    Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall having a
    similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.

    cheers, and tia -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 29, 2007

  2. Peter Huebner

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new
    > motherboard,
    > cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems (like xp wanted
    > reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me configure things so I could
    > use
    > the internet - just as brainy a design as the video card with the manual
    > on cd
    > only which is awfully useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >
    > Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except "My
    > Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've timed it
    > once.
    > Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >
    > Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall having a
    > similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.
    >
    > cheers, and tia -Peter

    Yes shouldn't you be using SP2?

    Craig Sutton, Jul 29, 2007

  3. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new motherboard,
    > cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems (like xp wanted
    > reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me configure things so I could use
    > the internet - just as brainy a design as the video card with the manual on cd
    > only which is awfully useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >
    > Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except "My
    > Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've timed it once.
    > Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >
    > Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall having a
    > similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.
    >
    > cheers, and tia -Peter

    There's not a blank CD in the drive is there?

    EMB, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall
    > having a similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.

    Windows E, Tools, folder options, view, disable autosearch for network
    stuff.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 29, 2007
  5. In article <Xns997CDA47283D2daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...

    > Windows E, Tools, folder options, view, disable autosearch for network
    > stuff.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Unfortunately that was disabled already.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 29, 2007
  6. In article <>, says...
    > There's not a blank CD in the drive is there?

    No, makes no difference whatsoever if there's anything in the optical drives
    or not.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 29, 2007
  7. In article <f8hjtm$bne$>, says...

    > Yes shouldn't you be using SP2?

    No. It gives me nothing that I want. It seriously destabilized my old system,
    introducing bsod-s where there had never been any before, so I just don't like
    it. I don't like the drm aspect of it and I don't like the 'security centre'
    and I don't like the MediaPlayer that came with it - thanks, but no thanks.
    SP1 has/had been working much better for me.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 29, 2007
  8. Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new motherboard,
    > cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems (like xp wanted
    > reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me configure things so I could use
    > the internet - just as brainy a design as the video card with the manual on cd
    > only which is awfully useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >
    > Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except "My
    > Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've timed it once.
    > Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >
    > Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall having a
    > similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.

    Is it trying to re-establish connections to network shares that are no longer
    available ?

    Mark Robinson, Jul 29, 2007
  9. Peter Huebner

    impossible Guest

    > In article <f8hjtm$bne$>, says...
    >>
    >> Yes shouldn't you be using SP2?
    >>

    > No. It gives me nothing that I want. It seriously destabilized my old
    > system,
    > introducing bsod-s where there had never been any before, so I just don't
    > like
    > it. I don't like the drm aspect of it and I don't like the 'security
    > centre'
    > and I don't like the MediaPlayer that came with it - thanks, but no
    > thanks.
    > SP1 has/had been working much better for me.

    You need SP2 plus all the latest patches. If you're going to be a luddite
    about this, no one can help you. Leave out Media Player 11 if it offends
    your sensibilities, but there are simply too many other fixes involved here
    for you to think you know what you're doing when you pick and choose.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113

    impossible, Jul 29, 2007
  10. In article <2tod.net>, 2tod.net
    says...

    > Is it trying to re-establish connections to network shares that are no longer
    > available ?

    shouldn't, really, since those are in "My Network Places" and never get
    displayed in "My Computer", at least in my system.

    The thing sits there and displayes 'searching for items' for ages. Only
    happened after I had to reinstall XP -- it wouldn't even boot after the
    hardware upgrade. Not entirely surprising, I suppose since it was so major.

    My problem is the search string for this problem. Just think what you find when
    googling for "My Computer" in any combination of words. Same applies to MS
    knowledge base. Just no useful hits.
    I think the last time this happened Nathan came up with an easy fix, but I
    can't for the life of me remember what it was.

    cheers, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 29, 2007
  11. Peter Huebner

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:41:35 -0400, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >"Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <f8hjtm$bne$>, says...
    >>>
    >>> Yes shouldn't you be using SP2?
    >>>

    >> No. It gives me nothing that I want. It seriously destabilized my old
    >> system,
    >> introducing bsod-s where there had never been any before, so I just don't
    >> like
    >> it. I don't like the drm aspect of it and I don't like the 'security
    >> centre'
    >> and I don't like the MediaPlayer that came with it - thanks, but no
    >> thanks.
    >> SP1 has/had been working much better for me.
    >>

    >You need SP2 plus all the latest patches. If you're going to be a luddite
    >about this, no one can help you. Leave out Media Player 11 if it offends
    >your sensibilities, but there are simply too many other fixes involved here
    >for you to think you know what you're doing when you pick and choose.

    It adds huge overheads to an older system though. A 1G Duron w/256 megs is ok
    with SP1, but with SP2/fully updated it's unusable (unless the user is very
    patient).

