XP Pro x64 SP2 not recognized?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jin, Dec 26, 2008.

  1. Jin

    Jin Guest

    Hi, i've recently decided to do a fresh install of XP Pro x64 on my system
    over my current XP Pro x86.

    So i installed the OS, then all drivers. Then i tried to install Windows
    Live messenger and it said it couldnt install on any OS's earlier than
    Service Pack 2. So then i went to the Microsoft site and downloaded Service
    Pack 2 for XP Pro x64

    (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe)

    I installed it and everything went fine. When i right-click My Computer and
    go to Properties it says:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition
    Version 2003
    Service Pack 2

    Then i activated Windows online and started installing updates through
    automatic updates.

    Now when i try install Windows Live messenger again it comes up with the
    same message saying "Sorry, Windows Live programs cannot be installed on
    Windows Server, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, or Windows operating
    systems earlier than Windows XP Service Pack 2"

    Then i decided to try something else, so i tried installing the
    ZuneDesktopTheme and i get the same message. Even when i go to the Microsoft
    website to download Windows Media Player 11, it says:

    Setup detected that you are running: Windows 2003 Server
    There is no download available for this operating system. To get Windows
    Media Player 10, please go to Windows Update and install Windows Server 2003
    SP1 or later.

    Huh i dont get it? Nothing seems to recognize my OS properly? Or is my OS
    not what it claims it is in the properties of My Computer?

    Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Jin, Dec 26, 2008

  2. Jin

    Jane C Guest

    "Jin" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, i've recently decided to do a fresh install of XP Pro x64 on my system
    > over my current XP Pro x86.
    >
    > So i installed the OS, then all drivers. Then i tried to install Windows
    > Live messenger and it said it couldnt install on any OS's earlier than
    > Service Pack 2. So then i went to the Microsoft site and downloaded
    > Service
    > Pack 2 for XP Pro x64
    >
    > (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe)
    >
    > I installed it and everything went fine. When i right-click My Computer
    > and
    > go to Properties it says:
    > Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional x64 Edition
    > Version 2003
    > Service Pack 2
    >
    > Then i activated Windows online and started installing updates through
    > automatic updates.
    >
    > Now when i try install Windows Live messenger again it comes up with the
    > same message saying "Sorry, Windows Live programs cannot be installed on
    > Windows Server, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, or Windows operating
    > systems earlier than Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    >
    > Then i decided to try something else, so i tried installing the
    > ZuneDesktopTheme and i get the same message. Even when i go to the
    > Microsoft
    > website to download Windows Media Player 11, it says:
    >
    > Setup detected that you are running: Windows 2003 Server
    > There is no download available for this operating system. To get Windows
    > Media Player 10, please go to Windows Update and install Windows Server
    > 2003
    > SP1 or later.
    >
    > Huh i dont get it? Nothing seems to recognize my OS properly? Or is my OS
    > not what it claims it is in the properties of My Computer?
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Hi Jin,

    Technically, XP Professional x64 is really a client version of Server 2003
    x64. So, for some downloads you need the Server 2003 x64 version.

    The Windows Live stuff was blocked on Server, hence being blocked on XP x64.
    I did hear that the latest Live Essentials suite is now able to be installed
    on Server, but I have only used it on Server 2008, I haven't tried it on
    Server 2003.

    The Zune Desktop theme also is blocked on x64. Orca.msi is your friend :)
    (Use Orca and remove the block from the launch condition (I think that was
    what it was under) - it was a while ago since I did that, but it worked
    perfectly).

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

    Jane C, Dec 27, 2008

  3. Jin

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jin.

    > Hi, i've recently decided to do a fresh install of XP Pro x64 on my system
    > over my current XP Pro x86.

    Any switch from 32-bit to 64-bit (or vice-versa) requires a "clean install".
    Is that what you meant by "a fresh install"? When you said, "over ..x86", I
    thought you meant an "upgrade" from x86 to x64, which is not allowed.

    Did you reformat that partition where x86 had been, and then boot from the
    x64 CD-ROM to run Setup?

    I haven't run WinXP in a couple of years. As I recall, the word
    "Professional" never appeared in the name of 64-bit WinXP. WinXP "Pro"
    always meant 32-bit, NOT 64-bit. Has WinXP x64 changed its name since I
    stopped using it? (I've never used ANY "Server" edition; maybe those use
    the Pro designation.)

    Oh, I just did a search and found Charlie's smiling face at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/russel_x64faq.mspx, where it
    appears that XP X64 is now clearly labeled "Professional". How did I miss
    that? Above Charlie's portrait it says, "Published: July 25, 2005". Have
    I been asleep that long?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail 2009 1202 in Win7 x64 6801)

    R. C. White, Dec 29, 2008
  4. Jin

    Mark Ryan Guest

    I was having peformance problems with XP-x64/SP2, to the point I would
    reinstall the whole OS. My Dell 670 workstation (Intel dual core) came with
    x64/SP1. I thought slipstreaming SP2 into the original distribution would be
    smart. I downloaded x64/SP2 from Microsoft, expanded it, and only found an
    /AMD subidrectory. There was no /i386 subdirectory with files to integrate
    with the SP1 files. I don't believe AMD files will work with Intel. The
    exact file you mention, KB914961 has no Intel (/i386) sudirectory (or SP2
    files, I guess.) I am as stuck and baffled as you are.

    Mark Ryan, Jan 16, 2009
  5. You really found a directory labeled "AMD64" which is the
    64-bit files and they are for both AMD and Intel CPUs. They
    were named "AMD64" because when Microsoft originally put the
    x64 version together Intel opted to not participate with
    program. The original Win x64 only supported the ADM64 CPUs
    and Intel support was added later.

    So, if you slipstream the x64 SP2 into your CD it will
    support Intel CPUs and function correctly.

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 16, 2009