    freezes, and you wont be able to do anything unless you re-boot. Its a Dell
    system, fully loaded, Intel Xeon workstation, and Dell hasn't a clue as to
    why its doing this? Should I downgrade to standard XP Pro? Need help asap!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Jul 27, 2007

  2. The variations are too numerous to line up, we need some sort of head start.

    Is this happening to a completely new machine? Or did it used to work and
    then go bad later?

    Is it XP or Vista?

    Try and give us an idea of your system - what graphics, HD, memory and
    externals.

    If this is a fresh installation and you don't have anything to salvage, then
    I would contemplate re-installing from scratch, disable and disconnect
    everything that you don't need for booting the machine, USB devices and
    Network and such. Even get yourself an old PS2 keyboard if you can find one.
    Likewise, disable everything in the BIOS Setup that you don't need for
    booting the machine.

    If you have material that you don't want to lose, do the same as above, but
    make complete B/U and 'Repair Install'.

    Above all - flash your BIOS if there is a new(er) one. And make sure that
    all your drivers to all your connected hardware are 64bit - you could easily
    get it wrong from the download pages of many sites that stand out as
    potential winners in the art of Maze-Construction.

    If you are met with error messages, try and write them down verbatim and let
    us know what happens.

    Tony. . .

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > When the computer is turned on, it boots like normal, to the login screen
    > with the user accounts. When you click on any of the user account icons,

    it

    Tony Sperling, Jul 27, 2007

  3. will it boot in safe mode?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2007
  4. When it freezes up, it does not allow anything but to do manual reboot.
    It'll usually work after that, but its becoming more and more frequent as
    time goes on.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Jul 27, 2007
  5. Its a Dell Workstation 490, with an Intel Xeon Processor. 2 gigs of RAM,
    using on-board graphics/sound, hard drive is 180 Gigs, only external is an HP
    7210 multi-purpose printer.

    Supposedly, this is one of the most stable systems Dell makes for
    workstations, so I don't know why I'm running into this.

    I'm going to do the backup this weekend, however, my concern is that I've
    been seeing horror stories about XP Professional x64, so should I downgrade
    to standard XP Pro? I won't upgrade to Vista, so that's not an option.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Jul 27, 2007
  6. Yes, there are Horror Stories. There allways is. Generally speaking, it is
    my opinion that they emanate from people who either put too much trust in
    advertizing - have their first experience with a MS OS version change while
    the change is happening - or think it will double the speed of their
    machine. Disappointment is a powerful factor in all human interaction..

    In fact, if your hardware is up to it, and you manage to find drivers that
    match your hardware, and you know enough to keep a sound and stable machine
    running - all extremely basic requirements on any platform - then, XP x64 is
    regarded by most of the regulars here as the best OS they made since Win2K -
    not necessarily counting the server editions. If you just fired up your
    first PC last week and read about 64bits this week, then 64bits may not be
    for you? It isn't solving more problems than it creates for most pedestrian
    computing at the moment. I assume you are safely beyond that borderline. But
    running a 32bit system in most instances is no problem at all, the
    performance difference is relatively small, but you need 64bits to go beyond
    4GB of RAM.

    Over the last couple of years there has been issues with BIOS's since 64bit
    computing is like a paradigm shift for the BIOS and often functional support
    is a bit late in that department. It is probably important in your situation
    that you check for an update before we get lost in experimentations.

    Did this system work fine initially, or did it start misbehaving right after
    or during installation? How old is the machine?

    What graphics driver are you using, and did you update the original that
    came with the machine? (Manufacturer and version, please!)

    Your HD - is that one single SATA drive?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 27, 2007
  7. This is a hardware problem, almost certainly. But you didn't answer the
    specific question. Will it reliably boot in safe mode?

    I'd _start_ by running a really good memory tester.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 28, 2007