    What I need to know is when do I loose my license for XP32? When I press
    continue on the page that states the above? When I actually install XP64?

    TIA
    elziko, Jul 12, 2005

  2. "elziko" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > I'm considering taking advantage of the advancement program but must do it
    > before the end of July.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is sign up for it now, but carry on using XP32 until I
    > am able to get non-beta drivers for all my hardware and I am sure that all
    > my software is compatible. I wont be able to do this by the end of July.
    >
    > However the MS site says:
    >
    > "By participating in this program, your 32-bit version of Windows XP
    > Professional will no longer be licensed."
    >
    > What I need to know is when do I loose my license for XP32? When I press
    > continue on the page that states the above? When I actually install XP64?

    You should consider your 32-bit license no longer valid as soon as you
    receive the media.
    At this time you should replace your 32-bit install with your new x64
    install.
    Since your 32-bit license is no longer valid you may be unable to use
    certain facilities that depend on you having a genuine licensed copy of
    Windows installed on your PC.
    I cannot give you a precise time at which your license is invalidated nor
    can I discuss the services that may become unavailable to you, which is why
    if you wish to swap out your license via the TAP you should consider that
    license revoked on receipt of media and should continue with your install in
    a timely fashion.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jul 12, 2005

  3. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:54:00 +0100, Mike Brannigan [MSFT]
    <> wrote:

    > "elziko" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm considering taking advantage of the advancement program but must do
    >> it
    >> before the end of July.
    >>
    >> What I'd like to do is sign up for it now, but carry on using XP32
    >> until I
    >> am able to get non-beta drivers for all my hardware and I am sure that
    >> all
    >> my software is compatible. I wont be able to do this by the end of July.
    >>
    >> However the MS site says:
    >>
    >> "By participating in this program, your 32-bit version of Windows XP
    >> Professional will no longer be licensed."
    >>
    >> What I need to know is when do I loose my license for XP32? When I press
    >> continue on the page that states the above? When I actually install
    >> XP64?
    >>

    > You should consider your 32-bit license no longer valid as soon as you
    > receive the media.
    > At this time you should replace your 32-bit install with your new x64
    > install.
    > Since your 32-bit license is no longer valid you may be unable to use
    > certain facilities that depend on you having a genuine licensed copy of
    > Windows installed on your PC.
    > I cannot give you a precise time at which your license is invalidated nor
    > can I discuss the services that may become unavailable to you, which is
    > why
    > if you wish to swap out your license via the TAP you should consider that
    > license revoked on receipt of media and should continue with your
    > install in
    > a timely fashion.

    Just to raise a point here, the answer to this question has now changed.
    The previous answer was always, "upon activation of X64", now it's when
    received... This is quite a big deal. I upgraded on the advice of MSFT
    advice being upon activatation, and have always intended to deploy it when
    ready, and keeping my 32bit install in the meantime.

    As for Microsoft using the term "timely fashion", that's pretty laughable,
    considering the Technology Advancement Program farce so far...
    Mark Gillespie, Jul 12, 2005
  4. elziko

    John Barnes Guest

    :) LOL

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Mark Gillespie wrote:
    > As for Microsoft using the term "timely fashion", that's pretty
    > laughable, considering the Technology Advancement Program farce so far...

    Well, in contract terms your "timely fashion" is probably the same as
    theirs. And since you can't possibly switch to x64 before you receive
    it, I would guess that you have a ca 3 month grace period to switch over
    to the new system :)

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jul 12, 2005
  6. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:14:43 +0100, Thomas Steffen
    <> wrote:

    > Mark Gillespie wrote:
    >> As for Microsoft using the term "timely fashion", that's pretty
    >> laughable, considering the Technology Advancement Program farce so
    >> far...

    > Well, in contract terms your "timely fashion" is probably the same as
    > theirs. And since you can't possibly switch to x64 before you receive
    > it, I would guess that you have a ca 3 month grace period to switch over
    > to the new system :)
    >
    > Thomas

    Good point...

    Now if only the vendors I am waiting on before deploying put out drivers
    in a timely fashon, everyone would be happy....
    Mark Gillespie, Jul 12, 2005
  7. elziko

    nospam Guest

    "elziko" <> wrote in message

    > I'm considering taking advantage of the advancement program but must do it
    > before the end of July.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is sign up for it now, but carry on using XP32 until I
    > am able to get non-beta drivers for all my hardware and I am sure that all
    > my software is compatible. I wont be able to do this by the end of July.
    >
    > However the MS site says:
    >
    > "By participating in this program, your 32-bit version of Windows XP
    > Professional will no longer be licensed."
    >
    > What I need to know is when do I loose my license for XP32? When I press
    > continue on the page that states the above? When I actually install XP64?

    I think that, the most important thing that one needs to consider when
    upgrading to the 64 bit version of XP is, that all your hardware is
    supported in that OS and should have all the drivers you need because, if
    not, the licensing doesn't mean didley.

    I've used the beta version of the 64 bit OS and I was very impressed with it
    however, due to lack of hardware support, I stopped using it. If someone
    will tell me that the support has been taken care of, I'll install it again
    and gladly give up the license to my 32 bit version because the 64 bit
    version is by far superior to its predescessor.
    nospam, Jul 13, 2005
  8. I recommend to all users thinking of moving to x64, dual boot with 32 bit
    Windows and give Trial a try first to see if it really fits your current
    workflow, you can't lose there.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 13, 2005
  9. elziko

    Proconsul Guest

    On 7/12/05 7:01 PM, in article , "Andre
    Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote:7/12/05 7:01 PM7/12/05
    7:01 PMAndre Da Costa [Extended64]7/12/05 7:01 PM

    > I recommend to all users thinking of moving to x64, dual boot with 32 bit
    > Windows and give Trial a try first to see if it really fits your current
    > workflow, you can't lose there.

    Best advice posted in a long time....rather than trying to make all
    convoluted special situations candidates for "one size fits all"....

    PC
    Proconsul, Jul 13, 2005