XP Pro workstation unable to ftp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Citizen, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Citizen

    Citizen Guest

    Situation is as follows :

    XP Pro Workstation SP1a (reapplied)
    Running mcafee Antivirus v4.51
    Unable to update automatically and found out that the reason is a
    failure on ftp. Checked pasv mode on and off (no difference)

    When doing ftp on the cmd line I get as far as this :
    Connected to ftp.easynet.be.
    220 minx.ftp.be.easynet.net FTP server ready
    User (ftp.easynet.be:(none)): anonymous
    331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your
    password.
    Password:
    230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list

    After this an endless wait has started
    This is the same for whatever ftp-site I choose to test.

    WSftp does shows a "blocking call cancelled" error
    and says that it cannot retrieve the list

    I am connected to the network with a DSL-router and DSL ethernet
    modem. The laptop that is attached to the same switch in the DSL
    router can FTP succesfully and the same mcafee updates work on the
    laptop, but not on the desktop. It is running on XP Home.

    So the problem is definitely on my XP Pro workstation.
    I have also applied IE6 SP1 and reapplied XP SP1a
    I have now IE 6.0.2800.1106 xpsp2.030422-1633 showing on the about
    box.

    The problem started october 29. The previous Windows update happened
    two weeks prior to that.

    Can somebody tell me how I can get FTP to work again on this XP Pro
    WS? What should I try next ?

    TIA
    Citizen

    Citizen, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Citizen

    SgtSilicon Guest

    Hi. A possible reason might be explained at:

    http://www.linksysftp.org/troubleshooting.php

    Be sure to read the bits about "running on a non standard port" and
    the "catch 22". Not sure if this is the answer for you but the
    symptoms are the same as you describe.

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:34:48 +0100, Citizen
    <> wrote:

    >Situation is as follows :
    >
    >XP Pro Workstation SP1a (reapplied)
    >Running mcafee Antivirus v4.51
    >Unable to update automatically and found out that the reason is a
    >failure on ftp. Checked pasv mode on and off (no difference)
    >
    >When doing ftp on the cmd line I get as far as this :
    >Connected to ftp.easynet.be.
    >220 minx.ftp.be.easynet.net FTP server ready
    >User (ftp.easynet.be:(none)): anonymous
    >331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your
    >password.
    >Password:
    >230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
    >ftp> dir
    >200 PORT command successful.
    >150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
    >
    >After this an endless wait has started
    >This is the same for whatever ftp-site I choose to test.
    >
    >WSftp does shows a "blocking call cancelled" error
    >and says that it cannot retrieve the list
    >
    >I am connected to the network with a DSL-router and DSL ethernet
    >modem. The laptop that is attached to the same switch in the DSL
    >router can FTP succesfully and the same mcafee updates work on the
    >laptop, but not on the desktop. It is running on XP Home.
    >
    >So the problem is definitely on my XP Pro workstation.
    >I have also applied IE6 SP1 and reapplied XP SP1a
    >I have now IE 6.0.2800.1106 xpsp2.030422-1633 showing on the about
    >box.
    >
    >The problem started october 29. The previous Windows update happened
    >two weeks prior to that.
    >
    >Can somebody tell me how I can get FTP to work again on this XP Pro
    >WS? What should I try next ?
    >
    >TIA
    >Citizen

    ** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and
    including the underscore in my email reply header.

    SgtSilicon, Nov 10, 2003