Of course, the British sense of fair play when it comes to
    >> stealing is precisely why prices for Microsoft products are
    >> so high; To reflect the levels of piracy within the UK. You
    >> thieving ****!
    >>

    > Hmmm - I beg to differ. If MS

    And I'll stop you at your first logical error.

    You show me where what you thought relates to that which I conveyed, then
    you can reread the "You thieving ****!" and explain where you thought that
    was directed given no one, not even the OP, other than my post and other
    posters suggested theft. And finally you moronic cuntard you may now FROAD,
    "You thieving ****!".

    --
    Glorious Goitre

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 25, 2005
  19. Quimbler

    chrisv Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >If MS didn't charge so much for their bug ridden
    >pile of crap they call an OS, then more people would buy it legally. They
    >make around 86% profit on Windows sales
    >http://www.ananova.com/business/story/sm_711827.html?menu - now tell me who
    >the thieving c*nts are?

    Definately. Even the ancient Win2k is going for over $200 retail.
    Wehn you can build a PC for under $500, that's a chunk of change for
    the OS!

    chrisv, Jan 25, 2005
  20. Quimbler

    Ron Martell Guest

    Shel-hed <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:36:24 GMT, "Oxford Systems" <>
    >wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >>Nope. Not legally. Distributors and resellers can sell you a single OEM copy
    >>if you purchase qualifying hardware (like a two dollar power cord) or they
    >>can sell you an unopened three pack with COAs without any hardware purchase
    >>at all. Those that step outside the lines risk bringing down the wrath of
    >>Redmond.

    >What's the cheapest way of buying and *keeping* XP if I toss my computer and get
    >another?

    OEM licenses are permanently locked to the first computer they are
    installed on and cannot be legitimately transferred to another
    computer under any circumstances, even if the original computer is
    scrapped, lost, stolen, or destroyed.

    Retail licenses belong to the purchaser and can be transferred from
    computer to computer to computer as the owner sees fit. A Retail
    Upgrade version may be a bit more expensive than an OEM version but
    provided that you have an original installation CD for a previous
    version of Windows (Windows 95 or later) the Retail Upgrade version
    will provide the licensing flexibility that you need.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP