XP Professional

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, May 13, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Hi

    When I bought my new computer I went the whole hog and got XP professional.
    But no disk arrive with my system. I did try to get a copy but as I ended up
    dealing with 2 un co-operative parties I moved focus to more immediate
    business matters.

    Now its time to format my drive and no operating system in install. How can
    I get a copy of XP as a licence owner I feel MS should help but they just
    say go to your seller. The seller tell me it was the manufacturer.

    What do I do!!!.

    --
    Cheers

    Peter

    Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    http://www.etchpad.com/

    Peter, May 13, 2004

  2. Peter

    ndorphin Guest

    who did yuou get the computer off ?

    ndorphin, May 13, 2004

  3. Peter

    Collector Guest

    Peter wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >When I bought my new computer I went the whole hog and got XP professional.
    >But no disk arrive with my system. I did try to get a copy but as I ended up
    >dealing with 2 un co-operative parties I moved focus to more immediate
    >business matters.
    >
    >Now its time to format my drive and no operating system in install. How can
    >I get a copy of XP as a licence owner I feel MS should help but they just
    >say go to your seller. The seller tell me it was the manufacturer.
    >
    >What do I do!!!.

    Did you get a COA with a sticker on the machine with a product key, if
    not you have been hard loaded and ripped off, so report it to MS.
    If you have the sticker etc insist the supplier gives you an original
    install rom, they sold it they have to honour the deal. If they refuse
    go to the Fair Trade People.

    Collector, May 13, 2004
  4. Peter

    JohnO Guest

    "Collector" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >When I bought my new computer I went the whole hog and got XP

    professional.
    > >But no disk arrive with my system. I did try to get a copy but as I ended

    up
    > >dealing with 2 un co-operative parties I moved focus to more immediate
    > >business matters.
    > >
    > >Now its time to format my drive and no operating system in install. How

    can
    > >I get a copy of XP as a licence owner I feel MS should help but they just
    > >say go to your seller. The seller tell me it was the manufacturer.
    > >
    > >What do I do!!!.
    > >

    > Did you get a COA with a sticker on the machine with a product key, if
    > not you have been hard loaded and ripped off, so report it to MS.
    > If you have the sticker etc insist the supplier gives you an original
    > install rom, they sold it they have to honour the deal. If they refuse
    > go to the Fair Trade People.

    Agreed. But also look and see if you got a CD with your computer called
    "Product Recovery". If so, that contains your WinXP installer.

    JohnO, May 13, 2004
  5. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > When I bought my new computer I went the whole hog and got XP
    > professional.
    > But no disk arrive with my system. I did try to get a copy but as I ended
    > up
    > dealing with 2 un co-operative parties I moved focus to more immediate
    > business matters.
    >
    > Now its time to format my drive and no operating system in install. How
    > can
    > I get a copy of XP as a licence owner I feel MS should help but they just
    > say go to your seller. The seller tell me it was the manufacturer.
    >
    > What do I do!!!.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    >
    > Peter

    > Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    > http://www.etchpad.com/

    Hi Peter,
    if your PC is from HP, Dell or one of the larger international manufacturers
    you probably either received a restore CD or there will be a hidden restore
    partition on the hard disk (the instructions on accessing this partition
    will be in the manual or available from the OEM's support people). If the PC
    was sourced from a local OEM you should have received a Windows XP
    Professional CD. Irrespective of the PC brand, there should be a Windows XP
    Professional COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label on the case - this
    label will show the Product Key number you need when you do the reinstall.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, May 13, 2004
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    >who did yuou get the computer off ?

    The Computer was Manufactored by Cyclone Computers... I do like these
    people.. It was Complete Invercargill (sinced Closed) who sold it..

    >Did you get a COA with a sticker on the machine with a product key

    Yes..

    >Agreed. But also look and see if you got a CD with your computer called
    >"Product Recovery". If so, that contains your WinXP installer.

    No.. Never got this.. I rang Cyclone they said there was none and that the
    operating system was totally on the computer..Its was just the OEM deal they
    had way back then. I beleive this practice has stopped now...

    Peter, May 13, 2004
  7. Peter

    Collector Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>When I bought my new computer I went the whole hog and got XP
    >>professional.
    >>But no disk arrive with my system. I did try to get a copy but as I ended
    >>up
    >>dealing with 2 un co-operative parties I moved focus to more immediate
    >>business matters.
    >>
    >>Now its time to format my drive and no operating system in install. How
    >>can
    >>I get a copy of XP as a licence owner I feel MS should help but they just
    >>say go to your seller. The seller tell me it was the manufacturer.
    >>
    >>What do I do!!!.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Peter
    >>

    >>*************************************************************
    >>Teach others what you know about Windows Programs in Seconds with
    >>http://www.etchpad.com/
    >>
    >>*************************************************************
    >>

    >Hi Peter,
    >if your PC is from HP, Dell or one of the larger international manufacturers
    >you probably either received a restore CD or there will be a hidden restore
    >partition on the hard disk (the instructions on accessing this partition
    >will be in the manual or available from the OEM's support people). If the PC
    >was sourced from a local OEM you should have received a Windows XP
    >Professional CD. Irrespective of the PC brand, there should be a Windows XP
    >Professional COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label on the case - this
    >label will show the Product Key number you need when you do the reinstall.
    >
    >Brett Roberts
    >Microsoft NZ

    Brett his problem is it was a hard load with COA but no media, he needs
    a CD of XP to reinstall.

    Collector, May 13, 2004
  8. Peter

    Edmond Lo Guest

    > No.. Never got this.. I rang Cyclone they said there was none and that the
    > operating system was totally on the computer..Its was just the OEM deal

    they
    > had way back then. I beleive this practice has stopped now...

