    re-install EVERY device or will it reach across to the current 32-bit OS and
    find them? And again, what about the programs?

    How much work am I really in for?

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5uaWU=?=, Sep 28, 2007

  2. Annie:
    A full install on a separate partition is the only way to go.
    All your apps will have to be installed again.
    None of your 32-bit device drivers will be useful.
    Before doing a clean install please do your homework.
    - Check the availability of drivers for all your hardware, whether internal
    (motherboard chipset, audio, video) or external (USB printer, scanner, etc.).
    - Check the compatibility with XP x64 of all the software you intend to
    install.
    That way there will be no surprises.
    The install will create a dual boot menu by itself.
    I think this covers most of your questions.

    Here you will find the XP x64 drivers for your video card:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp64/radeonx-xp64

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Installation programs fortunately are really stupid, if you have an earlier
    installation the next one will know almost nothing about it except maybe the
    existence of a formated partition. This is fortunate as each system must
    have it's own complete view of the machine, even after a dual-boot
    installation. This means that, yes - you will have to re-install every
    application (most will, but some won't!) Moreover, you will have to
    reinstall motherboard and perhaps any SATA HD drivers, and in the event of a
    rescue install, most such drivers have to be re-installed again, but that
    is standard behavior, even for a single OS.

    If your existing installation is occupying all space on the HD, you should
    either shrink it to accomodate a fair bit of space for the new installation,
    or install an extra HD, and if you want to start all over from scratch, you
    should install the OS's in the order they were released - (oldest first!)

    There are bits to learn, and a bit more work to have a dual-boot system, but
    it may be well worth the effort unless you know that all your apps and
    devices are supported, and many 64bit users here are running such systems
    for compatibillity resons.

    Tip:
    You may want to flash your BIOS, and some are having difficulty mixing
    HD's of different types - like IDE + SATA, when both have to boot it's own
    installed OS.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 28, 2007