XP Prof. Versus Windows Media Center 2005 on a VAIO FE11S

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by nev, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. nev

    nev Guest

    Hi,

    Besides the inability to join domains and have cached credentials are
    there any other differences between WMC 2005 and XP Prof. ?

    On a Sony Vaio FE11S, Can I have them both installed on a Dual
    partition? and will it work if Windows Media Center is installed
    first? I was told by Sony that XP prof. cant be installed on the Vaio
    FE11S. I cant seem to find any logical reason for suggesting that!
    ....Has anyone experienced such an anomaly?

    Also, has anyone had any experience with installing SQL Serrver
    2000/2005 on windows media center. Im talking about SQL Server
    Developer Edition, not any other. Will there be any issues installing
    sql2k or 2005 on wmc 2005.

    Following are a list of development tools that I want installed on the
    wmc 2005:

    Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Edition
    Visual Studio 2005 Enterprise Edition
    SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition
    SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
    IBM MQ Sever 5.3
    ..Net Framework V2
    Biztalk 2004 and later

    Has anyone got any knowledge of any issues in installing them on WMC

    Thanks for your replies in advance.

    D.

    nev, Feb 23, 2006

  2. nev

    Duane Arnold Guest

    nev wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Besides the inability to join domains and have cached credentials are
    > there any other differences between WMC 2005 and XP Prof. ?

    Pro has IIS and can have 10 concurrent user connections.

    > On a Sony Vaio FE11S, Can I have them both installed on a Dual
    > partition? and will it work if Windows Media Center is installed
    > first? I was told by Sony that XP prof. cant be installed on the Vaio
    > FE11S. I cant seem to find any logical reason for suggesting that!
    > ...Has anyone experienced such an anomaly?

    Don't know

    > Also, has anyone had any experience with installing SQL Serrver
    > 2000/2005 on windows media center. Im talking about SQL Server
    > Developer Edition, not any other. Will there be any issues installing
    > sql2k or 2005 on wmc 2005.

    You should be using the Pro version.

    > Following are a list of development tools that I want installed on the
    > wmc 2005:
    >
    > Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Edition
    > Visual Studio 2005 Enterprise Edition
    > SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition
    > SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
    > IBM MQ Sever 5.3
    > .Net Framework V2
    > Biztalk 2004 and later
    >
    > Has anyone got any knowledge of any issues in installing them on WMC

    If you're some kind of developer, then you should know better than this.

    You should be using the Pro version of the O/S or possibly Win 2K
    server. Does WMC have IIS? If not, then how are you going to develop
    ASP.NET applications without IIS using VS 2003 or 2005?

    This WMC must have IIS on it as I don't see how you could have installed
    VS 2003 or 2005. However, in the real world, the developer would be
    using a Pro or Server version of the NT based O/S.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 25, 2006