    stops at "Setup is starting Windows". The CD eventually spins down and
    there's no hard drive activity. Does anyone know how I can get this OS to
    install on my system?
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaCBL?=, Sep 1, 2006

  2. When I got a failure at that point (albeit a blue screen) it turned out to
    be a ram module. I had no problem with x86 but x64 didn't like it. I am
    not saying that is your problem, but I did notice that x86 seemed more
    tolerant than x64 on the same hardware at the point where the x64 was
    starting Windows at the end of the text phase.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 1, 2006

  3. One thing to try, then would be to swap the memorysticks in their sockets -
    if all the memory isn't in one stick, of course. Even then, taking the
    memory out and re-seat it in the same socket, could cure it too.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Re: XP Professional x64 Edition Hangs On Last Step of Install Proc

    Most install problems seem to come down to the following (short list):

    1.Bad installation media.

    2. Hard drive not jumpered correctly for OS AND motherboard. (I had two
    Walmart Online Only special computers I bought online that came with LinSpire
    installed on them and Windows XP Pro would bonk after the file copy stage.
    It turned out that the hard drives were jumpered Cable Select and Windows and
    the mother board did not like that. Rejumped drive and everything was find.

    3. Bad or incompatible drivers, have you downloaded the latest drivers.
    Download the lastest storage drivers from the chipset manufacturer not the
    motherboard manufacturer as the MB maker is usually behind a few versions.

    4. Bad hardware: RAM, CD/DVD, Cables.

    --
    Whenever you think you are having a bad day, just remember it could be you
    saying over and over again: "Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVhdGhOQUNhbg==?=, Sep 2, 2006