xp problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nike1601, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. nike1601

    nike1601

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi the problem I am having is as follows:

    My laptop starts fine, I log on and am presented with all my icons etc (although this is a bit slow) I only get approx 2 mins to do anything. I am able to open the start menu and control panels however; I am unable to open anything from there. After the 2 mins I get an error message of:

    ifrmewrk.exe - Application error
    The instruction at "0x023a9d042 referenced at "0x001c0000"
    the memory could not be "read"

    Once I click 'ok' all of my icons, start menu etc disappear and I am left with just my wallpaper. I can alt, ctrl delete but when I click task manger it does not show. It does not connect to the internet either.

    I have searched through so many sites now but no one seems to have the same problem.

    I am running windows XP, I believe this is an Intel pro problem but I am unable to gain access to the add / remove programmes to take it off. I am also unable to gain access to the events log as it just shows me the egg timer for a second and then nothing.

    Although I know a bit about computers - simple instructions would be a big help!!!

    Thanking you in advance.

    nike1601, Jun 14, 2008

  2. nike1601

    MunchBC

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    I'd try booting in safe mode (F8 at the BOIS screen) and see if you can run the latest AVG anti-virus (I like it cause not only is it free, but I've been able to download it and use it to successfully remove viruses/trojans on systems that had been locked out of their current installations of AVG, as well as windows security updates).

    MunchBC, Jul 29, 2008