    of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been fighting DirectX
    problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in many web pages, not
    always but often).

    stumpy, Jan 15, 2004

  2. stumpy

    Ron Martell Guest

    "stumpy" <> wrote:

    >I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
    >partition
    >(C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible? If
    >possible
    >then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
    >
    >I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my misuse
    >of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been fighting DirectX
    >problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in many web pages, not
    >always but often).

    Not a real problem at all.

    When you install a new program just change the install path so it
    reads D:\..... instead of C:\......

    Sometimes you have to manually change the displayed install location,
    others have a "browse" function to locate the directory/folder where
    you want it to install.

    If you download and install TweakUI for Windows XP from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp then
    that will allow you to change the default location for standard
    folders such as "Program Files" which may make the installs easier for
    you.

    I have the majority of my programs installed on a separate partition
    and my multi-boot system is configured so that this partition is
    always available, with the same drive letter, no matter which of my 3
    versions of Windows that I choose to boot. It works very well and
    reliably.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 15, 2004

  3. stumpy

    °Mike° Guest

    You can't separate DirectX from the operating system partition;
    it's an integral part of the OS.

    HOW TO Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:30:59 -0700, in
    <HwENb.5691$A74.3320@fed1read02>
    stumpy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 15, 2004
  4. stumpy

    stumpy Guest

    Ron/Mike:
    Thank you for your prompt and courteous responses. I very much appreciate
    your service.

    Also: I have noticed that if a poster requests help that a response is from
    either one of you it can be clearly taken that what ever information and
    guidance is provided it can be accepted as correct, germane and 'gospel for
    PC's'.

    stumpy, Jan 15, 2004
  5. stumpy

    Harrison Guest

    It will work to a degree.
    The programs will still install some parts of themselves to the system
    drive, in most cases. They will also make changes to the registry..
    It is, however, a step in the right direction.

    Harrison, Jan 15, 2004
  6. stumpy

    Senti Guest

    stumpy did mumble HwENb.5691$A74.3320@fed1read02...

    > I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
    > partition
    > (C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible?
    > If possible
    > then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
    >
    > I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my
    > misuse of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been
    > fighting DirectX problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in
    > many web pages, not always but often).

    You can use a registry tweak to change the default program folders path...

    "Change Default Program Files Directory"

    "This tweak is great if you keep all your programs on a separate partition
    as Windows. For instance, I keep Windows on my C partition and all my
    programs on my D partition. This way, if I should ever need to reinstall
    Windows, my programs remain installed and, after importing a backup of my
    old registry, fully functional. Anyway, getting back to the tweak... "

    "Open the Registry Editor and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    Now modify the string ProgramFilesDir to the path that you want future
    programs to suggest as the installation directory (i.e. D:\Program Files) "

    Taken from http://www.puppypc.com/windows/tt/random_tt.htm
    --
    ~SF~
    Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not

    Senti, Jan 15, 2004
  7. stumpy

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:58:49 -0700, in
    <OWENb.5695$A74.1363@fed1read02>
    stumpy scrawled:

    >Ron/Mike:
    >Thank you for your prompt and courteous responses.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 15, 2004
  8. Along these same lines, would it be ok to have 3 partitions , put WinXp on
    C: partition, Prog Files on a D: partition and all my data files, music ,
    graphics files etc on another partition.
    What size partition would you suggest for Xp Home with full SP1 ? Will all
    these partitions affect or help performance ?

    Cheers

    "

    Dr. Hackenbush, Jan 16, 2004
  9. stumpy

    LO&MsLO Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:11:06 -0000, "Dr. Hackenbush"
    <> wrote:

    >Along these same lines, would it be ok to have 3 partitions , put WinXp on
    >C: partition, Prog Files on a D: partition and all my data files, music ,
    >graphics files etc on another partition.
    >What size partition would you suggest for Xp Home with full SP1 ? Will all
    >these partitions affect or help performance ?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >"Senti" <> wrote in message
    >> stumpy did mumble HwENb.5691$A74.3320@fed1read02...
    >>
    >> > I have a hard drive with two partitions. I wish to install XP on one
    >> > partition
    >> > (C) and all the other programs on (D). Is this possible or feasible?
    >> > If possible
    >> > then is there any particular procedure I should accomplish?
    >> >
    >> > I'm fed up with having problems with XP caused by conflicts or my
    >> > misuse of the other applications that I cannot cure. I have been
    >> > fighting DirectX problems and video exceptions (will not load HTML in
    >> > many web pages, not always but often).

    >> You can use a registry tweak to change the default program folders path...
    >>
    >> "Change Default Program Files Directory"
    >>
    >> "This tweak is great if you keep all your programs on a separate partition
    >> as Windows. For instance, I keep Windows on my C partition and all my
    >> programs on my D partition. This way, if I should ever need to reinstall
    >> Windows, my programs remain installed and, after importing a backup of my
    >> old registry, fully functional. Anyway, getting back to the tweak... "
    >>
    >> "Open the Registry Editor and navigate to:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    >> Now modify the string ProgramFilesDir to the path that you want future
    >> programs to suggest as the installation directory (i.e. D:\Program Files)

    >"
    >>
    >> Taken from http://www.puppypc.com/windows/tt/random_tt.htm
    >> --
    >> ~SF~
    >> Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not
    >> punished. -Jeremy Bentham

    I've been seperating the OS from my other programs for years. My wife
    and daughter each have seperate drives that all their own programs and
    personal stuff (documents, pictures, MP3s...etc) go on. Then I have
    one for FTP/Fserve files and several personal partitions. Right now I
    have 3 physical HDs and 7 partitions.

    LO&MsLO, Jan 16, 2004
  10. stumpy

    Joe Schmo Guest

    Thanks for confirming that, at least every time XP goes pear shaped I can
    reinstall without too much work

    ,

    Joe Schmo, Jan 16, 2004
  11. stumpy

    LO&MsLO Guest

    I've also..a couple of times taken the drive with my MP3s on it out of
    machine and brought it over to a friends house to load them on their
    machine. Much faster than burning when you have 7GB+ of files.

    John

    LO&MsLO, Jan 16, 2004