    that I've wasted with these worthless downloads, combined with the cost of
    the OEM version, what is going on here!? I've also not been able to get the
    Media Center OS download to even successfully install!? Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?TURTY2llbnRpc3Q=?=, Sep 21, 2005

  2. MDScientist wrote:

    >I have found the MSDN version of the AMD x64 WindowsXP Pro to be
    >practically
    >none-functional. I tried installing both versions (the one suffixed with
    >'Checked/Debugged', whatever that means?, the other without this addendum)
    >combined with the latest drivers, and other than showing the desktop, was
    >otherwise useless. To rule out a hardware/driver deficiency, I purchased
    >an
    >OEM version of x64, which installed functions flawlessly. So, considering
    >the astronomical cost of the subscription and the unbelievable amount of
    >time
    >that I've wasted with these worthless downloads, combined with the cost of
    >the OEM version, what is going on here!? I've also not been able to get
    >the
    >Media Center OS download to even successfully install!? Thanks

    The Checked/Debugged version is for developers who want to debug stuff.
    It's got lots of debug code and settings left in and turned on. So the OS
    will perform slightly slower than normal, but make finding out what's
    happening in an application and its' interactions with Windows easier.

    Given that you didn't know what the Checked/Debugged version was for, you
    don't need it. You want the normal version.

    There are no significant differences between MSDN and OEM x64 that I'm
    aware of - and I have the MSDN version running happily on a couple of
    64-bit machines.

    I don't think there is an x64 version of Media Centre yet - AFAIK, it's
    still only available in x86 flavour.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 21, 2005

  3. Thanks for the information Steve. I guess this means that there is either a
    difference between the OEM and MSDN that is only germane to my specific nexus
    of hardware or there is some deficiency in my process. As for the process, I
    used Nero to burn the ISO image to disk and used the exact same installation
    sequence and drivers as I did with the OEM version. MS states that, unless
    marked with 'Developer Release', that the MSDN version is the exact same as
    the retail version.

    As for the MC OS, I apologize for not being more specific. I am attempting
    to install the 32 bit version. Again, I installed XP Pro x32 on the (new)
    machine, and have been running a burn-in cycle (Sandra suite) for the past 36
    hours to rule out a hardware problem.

    At this point I am totally baffled by the problems I've been having and
    would very much appreciate any suggestions that might help illuminate
    something that I'm not doing correctly.

    Thanks again!

    =?Utf-8?B?TURTY2llbnRpc3Q=?=, Sep 21, 2005
  4. MDScientist wrote:

    >Thanks for the information Steve. I guess this means that there is either
    >difference between the OEM and MSDN that is only germane to my specific
    >nexus
    >of hardware or there is some deficiency in my process. As for the
    >process, I
    >used Nero to burn the ISO image to disk and used the exact same
    >installation
    >sequence and drivers as I did with the OEM version. MS states that, unless
    >marked with 'Developer Release', that the MSDN version is the exact same as
    >the retail version.
    >
    >As for the MC OS, I apologize for not being more specific. I am attempting
    >to install the 32 bit version. Again, I installed XP Pro x32 on the (new)
    >machine, and have been running a burn-in cycle (Sandra suite) for the past
    >36
    >hours to rule out a hardware problem.
    >
    >At this point I am totally baffled by the problems I've been having and
    >would very much appreciate any suggestions that might help illuminate
    >something that I'm not doing correctly.
    >
    >Thanks again!

    The only thing I can think of at the moment is that you've got either a
    corrupted ISO or a bad burn, or both.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Sep 21, 2005
  5. Media Center version of x64 Windows won't be coming to market until Vista
    next year.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com