  1. My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
    however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
    characteristics as Professional or as Home?
    =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnk=?=, Jan 22, 2007

  2. MCE 2005 is like Home.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 22, 2007

  3. No, it does not. Has some of them, but not all.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 22, 2007
  4. harry wrote:
    > My point of sale software requires XP Professional (over XP Home). I have
    > however a PC with XP Media Center. Does Media Center have the same
    > characteristics as Professional or as Home?

    WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does
    _everything_ WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains
    additional multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.

    Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp

    However, for something as critical as POS software, you really should
    check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jan 23, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnk=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    AFAIK the only Pro feature that is missing is the ability to join a domain
    (which it can still be tricked into doing).

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 23, 2007
  6. Can't be upgraded to a business edition of Vista. Can't join a domain. (in a
    supported way with full functionality) and I seem to recall that some "pro
    only" software won't install on it (Services for UNIX, for one.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 23, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?aGFycnk=?=

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I imagine that would break the license agreement.
    You'll have to do your own searching on that.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 23, 2007