    never used XP before so I've no clue how to fix it.

    Thanks in advance, if you need more info just ask.

    Steve.

    Steve, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:31:21 GMT, Steve <> wrote:

    >Long story short; I was running win2k pro with NTFS on all partitions
    >except C (1gig fat32), 2K on G:, my mobo fried so I replaced it and
    >CPU, I wiped out the G partition and installed XP Pro on it and now it
    >cannot see my other partitions - D, E, and F which are NTFS from the
    >win2K installation. BTW, my computer crashed while it was running in
    >2K so I'm thinking it has something to do with permissions, I've just
    >never used XP before so I've no clue how to fix it.
    >
    >Thanks in advance, if you need more info just ask.
    >
    >Steve.

    Correction, XP does see the partitions, but when I click on them in
    Explorer I get a pop-up saying "D:\ is not accessible" "Access is
    denied."

    Steve, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Steve

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try taking ownership. Right click the
    drive>properties>security>advanced>owner.

    pcbutts1, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Steve

    Kenneth Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:48:03 GMT, Steve <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:59:50 GMT, "pcbutts1" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Try taking ownership. Right click the
    >>drive>properties>security>advanced>owner.

    >That's another part of the problem, when I go into the drive
    >properties, the open window shows the general properties tab, and
    >shows the Drive Capacity, Free Space, and Used Space as 0 bytes; File
    >system as RAW, and no other buttons for sharing or advanced
    >properties.
    >
    >Thanks for your reply.

    Hi Steve,

    I know nothing at all about XP, but had similar problems with 2K until
    I learned about Disk Management. Does XP have a similar function?

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:06:32 -0500, Kenneth
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:48:03 GMT, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:59:50 GMT, "pcbutts1" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Try taking ownership. Right click the
    >>>drive>properties>security>advanced>owner.

    >>That's another part of the problem, when I go into the drive
    >>properties, the open window shows the general properties tab, and
    >>shows the Drive Capacity, Free Space, and Used Space as 0 bytes; File
    >>system as RAW, and no other buttons for sharing or advanced
    >>properties.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your reply.

    >Hi Steve,
    >
    >I know nothing at all about XP, but had similar problems with 2K until
    >I learned about Disk Management. Does XP have a similar function?

    Hi,

    Yes, there is a disk management program, but it doesn't really let me
    do anything, it shows the partitions as healthy and actually I hadn't
    noticed this before but it is showing me that they are NTFS beside the
    partition size. At this point I am looking for my win2K disk. I
    think I will wipe XP out and revert to 2k to see if I get my
    partitions back, if so, I'll shut down and reinstall xp.

    Steve, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I've got it sorted, had to reinstall win2k, then I could get into the sharing options for
    the drives, went into security and there were no users allowed access so I just added
    'Everyone' with full control, shut down, reinstalled XP and all is good.

    Thanks for the help.

    Steve, Dec 7, 2003