    I download the trial version of x64 that I am now running.

    Can I get an upgrade or do I have to buy the full version of XP x64?

    Where is the best/cheap place to buy?
    homebrewdude, Feb 6, 2008

  2. There is no upgrade edition of XP Pro x64. You have to buy the OEM version
    from a reseller like NewEgg. It is cheaper than what a retail upgrade
    license would cost anyway. Even if there were an upgrade edition license as
    there is for Vista x64 you would not be able to do other than a clean
    install (same as Vista x64). Upgrading in place across platforms is not
    supported by any versions of Windows.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 6, 2008

  3. homebrewdude

    philo Guest

    > I am currently running WinXP Pro that I own.
    > I download the trial version of x64 that I am now running.
    >
    > Can I get an upgrade or do I have to buy the full version of XP x64?
    >
    > Where is the best/cheap place to buy?

    Use a non-destructive repartitioning software (after backing up your data of
    course)
    then install XP_64 on the 2nd partition and dual boot.
    That way you will not destroy your working system.
    If XP_64 works out ok and you can get drivers for everything...
    you can always set it as the default OS in boot.ini
    philo, Feb 6, 2008
  4. homebrewdude

    homebrewdude Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "homebrewdude" <> wrote in message
    >> I am currently running WinXP Pro that I own.
    >> I download the trial version of x64 that I am now running.
    >>
    >> Can I get an upgrade or do I have to buy the full version of XP x64?
    >>
    >> Where is the best/cheap place to buy?

    > Use a non-destructive repartitioning software (after backing up your data of
    > course)
    > then install XP_64 on the 2nd partition and dual boot.
    > That way you will not destroy your working system.
    > If XP_64 works out ok and you can get drivers for everything...
    > you can always set it as the default OS in boot.ini

    Your reply has nothing to do with my question.
    I already have a dual boot with XP 64
    I am trying to BUY it now....

    homebrewdude, Feb 6, 2008
  5. As I said, simply buy it from a reseller like NewEgg. There is no retail
    (boxed) edition of XP Pro x64, only the System Builder (OEM) edition. You
    can do a repair install to preserve your apps if you like or just do a clean
    install.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 6, 2008
  6. homebrewdude

    philo Guest

    > philo wrote:
    > > "homebrewdude" <> wrote in message
    > >> I am currently running WinXP Pro that I own.
    > >> I download the trial version of x64 that I am now running.
    > >>
    > >> Can I get an upgrade or do I have to buy the full version of XP x64?
    > >>
    > >> Where is the best/cheap place to buy?

    > > Use a non-destructive repartitioning software (after backing up your

    data of
    > > course)
    > > then install XP_64 on the 2nd partition and dual boot.
    > > That way you will not destroy your working system.
    > > If XP_64 works out ok and you can get drivers for everything...
    > > you can always set it as the default OS in boot.ini

    > Your reply has nothing to do with my question.
    > I already have a dual boot with XP 64
    > I am trying to BUY it now....

    Someone else already responded to that...
    I'd also say NewEgg...I've never had a problem with them
    philo, Feb 7, 2008
  7. NewEgg is pretty good. They have never refused me an rma even when it was
    my fault.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 7, 2008
  8. homebrewdude

    homebrewdude Guest

    I like Newegg also..

    There price for XP is about the same everywhere else..

    I guess this is what I am going to have to pay then...

    Thanks

    homebrewdude, Feb 7, 2008
  9. homebrewdude

    philo Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > NewEgg is pretty good. They have never refused me an rma even when it was
    > my fault.

    True!
    philo, Feb 7, 2008