    programs to uninstall it and there is nothing to uninstall it yet. i
    have not formatted my drive to ntfs. is there any other way to
    uninstall it?
    kevin, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Are you going back to 9X? If so, there is a fairly simple way....

    Using a starup disk, start the computer
    at the first prompt type "sys c:" (without the quotes)
    Then when yourestart, it will only start the 98 portion, and you can delete
    the XP.

    Note: This ONLY works if you are dual booting now, otherwise, you will have
    to do something else, probably format, and rebuild.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me
    Simon Telrenner, Sep 25, 2003

  3. kevin

    kevin Guest

    no i just want to install it on a clean hard drive because i upgraded it from 98se.

    kevin, Sep 25, 2003
  4. kevin

    kevin Guest

    "JBS" <> wrote in message news:<swucb.8805$>...
    > I think need to go back to the the CD and run the setup program again. It
    > should give you the option to remove XP.

    i put in the cd and there was no option to uninstall xp
    kevin, Sep 26, 2003
  5. kevin

    Geoff Guest

    kevin wrote:
    > no i just want to install it on a clean hard drive because i upgraded
    > it from 98se.

    well thats sinply then, boot off the cd, and format the partition instead of
    leaving filesystem inteact :)
    format as ntfs of course
    :)
    Geoff, Sep 26, 2003
  6. There is no limit on the number of times that you can activate. That's
    not what triggers the MS reactivation scheme.

    Product activation monitors ten things in the system (I have the list
    somewhere, it's not secret). As long as no more than 3 of those things
    have changed since the original installation, you will be automatically
    reactivated (an unlimited number of times). You are allowed to change
    more things (six, I think) ***IF*** the network card MAC address has not
    changed, since this is a "unique in the entire world" ID, effectively a
    worldwide system serial number, that really says "I'm the same network
    card, and therefore probably the same system".

    Additionally, if NONE of the monitored items has changed at all in the
    last 4 months (120 days), the product key is reset on Microsoft's
    registration sever, it's as if that key had never been registered and
    was being registered for the first time.

    This description is about 2 years old, but it's my understanding that
    this is still how it works.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 26, 2003