    2
    My computer has been running really slow and I was in the process of removing files before I would reformat the hard drive. Now before I could remove all my files I had to reboot several times because of freezing. Now my computer starts up and gets to windows logo screen then blue screen and then reboots. It then goes to the options screen with three different safe mode options, last known good configuration, start windows normally. I have tried all of these options and it just ends up rebooting and going to the options screen. I have even tried the advance options mode F8 and all end up with the same result. I have tried booting from the CD but it doesn't recognize it and just ignores the CD and reboots to the same scenario.

    What should I do now?

    jjsmith_88, Oct 8, 2007

  2. jjsmith_88

    Snarf2000

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Messages:
    4
    My advice is that if you have important data on the hard drive, first, place the hard drive in another PC (if possible) and copy all your important data.

    From the sound of it, I would say that your hard drive is crashing or damaging files (blue screens) or/and (as a result from the "freezing") that the motherboard has a problem. So the quicker you get your data off the better. Once all the data is off, you can try to reinstall windows. I would recommend that you do a thorough hard drive inspection first. Download the DOS version of one of the following Hard Drive testing tools from another PC if you can:

    Lifeguard from Western Digital:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=30

    Seatools from Seagate:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

    These utilities should indicate probable hard drive failure, if so, check your hard drive's warranty, or buy another one.

    The PC probably does not recognize your CD-Drive because the CMOS settings has been set not to boot up first to the CD-Drive, but to the hard drive instead. Go into your CMOS settings (Press either delete or F2 right at the beginning of your PC's boot) and depending on the menus you get, check that the boot order is set so that it will check the CD-Drive first, before it boots to the hard drive.

    Try this maybe, I hope it works at least to some extend.

    Snarf2000, Oct 8, 2007

  3. jjsmith_88

    jjsmith_88

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Well I got it to boot from the CD by changing the boot order from F2. I went to the XP setup screen and I tried to do a repair and got the blue screen again with this error message:

    Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

    Stop: 0x00000050 (0xC6C80000, 0x00000000, 0x807EA8E8, 0x00000000)

    Then I tried the maxtor utility disc for hard drive analysis and the hard drive failed the scan with the error code:Y62S57 and then it informed me that I need to contact Maxtor and give them that error code.

    Sounds like my drive is fried. What do the rest of you think?

    Any possible way to get files off the drive?

    jjsmith_88, Oct 8, 2007