    don't get it...

    Whassup?

    Jay
    Jay, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Jay wrote:
    > I've got Home edition - want to upgrade to Pro. Online
    > used prices are much lower (i.e., $100 vs.$200) How can
    > one sell a product, which can only be licensed, in used
    > condition. How does this work? Can it be registered? I
    > don't get it...
    >
    > Whassup?
    >
    > Jay

    You can't sell software once you've installed it. It says so in the EULA.

    There was a minor scandal a year ago, because some people donated PCs
    with Windows to charity and the charity had to buy Windows licenses
    because you can't even give Windows away legally.

    It's true.
    General Protection Fault, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Jay

    Guest Guest

    So how is it that "reputable" online vendors can sell used
    software? Or is it, as you say, simply illegal?

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Re: XP Pro upgrade - Addendum

    I've noticed that these "deals" are often described
    as "Educational" versions - how does that play in the
    scheme?

    Jay

    Jay, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Jay

    Guest Guest

    If you found someone that sells used gold at a good
    price, let me know.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Jay

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >So how is it that "reputable" online vendors can sell used
    >software? Or is it, as you say, simply illegal?

    That would depend on the software in question.

    However, in general (as is the case with Microsoft), you paying for a
    license to use the software, NOT the software itself.
    Kline Sphere, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Jay

    Lorne Smith Guest

    Actually, it says you can transfer ownership ONCE, the second owner is the
    one who cannot transfer ownership and further... Besides, since when can MS
    dictate how many times a product can be sold anyway? Not to mention being
    able to tell if the owner doesn't register the software...

    Just sell it and be done.... :)

    Lorne

    "General Protection Fault" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Lorne Smith, Nov 20, 2003
  8. wrote:
    > So how is it that "reputable" online vendors can sell used
    > software? Or is it, as you say, simply illegal?

    It depends on the license. If it's Microsoft software, it's illegal.

    Who is this "reputable" vendor?
    General Protection Fault, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Lorne Smith wrote:

    > Actually, it says you can transfer ownership ONCE, the second owner is the
    > one who cannot transfer ownership and further... Besides, since when can MS
    > dictate how many times a product can be sold anyway? Not to mention being
    > able to tell if the owner doesn't register the software...

    When you installed the software, you agreed to the license that says you
    won't transfer ownership (as in the case of Windows 2000). They can ask
    you to agree to anything they want. If you installed the software, you
    agreed to the license, and it's legally binding and enforceable.

    So you see why software licenses are ridiculous.
    General Protection Fault, Nov 20, 2003
  10. Jay

    Lorne Smith Guest

    But like I said, the terms of the EULA allow you to transfer ownership ONCE,
    so you can resell it, it's just that the guy who buys it from you isn't
    allowed to sell it on (according to MS... Licensing limitations such as this
    are not really enforceable).

    It's not yet been established in court whether the terms of the EULA are
    legally enforeable or not. Until they are, the whole thing is a gret area
    really...

    BTW: Be carefull M$ don't try and sue you for using some of their
    terminology for your nick! :)

    Lorne Smith, Nov 20, 2003
  11. Lorne Smith wrote:
    > But like I said, the terms of the EULA allow you to transfer ownership ONCE,
    > so you can resell it, it's just that the guy who buys it from you isn't
    > allowed to sell it on (according to MS... Licensing limitations such as this
    > are not really enforceable).
    >
    > It's not yet been established in court whether the terms of the EULA are
    > legally enforeable or not. Until they are, the whole thing is a gret area
    > really...

    Again, some Microsoft EULAs allow you to transfer once, and some don't.

    In some cases, you can transfer it once, to only to another PC that
    *you* own, not someone else's.

    In other cases, yes, you can sell it.
    General Protection Fault, Nov 20, 2003
  12. Jay

    jones Guest

    listen i can make you transfer the file from me for only
    $50 bucks..its a bootlegg but who cares

    jones, Nov 20, 2003
  13. Jay

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >listen i can make you transfer the file from me for only
    >$50 bucks..its a bootlegg but who cares

    Would the same apply if I came round and nicked your car?
    Kline Sphere, Nov 20, 2003
  14. Jay

    Guest Guest

    listen here. no one was talking to you. The guy asked a
    question and i gave an answer. people like you with smart
    remarks.. To ANSWER YOUR QUESTION I HAVE ALMOST EVERYTHING
    SOFTWARE BY MS and will make anyone transfer for $50 buck.
    F--K off to you ..

    Guest, Nov 21, 2003
  15. Jay

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Assfucker

    Kline Sphere, Nov 21, 2003
  16. Jay

    Lorne Smith Guest

    Damn thief... Hope the cops catch up to you...

    Lorne Smith, Nov 24, 2003
  17. Jay

    Lorne Smith Guest

    If people are going to choose to steal, then they should at least try and
    find it online for free rather than paying some money for it and probably
    funding more serious crime...

    Best is not to steal at all... Go to the store & buy it and be confident
    that you've helped some poor developer keep his job & feed his family...

    Lorne

    Lorne Smith, Nov 24, 2003