XP problems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9hbm5lSA==?=, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. Upgrading from fat to NT machine. Lots of headaches most I have figured out
    but this one is taking so much time I am asking for much needed help. The
    computer guy I paid el-buckos do just shook his head and said he could not
    understand it, as it never happened to him before. I did get some help with
    office and uninstalled and redid it a different way but while it runs I still
    have some issues with it.
    I have xp-pro. All the problems have to do with programs.
    I installed my office 2000 on new machine and office icon does not work.
    What it does is roll over to the tool bar and I have to use the tool bar for
    everything. It took 2 days but I got access working in a round about way and
    I would like to be able to go back to simply clicking on the access file and
    having it start to run as it did on the old machine, and the brief case is
    missing but I can live without it.

    I reinstalled many of my programs direct from their CD’s and some went fine
    and several come up with
    Not a win 32 application. None of these are more than 2 years old.

    Any programs that I download i.e turbo lister, several book search programs,
    etc. none will open.
    What is happening is that after download window comes up to open and run I
    click on run it flashes and then comes up with the not a win 32 program.

    Norton comes up as desktop comes up and states can’t find e,f,g drives (I
    don’t have these drives) though there are slots for them. So I have to
    click through all of these then Norton runs disk doctor and even if I click
    on close its just keeps running till its done. Which is a time consuming
    pain.
    How can I stop this?

    The machine is a HP 1653 with 2 hard drives. “C†drive is 250 “D†drive is
    500, 4 meg memory.
    All the rest is pretty standard I have dsl and that’s about it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9hbm5lSA==?=, Nov 5, 2007

  2. First, I think you've stumbled into the wrong newsgroup - this newsgroup is
    for 64bit Windows issues, and it doesn't sound like your system is running
    XP x64 Edition. But to try to offer some help...

    Something in your original install or in the downloads you've made has
    seriously gone awry. "Not a Win32 program" almost always means that you have
    a partial or corrupted file.

    I honestly think the best solution for you would be to start over. Do a
    fresh, clean install. Re-partition and re-format the hard disk as part of
    that install, don't try to make it work as is. If you have critical data
    (not programs, just the data) on your current C: drive, copy them over to
    the D: drive - it should have plenty of room. After you rebuild the machine,
    you can copy it back.

    Once you have XP re-installed, before you do ANYTHING else, go to Windows
    Update and install all the current patches. There are a LOT of them. You'll
    save some time by starting with XP Professional SP2, but there are still a
    lot after that.

    Once you have XP fully updated, then start installing your applications. I'd
    personally suggest you ditch Symantec - it will cause more issues than it
    solves, in my experience, and there are other, free or quite inexpensive,
    anti-virus programs that are preferred and less intrusive. Try the free
    version of AVG at http://free.grisoft.com/.

    Each time you install an application, make sure you verify that it's working
    as you expect. That way, if you end up with an application that doesn't work
    correctly, or causes others not to work correctly, you can quickly identify
    the source of the problem and remove it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Thank you for the response. I am sorry I posted in the wrong place can you
    direct me to the right place? as you can tell I am not a Wiz at this stuff.
    BTW I do have Service Pack 2 but I will check for additional updates. If you
    can direct me to fourm I want I would appreicate it thanks again jh

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9hbm5lSA==?=, Nov 6, 2007
  4. No problem. It's only that here you're going to find a lot of folks who have
    specialized in 64bit issues. On the XP forums, you're more likely to find
    folks who've specialized in those areas. The newsgroup I'd start in would be
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64