XP pro x64 crashing constantly

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by NYTELTECH, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help with this issue:

    About a year and a half ago, I decided to build a PC. I thought I would go
    with the newest and best hardware I could find (in my mind). Long story
    short about hardware is that I got an A-bit AW8D motherboard, 64 bit Intel
    LGA 775 Processor 3.73Ghz, and 2Gb Corsair memory. I have an older Cd-rom
    drive that came off of my old system - a samsung combo drive, the traditional
    floppy drive. I have 2 HDD's - one is 250GB, which I use for storage of the
    things I can't live without (kids' pictures, videos, music collection), you
    get the point -- This HDD is just storage. My OS resides on a 500Gb HDD, and
    it started crashing constantly after several months with no problems. I
    reloaded XP pro x64 build 3190 and my problems went away for another several
    months (after losing a few pictures and about 100Gb of music and movies). I
    learned my lesson, so I read up on restore points and creating backups of my
    system. I have performed countless restores now, but my restart, and errors
    (BSOD) issues keep getting worse each time. I'm not sure what other
    information I need to post, excetpt that I am getting stop errors for
    anything IRQ -- I thought this was no longer an issue? Also for CD-rom --
    Bad block, but I have no disk in drive. Kernel mode exceptions, Page faults,
    and Device driver errors to name a few. I have looked up all info for
    drivers, and I am up to date with all of them, as well as BIOS. Please, any
    suggestions would help. I'm about to take this thing outside and start a
    bonfire. Thank you.
    NYTELTECH, Jan 14, 2008

  2. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    A problem has been detected and W\windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

    SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

    If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
    these steps:

    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    for any windows updates you might need.

    If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
    or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you needto use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    select safe mode.

    Technical information:

    *** STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF97FFF0D809F,
    0xFFFFFADFC4D29BB0, 0
    x0000000000000000)

    *** win32k.sys - Address FFFFF97FFF0DB809F base at FFFFF97FFF000000,
    DateStamp
    45e6f310

    Beginning dump of physical memory

    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact you system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

    #############This happened @5:30 pm after powering up my
    computer.############################
    NYTELTECH, Jan 14, 2008

  3. NYTELTECH

    Greg R Guest

    You have a pretty good overclock going on there if your CPU is at 3.73Ghz.
    What Intel CPU (E6300, E6600 and so on) are you using and what is the
    temperature for the CPU showing at in your BIOS?

    Greg R, Jan 14, 2008
  4. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    no overclock, never been able to. It's an Intel pentium extreme edition
    processor with Hyperthreading technology. The reason I had to go with x64,
    it wouldn't let me install a 32 bit OS

    NYTELTECH, Jan 14, 2008
  5. There's really only two possibilities, here. One is hardware, the other is
    an infection. Frankly, I think the infection the less likely.

    I'm betting hardware, and that means basic troubleshooting. The areas you
    need to look at include:
    1.) heat
    2.) memory
    3.) power

    So, let's start with heat. What's the inside temperature of the motherboard
    and the CPU? (memory too if you have it.) If you don't know these numbers,
    your mobo mfg should have included a utility to monitor them, or there are
    third party ones out there you can run a trial of. If we're running hot,
    there are ways to help. Probably the best way is a better case design, and a
    CPU cooler designed to do the job better than the default one. Personally,
    I'd want to get the numbers here down to 50 degrees C. or less.

    Next, memory. It's very possible that there's a weak memory chip somehwere.
    Corsair is decent memory, but even the best can have a problem. I'd run a
    good, thorough, memory test overnight on the memory. Something like
    memtest86, set to it's most thorough, and set to run continuously.

    Finally, power. How big is your power supply, and what other peripherals are
    in that box?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 14, 2008
  6. You certainly should have been able to install an x86 OS. Something is
    fundamentally wrong here.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2008
  7. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    Seems like The combination of AW8D motherboard and Intel chip just wouldn't
    let 32 bit OS get installed. anyway, I checked temps. They are: CPU:70c,
    motherboard 35c, and I've been keeping the case open since I thought it
    might be heat as well. I don't think that's it anymore, but I'm still open
    to suggestions. As far as memory goes, I have already run weekend stress
    tests and found no problems. This is actually too much computer for what I
    use it for, but I had to satisfy myself and make my first build. Power was
    an issue when I first put my "Frankenstein" together. I was trying to run
    this thing with an old 300W p/s. Needless to say, that did NOT go well. I
    replaced it with an 800W BFG if I remember correctly, and it helped, but the
    problems have not gone away. I really appreciate the input guys, and will
    attempt anything suggested here because I am at a loss. I'm technically
    savvy, and have great troubleshooting skills, but this thing is not a phone
    system. Thanks.
    NYTELTECH, Jan 15, 2008
  8. NYTELTECH

    Patrick Guest

    "NYTELTECH" <> wrote in message
    > Seems like The combination of AW8D motherboard and Intel chip just
    > wouldn't
    > let 32 bit OS get installed. anyway, I checked temps. They are: CPU:70c,
    > motherboard 35c, and I've been keeping the case open since I thought it
    > might be heat as well. I don't think that's it anymore, but I'm still
    > open
    > to suggestions. As far as memory goes, I have already run weekend stress
    > tests and found no problems. This is actually too much computer for what
    > use it for, but I had to satisfy myself and make my first build. Power
    > was
    > an issue when I first put my "Frankenstein" together. I was trying to run
    > this thing with an old 300W p/s. Needless to say, that did NOT go well.
    > replaced it with an 800W BFG if I remember correctly, and it helped, but
    > the
    > problems have not gone away. I really appreciate the input guys, and will
    > attempt anything suggested here because I am at a loss. I'm technically
    > savvy, and have great troubleshooting skills, but this thing is not a
    > phone
    > system. Thanks.

