    on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the processor is
    32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?

    thanks in advance for any advice!
    =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=, Jun 8, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

    Jane C Guest

    That processor is 64 bit.

    In order to run XP x64 you must use only 64 bit drivers. 32 bit drivers
    will not work.

    What make/model notebook is it?

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Jun 9, 2007

  3. no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
    won't work, it can't be done.

    For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor ID
    utility:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

    The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the mfg
    isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    It's a toshiba satellite u205-s5044

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    How important are manufacturer-specific drivers? Might almost everything run
    ok with just installing XP64? Or if not could there be some generic 64bit
    drivers that might make it work?

    I think I might just try installing the software on a separate partition for
    now as a dual boot and watch what happens - could this potentially cause any
    serious problems to the original OS? Unfortunately the recovery disk is lost
    so recovery to original system state is not really an option at the moment

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    If there aren't drivers for your hardware, there's really no point. And what
    is it you hope to gain? Honestly, there isn't a laptop out there that can
    use more than 4GB of RAM. And while there are a few reasons to choose 64-bit
    besides RAM, that's certainly the most compelling reason for most.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2007
  7. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    btw, you might find this whitepaper of use.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 9, 2007
  8. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    Thanks for posting the very informative link. I noticed the following passage:
    "64-bit driver requirement
    As I explained earlier, all hardware needs a 64-bit driver to work in 64-bit
    editions of Windows. Because drivers run in kernel mode, they can’t run in
    the WOW64 subsystem, meaning that all drivers need to be rewritten for x64.
    The responsibility for writing drivers is, ultimately, with the manufacturer
    of the device. This has been an uneven process at best so far, but the
    situation is improving and should improve more substantially with the release
    of Windows Vista."

    This may be a very stupid question, if so forgive my ignorance, but we live
    always in hope: Is there any possibility of using vista drivers in xp64,
    seeing as these do exist for the hardware in question?

    Also, can I at least try installng xp64 on a different partition without any
    risk of compromising system stablility on the original 32bit partition?

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=, Jun 9, 2007
  9. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    To be completely honest I bought xp64 as a replacement for my lost recovery
    disk with a view to a clean installation. Assuming as I had a core 2 duo
    processor everything would be fine but obviously without having gone into
    checking out all the issues properly first, doh!!

    =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=, Jun 9, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

    S.SubZero Guest

    Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    On Jun 9, 12:23 pm, confused <>
    wrote:
    > This may be a very stupid question, if so forgive my ignorance, but we live
    > always in hope: Is there any possibility of using vista drivers in xp64,
    > seeing as these do exist for the hardware in question?

    They would need to be Vista x64 drivers, but you can try. The worst
    that can happen is they won't install. I'd assume less complex
    drivers like printers will have a better chance than say, video
    drivers (which I'm fairly certain you need the OS-specific drivers
    for).

    > Also, can I at least try installng xp64 on a different partition without any
    > risk of compromising system stablility on the original 32bit partition?

    Absolutely.
    S.SubZero, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Re: xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware

    Vista subsystems are very different and I doubt that any will work in XP
    x64. (XP x64 drivers will sometimes work in Vista, however.)

    you can install to a separate partition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 10, 2007