XP Pro x64 and Home Networking?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jim Galasyn, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Hi all,

    Does the home networking ("workgroup") feature work in the x64 edition? I
    ask for two reasons:

    1. I can't get the x64 box to see the other XP Pro 32-bit box, but the
    32-bit box sees the x64 box; both machines connect to a hub, which is
    connected to a Belkin Pre-N router and then to the Comcast cable modem.
    2. RAS (Remote Desktop Connection) is completely hosed now that I've tried
    to do the home networking thing.

    RAS worked before I tried to set up the freaking home networking...I was on
    the phone with support for an hour, and they couldn't diagnose. When I
    hooked up the computer directly to the cable modem, RAS suddenly worked.

    Configuration:
    Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
    HP xw8200 spec is here:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11976_div/11976_div.PDF
    2GB RAM
    dual 3.6 GHz Xeon processors
    250-GB SATA 3.0-Gb/s 7200 rpm Hard Drive (8 MB cache)
    2x LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
    Jim Galasyn, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Okay, I figured out the networking part -- both machines see other now,
    which is cool.

    RAS is still busted, though. Does "workgroup" home networking play nicely
    with RAS?

    Jim Galasyn, Jan 18, 2006

  3. I'm sorry, what's the problem here? RAS (Remote Access) or Remote Desktop?
    Two very different things. And since we have no idea what you did that
    "fixed" the networking part, I'm not at all sure what to suggest. Is the
    router still present?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Jim,

    Could you please post what you did to fix the networking part. I am
    sure other people will find it useful.

    Ken
    ------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Jan 18, 2006
  5. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Sure, I was rather foolishly following the Network Setup Wizard's advice,
    which told me to run NSW on every machine on the network. Apparently, you
    only need to run it on one machine. Then I used the Control Panel | System |
    Network Setup | Network ID on the other machine to join the workgroup.
    Voila! Both machines were able to see one another, with no x64 weirdness at
    all.

    Jim Galasyn, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Right, I really mean Remote Desktop Connection. I suspect it doesn't play
    well with the new workgroup I created. It was working fine before I did that
    little dance.

    Jim Galasyn, Jan 18, 2006
  7. And you are able to remote desktop just fine?
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2006
  8. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Problem solved. Because I have a local network, I need to provide
    credentials to Remote Desktop -- didn't have to do that before.

    That poor support guy I last night...I talked with him for an hour.

    Jim Galasyn, Jan 18, 2006
  9. Check that you've got Remote enabled on the target machine, and that the
    Windows Firewall isn't blocking RDP. (Keep in mind that RDP requires an
    account with a password. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  10. Yes. RDP requires passworded accounts. Others are blocked.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  11. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Hmm, maybe not. Remote Desktop worked this morning, but this evening, not so
    much.

    Playing with it now...

    Jim Galasyn, Jan 19, 2006
  12. Jim Galasyn

    Jim Galasyn Guest

    Apparently not so simple. It worked this morning, but not tonight.

    We use a GemPlus card reader for authentication. There's a whole, weird
    authentication dance that happens, but the upshot is that I thought I had
    discovered the magic combination of user name () and
    password (the card's PIN) which made Remote Desktop happy.

    I don't know why it should have worked this monring but not tonight. At one
    point, the support guy had me plug my machine directly into the cable modem,
    and of course then RDP worked. When I plugged back into the usual home
    network topology, slept on it, had my "epiphany" in the morning, RDP still
    worked. Maybe my company-assigned lease expired during the day?

    With my usual network setup (all computers into a hub), after I connect, my
    local home network drops out of the picture, and I can access network
    resources at work -- but I have to authenticate with my usual work
    credentials, not the odd ones RDP wanted this morning. I'm starting to
    conclude that the home "workgroup" networking is just incompatible with RDP.

    Jim Galasyn, Jan 19, 2006
  13. Ah, I'm guessing your credentials expire.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 19, 2006