    Cima, Jul 30, 2007
  12. Peter Huebner

    impossible Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:41:35 -0400, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <f8hjtm$bne$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> No. It gives me nothing that I want. It seriously destabilized my old
    >>> system,
    >>> introducing bsod-s where there had never been any before, so I just
    >>> don't
    >>> like
    >>> it. I don't like the drm aspect of it and I don't like the 'security
    >>> centre'
    >>> and I don't like the MediaPlayer that came with it - thanks, but no
    >>> thanks.
    >>> SP1 has/had been working much better for me.
    >>>

    >>You need SP2 plus all the latest patches. If you're going to be a luddite
    >>about this, no one can help you. Leave out Media Player 11 if it offends
    >>your sensibilities, but there are simply too many other fixes involved
    >>here
    >>for you to think you know what you're doing when you pick and choose.
    >>

    > It adds huge overheads to an older system though. A 1G Duron w/256 megs is
    > ok
    > with SP1, but with SP2/fully updated it's unusable (unless the user is
    > very
    > patient).

    I never noticed SP2 adding any significant bulk to XP. But this was not the
    OP's problem anyway -- he said he'd just upgraded his cpu, motherboard, and
    ram. Point is, there's nothing to be gained in trying to troubleshoot
    problems on a half-patched system.

    impossible, Jul 30, 2007
  13. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new
    > motherboard, cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems
    > (like xp wanted reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me
    > configure things so I could use the internet - just as brainy a
    > design as the video card with the manual on cd only which is awfully
    > useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >
    > Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except
    > "My Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've
    > timed it once. Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >
    > Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall
    > having a similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.
    >
    > cheers, and tia -Peter

    Unless you have USB drives turn off USB drive support?

    Just a quick guess.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 30, 2007
  14. Peter Huebner

    Rob S Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new
    >> motherboard, cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems
    >> (like xp wanted reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me
    >> configure things so I could use the internet - just as brainy a
    >> design as the video card with the manual on cd only which is awfully
    >> useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >>
    >> Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except
    >> "My Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've
    >> timed it once. Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall
    >> having a similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.

    Does the motherboard have onboard video? It can cause all sorts of weird
    problems, not all video related, if you don't disable onboard video when
    using a plugin card. Could easily be memory problems as well.
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    The Windows98 Eveready Bunny: It's still loading, and loading...

    Rob S, Jul 30, 2007
  15. In article <>, says...

    > Unless you have USB drives turn off USB drive support?
    >
    > Just a quick guess.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Don't think that is it either, sorry. I haven't had any usb drives connected
    since the reinstall of XP. And it was the reinstallation that caused this
    problem to turn up again.
    Like I said, the fix was easy, it's one setting in either regedit or admin
    that I needed to fix the last time it happened.

    Easy workaround is to put shortcuts to the harddrive partitions on the desktop,
    it's really snappy that way. But every time I use an 'open file' requester it
    takes ages to initialize as well, if it doesn't have a default directory given
    by the application. <sigh> I do not want to wipe everything and start from
    scratch, that's my main problem - there are passwords I don't have hardcopy of,
    etc.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 31, 2007
  16. Peter Huebner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > Easy workaround is to put shortcuts to the harddrive partitions on the
    > desktop, it's really snappy that way. But every time I use an 'open
    > file' requester it takes ages to initialize as well, if it doesn't
    > have a default directory given by the application. <sigh> I do not
    > want to wipe everything and start from scratch, that's my main problem
    > - there are passwords I don't have hardcopy of, etc.

    Rebuild your Shell Icon Cache?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 31, 2007
  17. Peter Huebner

    joe_90 Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new motherboard,
    > cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems (like xp wanted
    > reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me configure things so I could use
    > the internet - just as brainy a design as the video card with the manual on cd
    > only which is awfully useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >
    > Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except "My
    > Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've timed it once.
    > Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >
    > Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall having a
    > similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.
    >
    > cheers, and tia -Peter

    This any help?

    Specifically, #157 (both columns appear applicable)

    joe_90, Jul 31, 2007
  18. Peter Huebner

    Ross Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:29:04 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >I'm running Xp Professional SP1. I've just been and put in a new motherboard,
    >cpu, ram & video card. After some teething problems (like xp wanted
    >reactivation immediately, but wouldn't let me configure things so I could use
    >the internet - just as brainy a design as the video card with the manual on cd
    >only which is awfully useful when you need troubleshooting info).
    >
    >Anyway, got all that sorted, everything is running fine so far except "My
    >Computer" now takes forever to populate. Around 20 seconds I've timed it once.
    >Just keeps running that little searchlight .....
    >
    >Does anyone know how to resolve that nuissance? I seem to recall having a
    >similar problem once before, but can't remember the solution.
    >
    >cheers, and tia -Peter

    Disable all the services that you don't need.

    www.blackviper.com is the best place to look.
    Yes, I know it sounds dubious, but it is legit - a well-known site
    that lists all the default services and whether you are likely to need
    them or not. I used it years ago, it went off-air for a while, but has
    been back for some months now.

    Ross, Jul 31, 2007