    He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.

    If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    whats' the deal with that?

    philo, Oct 17, 2006

  2. philo

    chuckie® Guest

    Some colleges/universities got large blocks of site licenses in order to
    have all their students 'on the same page'. Allegedly, you are not supposed
    to use it after you graduate, however, how they enforce it is beyond me...

    chuckie®, Oct 17, 2006

  3. philo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:26:10 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >I recently replaced a HD in a friends laptop...
    >It came with XP pre-loaded...
    >so I told him he was responsible for loading the OS.
    >
    >No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    >He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    >
    >If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    >whats' the deal with that?

    AFAIK, there is no XP Student Edition.

    Evan Platt, Oct 17, 2006
  4. philo

    x@y Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    >I recently replaced a HD in a friends laptop...
    > It came with XP pre-loaded...
    > so I told him he was responsible for loading the OS.
    >
    > No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    > He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    >
    > If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    > whats' the deal with that?

    Hello philo,

    More info from Yahoo search here: http://tinyurl.com/sj23c

    Hope it will help, x@y

    x@y, Oct 17, 2006
  5. philo

    Noxonomus Guest

    On 16 Oct 2006 "philo" <> wrote:

    > No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    > He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    >
    > If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    > whats' the deal with that?

    At my school "student edition" is a euphemism for pirated. I would imagine
    that is true some other places as well.

    --
    Noxonomus

    Noxonomus, Oct 17, 2006
  6. philo

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Evan Platt <> said in

    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:26:10 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I recently replaced a HD in a friends laptop...
    >>It came with XP pre-loaded...
    >>so I told him he was responsible for loading the OS.
    >>
    >>No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    >>He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    >>
    >>If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    >>whats' the deal with that?

    > AFAIK, there is no XP Student Edition.

    Then you'd be wrong:

    http://www.productquest.net/windows-xp-pro-nfr-32bit-student-media-with-
    product-key-code.html

    Jerry Attic, Oct 17, 2006
  7. philo

    Shannon Guest

    Shannon, Oct 17, 2006
  8. philo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 05:39:46 +0200, Jerry Attic <0m>
    wrote:

    >Then you'd be wrong:
    >
    >http://www.productquest.net/windows-xp-pro-nfr-32bit-student-media-with-
    >product-key-code.html

    "**Upgrade license only; not a full license. Students who wish to
    acquire the Windows XP Professional Upgrade license through the
    Student Select program must first have licensed a qualifying operating
    system for their personal computer or workstation. For a list of
    qualifying operating systems, please refer to the Microsoft Volume
    Licensing Product List."

    Interesting.

    Evan Platt, Oct 17, 2006
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    "chuckie®" <> wrote in message
    > Some colleges/universities got large blocks of site licenses in order to
    > have all their students 'on the same page'. Allegedly, you are not

    supposed
    > to use it after you graduate, however, how they enforce it is beyond me...

    Well...most of the people I know...took about 20 years to make it to
    graduation :)

    philo, Oct 17, 2006
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    > >>No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    > >>He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    > >>
    > >>If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    > >>whats' the deal with that?

    > > AFAIK, there is no XP Student Edition.

    > Then you'd be wrong:
    >
    > http://www.productquest.net/windows-xp-pro-nfr-32bit-student-media-with-
    > product-key-code.html

    It's weird that someone could sell a working . XP OS without the license...
    but it looks like there is such a thing.
    Maybe now that Vista is comming out, MS is gettting a little lax with it's
    XP ?

    philo, Oct 17, 2006
  11. "philo" <> wrote in message
    >I recently replaced a HD in a friends laptop...
    > It came with XP pre-loaded...
    > so I told him he was responsible for loading the OS.
    >
    > No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    > He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    >
    > If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    > whats' the deal with that?

    The current crop are known as Student Edition, Self-Esteem Release.

    This nomenclature is consistent with the current educational system which
    emphasizes feeling good about yourself and not having a negative thought
    about anyone else rather than about learning and developing critical
    thinking skills so the student will be able to make a go of it in the
    world....

    Doug

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Oct 17, 2006
  12. philo

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    wrote:

    >Evan Platt <> said in
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:26:10 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently replaced a HD in a friends laptop...
    >>>It came with XP pre-loaded...
    >>>so I told him he was responsible for loading the OS.
    >>>
    >>>No problem, he told me he had XP "student edition"
    >>>He claimed it was a copy which requires no activation.
    >>>
    >>>If this is true...does it have some type of expiration data on it...
    >>>whats' the deal with that?

    >> AFAIK, there is no XP Student Edition.

    >Then you'd be wrong:
    >
    >http://www.productquest.net/windows-xp-pro-nfr-32bit-student-media-with-
    >product-key-code.html

    yes indeed, it's been rife in the NGs fo some months now...

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Oct 18, 2006
  13. philo

    Jerry Attic Guest

    "philo" <> said in

    >> > AFAIK, there is no XP Student Edition.

    >> Then you'd be wrong:
    >>
    >> http://www.productquest.net/windows-xp-pro-nfr-32bit-student-media-wit
    >> h- product-key-code.html

    > It's weird that someone could sell a working . XP OS without the
    > license... but it looks like there is such a thing.
    > Maybe now that Vista is comming out, MS is gettting a little lax with
    > it's XP ?

    I bought a copy and installed it on a machine which I made for someone
    else. The machine kept crashing (it turned out to be a bad motherboard) and
    I had to reinstall it about 3 times. Upon the last install, it required me
    to call Microsoft to re-register the software. I did this (and talked to
    some nice man in Bangalore, I assume) and they did give me the code to
    register the software again. So I must assume that A.) The product key/SN
    was valid and B.) The software was legit. Go figure.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Oct 18, 2006