    70c is to hot throw some ice on it :) should be 50-60
    Patrick, Jan 15, 2008
  9. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    Sorry, it's @ 60, didn't check typing

    NYTELTECH, Jan 15, 2008
  10. NYTELTECH

    Patrick Guest

    if that is at idle it is to hot 60 should be about max for full load
    and below is my temps and this is at 30% load playing a game
    on a Extream core 2 XQ6850

    Field Value
    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type ITE IT8718F (ISA 290h)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte G31 / G33 / P31 / P35 / X38 Series
    Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
    CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 49 °C (120 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 48 °C (118 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #3 45 °C (113 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #4 48 °C (118 °F)

    Cooling Fans
    CPU 2033 RPM
    Power Supply 1985 RPM
    Fan #4 3497 RPM

    Patrick, Jan 15, 2008
  11. Are you using a thermally advantaged case and how many case fans do you
    have?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2008
  12. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    honestly, I don't beleive that I do which is why I opened it to allow more
    ventilation, since I don't have enough room for all the fans the M/B provides
    for. I have the CPU fan, a North Bridge fan, a system fan, and 2 of the aux
    fans -- they are all the same size -- same as CPU fan. Sorry, I don't know
    the dimensions (60mm) maybe.

    NYTELTECH, Jan 15, 2008
  13. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    You know, I've been thinking since my last post. Suppose it IS heat. would
    it cause multiple / random stop errors? Also, and the reason why I didn't
    include this earlier, why would I have the same problem on another PC that
    has never been networked with my desktop? The only thing in common between
    this laptop (IBM Lenovo T60) and my desktop, was using the same internet
    connection (cable modem) I did not have a router to network them, and don't
    want to. I use this laptop with dial-up. The only thing I have to say is
    that this laptop is more stable -- but the problems ARE the same,
    nonetheless. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but as I stated in one of my
    earlier posts, I DO have good troubleshooting skills, and I have researched
    this...
    I just don't have any other options. Thank you.,

    NYTELTECH, Jan 15, 2008
  14. Yes, heat would cause random stop errors. I used at least three case fans
    with all my Pentium 4 machines, especially with Prescotts. Yours is even
    more powerful than those. Use 80mm fans. 120mm fans are too noisy.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2008
  15. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    Like I said, I really appreciate all the suggestions, and I will get the fans
    I need. If you would recommend a case, I will order it tomorrow. It's just
    that there were so many when I searched and I don't know enough about cases
    and whether pricing is a factor in making that decision. Please don't
    suggest a 500 case with liquid cooling and all that, LOL.
    But the question still remains...Why is my laptop experiencing shutdowns?

    NYTELTECH, Jan 15, 2008
  16. Here is a link to Intels specs for thermally advantaged cases:
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-008537.htm

    A link with explanations:
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips00528/

    And here is a link to a typical supplier:
    http://www.xoxide.com/aspirecases.html

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2008
  17. NYTELTECH

    NYTELTECH Guest

    I don't think I can say this enough guys. THANK YOU! I feel like an idiot,
    but since you guys started posting temp comments, I decided to investigate
    this further. I found that my CPU fan was actually at a slowewr speed than
    it should be. I crancked it up to the "coolest" setting, and I've been
    running smooth now for about 1hr. I can even switch users and all! THAT'S
    LONGER THAN ANY DAY THIS WEEK, AND MORE SWITCHING THAN I'VE DONE THIS MONTH!
    I have copied your links, and will be looking for a case that will accomodate
    my hardware better. If anything comes up I will post back to this thread in
    a couple of days.
    I think I'll start a new thread for my laptop LOL

    NYTELTECH, Jan 15, 2008
  18. You're welcome. Good luck.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2008
  19. NYTELTECH

    John Barnes Guest

    Just one additional note, leaving the case open doesn't necessarily help the
    system run cooler. A well designed case has an airflow that required that
    all panels be in place. An open case can change the airflow and cause heat
    to build up in certain areas.

    John Barnes, Jan 15, 2008
  20. This is correct, leaving a side open will certainly expose the system to
    room temperature, but it ruins airflow that is directed at hotspots - this
    mean that it is o.k. while troubleshooting or as an emergency, but leaving
    it open will surely shorten the life of a handfull of essential parts.

    While Colin suggested 120mm fans generated more noise, they exchange a
    volume of air using slower speed. An 80mm fan would have to run faster to
    exchange the same volume. The result might be roughly the same but the 120mm
    should have a lower pitched sound, in my opinion. also, slower speed will
    not stress the bearings, so you don't hear them for a much longer time. (all
    depending on the last dime spent, most likely.)

    You shouldn't have to worry about watercooling unless you want to, but do
    spend some sensible amount on a good intelligent case - you will really,
    really love it when you press the button the first time - and every time
    after that!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 15, 2008