    after reboot the machine sat there at the black screen with an error that

    WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt.

    any ideas what this is

    lee, Sep 29, 2003

  2. lee

    Paul - xxx Guest

    lee tried to scribble ...

    > (System) Amd Duron 1300 / 30gb H/D / Winxp home etc
    >
    > Bought the above system a few weeks ago from the computer fair
    > and all was ok till today when I tried to do a live update from
    > microsoft after reboot the machine sat there at the black screen with
    > an error that
    >
    > WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt.
    >
    > any ideas what this is

    It's possible that the XP on the machine was a 'non-standard' or 'cracked'
    version and when you went to update it, the cracked keycode gave you away ..
    There are _many_ well-known numbers that work fine until update time and
    then they don't ... ;)

    OTOH you could maybe have just had a power surge or something similar that
    occurred at exactly the wrong moment and corrupted the windows folder .. In
    which case a re-install or a restore may be necessary.

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Our old car for Auction http://tinyurl.com/osdj

    Paul - xxx, Sep 29, 2003

  3. lee

    °Mike° Guest

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents
    Windows XP from Starting

    Also see:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:31:53 +0100, in