    Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange that it is
    happening all of a sudden. I'm wondering is a Windows Update might be
    the culprit.

    mcp6453, May 28, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    The Prophecy Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > Lately, on a couple of XP machines, when you right click on an icon
    > and then click on Properties, the following menu is slow to appear.
    > The machines have been cleared of all viruses and spyware...multiple
    > times. Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange
    > that it is happening all of a sudden. I'm wondering is a Windows
    > Update might be the culprit.

    Approx. how long does the menu take to show up?

    The Prophecy, May 28, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Lately, on a couple of XP machines, when you right click on an icon and
    > then click on Properties, the following menu is slow to appear. The
    > machines have been cleared of all viruses and spyware...multiple times.
    > Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange that it is
    > happening all of a sudden. I'm wondering is a Windows Update might be
    > the culprit.

    Unless there's still some "hidden" process you're unaware of. Might be
    advisable to download the program "Hijack This", save it to a folder(though
    not a temporary one)and post the log here or at www.pcguide.com(I mention
    the latter cause there are some really experienced geeks over there who can
    help out with this).

    Mark Mandell, May 28, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > Lately, on a couple of XP machines, when you right click on an icon and
    > then click on Properties, the following menu is slow to appear. The
    > machines have been cleared of all viruses and spyware...multiple times.
    > Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange that it is

    If the machines had multiple viruses and spyware that had to be cleared
    multiple times then what you are seeing is the damage left behind. Virus
    and spyware cleaners dont repair the damage done they only remove the
    nasties. Bet bet in the future is not to install any viruses or spyware.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 28, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    The Prophecy wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    > > Lately, on a couple of XP machines, when you right click on an icon
    > > and then click on Properties, the following menu is slow to appear.
    > > The machines have been cleared of all viruses and spyware...multiple
    > > times. Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange
    > > that it is happening all of a sudden. I'm wondering is a Windows
    > > Update might be the culprit.

    > Approx. how long does the menu take to show up?

    Sometimes as much as ten seconds.

    mcp6453, May 28, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    The Prophecy Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > The Prophecy wrote:
    >>
    >> mcp6453 wrote:
    >>> Lately, on a couple of XP machines, when you right click on an icon
    >>> and then click on Properties, the following menu is slow to appear.
    >>> The machines have been cleared of all viruses and spyware...multiple
    >>> times. Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange
    >>> that it is happening all of a sudden. I'm wondering is a Windows
    >>> Update might be the culprit.

    >> Approx. how long does the menu take to show up?

    > Sometimes as much as ten seconds.

    Download Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, update them and run a full scan with both.
    Couldn't hurt to do a full virus scan either.

    Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org

    The Prophecy, May 28, 2004
  7. My "Slow Right Click" problem was very weird. I had a shortcut in my
    start menu pointing to PhotoShop on my work colleagues PC and he was
    on his hols so his PC was switched off, I switched his PC on and it
    now works fine again. Phew!!! The slow right click is caused when
    Windows is searching registry and cant find an application associated
    to a file type.

    Graham Dutton
    www.grahamdutton.co.uk

    Graham Dutton, Jun 2, 2004

  8. > mcp6453 wrote:

    > > Lately, on a couple of XP machines, when you right click on an icon and
    > > then click on Properties, the following menu is slow to appear. The
    > > machines have been cleared of all viruses and spyware...multiple times.
    > > Have any thoughts on what the problem might be? It is strange that it is

    This sounds very similar to what has been happening to my computer and also
    a friends computer after running the latest Windows XP updates.

    The computer runs fine then freezes up for a couple of minutes, then frees
    itself up again and continues on.

    It is sometimes slow to boot up too.

    I have good antivirus software plus Spy removal software which I run
    regularly.

    I firmly believe it is something within one of the Windows XP updates that
    is messing with the computer.

    Garry

    Garry Beattie, Jun 4, 2004