    am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed for at least a
    year?

    Thanks in advance

    Ad Noctum, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Ad Noctum

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:25:59 +0100, "Ad Noctum"
    <> wrote:
    >Hi my sister has a problem starting her computer. She has XP Home but when
    >she boots the computer up it gets as far as the welcome screen and then just
    >sits there. Now I have tried booting into safe mode, booting from the cd
    >disc and tried to get it to go back to the last known configuration but to
    >no avail, it still does the same thing, I also tried to get it to reinstall
    >the software but cant seem to find anyway to do it. Any ideas people? Also
    >am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed for at least a
    >year?
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    Set the BIOS to boot from the XP install CD. It should detect the disk and
    give a brief message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD
    press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Unk

    Unk, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Ad Noctum

    Plato Guest

    Ad Noctum wrote:

    > am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed for at least a
    > year?

    XP is NOT guaranteed at all.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Ad Noctum

    Frank Guest

    Ad Noctum wrote:
    | Hi my sister has a problem starting her computer. She has XP Home
    | but when she boots the computer up it gets as far as the welcome
    | screen and then just sits there. Now I have tried booting into
    | safe mode, booting from the cd disc and tried to get it to go
    | back to the last known configuration but to no avail, it still
    | does the same thing, I also tried to get it to reinstall the
    | software but cant seem to find anyway to do it. Any ideas people?
    | Also am I right in thinking that any item bought is guaranteed
    | for at least a year?
    |
    | Thanks in advance

    That is what mine does until I type in my pw......

    --
    Tampa Bay

    Frank, Jun 24, 2003