    Even OEM copy should come with an OEM CD as well. The place that I used to
    work at, the OEM packet comes with the OEM CD, book and the sticker with the
    product key. They simply peel the sticker off the packet and stick it onto
    the PC case.

    Edmond Lo, May 13, 2004
  9. Peter

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > When I bought my new computer I went the whole hog and got XP professional.
    > But no disk arrive with my system. I did try to get a copy but as I ended up
    > dealing with 2 un co-operative parties I moved focus to more immediate
    > business matters.
    >
    > Now its time to format my drive and no operating system in install. How can
    > I get a copy of XP as a licence owner I feel MS should help but they just
    > say go to your seller. The seller tell me it was the manufacturer.
    >
    > What do I do!!!.

    Linux.....But you may not be ready to hear that yet.

    But it is the path to freedom from such marketing-dictated impediments
    to just getting the job done.

    Try Xandros 2.0 Deluxe...and you can run MS Office and many other
    popular Windows apps just fine.

    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    steve, May 13, 2004
  10. steve wrote:
    > Linux.....But you may not be ready to hear that yet.
    >
    > But it is the path to freedom from such marketing-dictated impediments
    > to just getting the job done.
    >
    > Try Xandros 2.0 Deluxe...and you can run MS Office and many other
    > popular Windows apps just fine.

    Lets all move to Linux so that we can emulate Windows.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, May 13, 2004
  11. Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >>Try Xandros 2.0 Deluxe...and you can run MS Office and many other
    >>popular Windows apps just fine.

    > Lets all move to Linux so that we can emulate Windows.

    hahahah, I always find it humorous when you read a review, and they say
    "just as good as windows"... shouldn't the target be "better than windows"?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 13, 2004
  12. Peter

    steve Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >>Linux.....But you may not be ready to hear that yet.
    >>
    >>But it is the path to freedom from such marketing-dictated impediments
    >>to just getting the job done.
    >>
    >>Try Xandros 2.0 Deluxe...and you can run MS Office and many other
    >>popular Windows apps just fine.

    > Lets all move to Linux so that we can emulate Windows.

    You can if you need to.

    But you don't need to - *especially* if everyone moves to Linux.

    Thanks for pointing that out....sort of.

    steve, May 13, 2004
  13. Peter

    JedMeister Guest

    Maybe "Just as good, and free" would be more appropriate.

    JedMeister, May 13, 2004
  14. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Linux just get better looking every day....IM actually not a MS basher. They
    have been good to me, including the odd free app. and even an air ticket and
    alcohol.

    So what's my option.. Borrow a copy of XP. But how can I match the
    Professional COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label with a borrowed copy...

    Dam you Bill. You make even the life a paying customer HELL!!!!

    Peter, May 13, 2004
  15. JedMeister wrote:
    > Maybe "Just as good, and free" would be more appropriate.

    I was actually referring to Xandros pro(paid for), the one Steve uses...
    I should have been clearer.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 13, 2004
  16. Peter

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > So what's my option.. Borrow a copy of XP. But how can I match the
    > Professional COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label with a borrowed copy...
    >
    > Dam you Bill. You make even the life a paying customer HELL!!!!

    It was the builder saving a few bucks that you should blame.
    Your OEM number will prob only work with another generic OEM disk.

    colinco, May 13, 2004
  17. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Linux just get better looking every day....IM actually not a MS basher.
    > They
    > have been good to me, including the odd free app. and even an air ticket
    > and
    > alcohol.
    >

    > So what's my option.. Borrow a copy of XP. But how can I match the
    > Professional COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label with a borrowed
    > copy...
    >
    > Dam you Bill. You make even the life a paying customer HELL!!!!

    One of the intentions of introducing the OEM Windows COA label was that the
    an end user or repair person could grab any OEM copy of the product and
    reinstall it. This was made possible by the fact that the product key was
    permanently (or as near as you can get) affixed to the PC itself and wasn't
    a sticker on a manual which went missing 5 minutes after the PC was first
    setup. Translation: there is no need to "match" an OEM Windows CD to a
    product key - the CD's are all identical, it's the product keys which are
    unique.

    Brett Roberts, May 13, 2004
  18. Peter

    Barg Guest

    Buy a new license. It's the Micro$$$oft way.

    Barg
    (via Linux)

    Barg, May 13, 2004
  19. Peter

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe "Just as good, and free" would be more appropriate.

    > I was actually referring to Xandros pro(paid for), the one Steve uses...
    > I should have been clearer.

    Yes, you have to pay for it....and the license lets you install that one
    copy on every PC in the house - well - whenever you want or (relevant in
    thie case) when you NEED to.

    steve, May 13, 2004
  20. Peter

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Linux just get better looking every day....IM actually not a MS basher. They
    > have been good to me, including the odd free app. and even an air ticket and
    > alcohol.
    >

    > So what's my option.. Borrow a copy of XP. But how can I match the
    > Professional COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label with a borrowed copy...
    >
    > Dam you Bill. You make even the life a paying customer HELL!!!!

    To be fair to Microsoft, the code for the software should work with any
    copy of it.

    You can download programs on the Internet that will generate valid codes
    for you if you want to.

    One of the reasons I use Linux is because Microsoft software is too
    expensive for me to put it on my 9 PC s legally. I build all my systems
    myself. I haven't bought a built-up system since 1991.

    Windows XP and MS Office for 9 PCs would cost me *thousands* every year
    to buy and then keep upgraded....an epxense few home users like me can
    afford....even if they are relatively well paid.

    Linux will do all that for $125....including Open Office.

    steve, May 13, 2004