    administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions. The
    list of servers for the workgroup is not currently available." Both
    computers are using the same user name (Both administrators) and password

    =?Utf-8?B?c2pvaGFubmVzc2Vu?=, Feb 15, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c2pvaGFubmVzc2Vu?=

    Malke Guest

    sjohannessen wrote:

    > I have run the network wizard on my desktop (XP Home with wireless
    > router
    > connected) and run the NETSETUP on my laptop (XP PRO). I can see my
    > Workgroup in Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Network. But
    > when I try to aqcfess it I get the error message "(Workgroup) Mshome
    > isw not accessible.
    > You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact
    > the
    > administrator of the server to find out if you have access
    > permissions. The
    > list of servers for the workgroup is not currently available." Both
    > computers are using the same user name (Both administrators) and
    > password

    This is usually caused by a misconfigured firewall. When you ran the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers this turned on the XPSP2 Windows
    Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
    antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which
    acts as a firewall, then you're fine. But if you do have one of these
    av's and/or third-party firewall software, you need to turn off the
    Windows Firewall. Configure any third-party firewalls to allow the
    Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my
    firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Narrowing in on the firewalls...OK. The desktop has Norton Personal Firewall
    2003. I allow the specific IP address of the laptop The laptop has McAfee
    Firewall as a purchase option but apparently I did not buy it yet. Windows
    Firewall is still ON for the laptop.

    Three ways to go? Have you a suggestion? I have a preference toward McAfee
    but accept any recommendations.

    =?Utf-8?B?c2pvaGFubmVzc2Vu?=, Feb 16, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?c2pvaGFubmVzc2Vu?=

    Malke Guest

    sjohannessen wrote:

    > Narrowing in on the firewalls...OK. The desktop has Norton Personal
    > Firewall
    > 2003. I allow the specific IP address of the laptop The laptop has
    > McAfee
    > Firewall as a purchase option but apparently I did not buy it yet.
    > Windows Firewall is still ON for the laptop.
    >
    > Three ways to go? Have you a suggestion? I have a preference toward
    > McAfee but accept any recommendations.

    Maybe it's just a tad early for me and I've only started on my second
    cup of coffee, but I'm not sure what you're asking here.
    Recommendations for antivirus and/or firewalls? If you properly
    configure the firewalls you have (and I would allow a range in the
    Norton Firewall instead of just the one IP), can you access the shares?

    I personally don't like McAfee or Norton products. I use F-Prot
    antivirus on my Windows machines and because my users are well-trained,
    the Windows Firewall is fine for them.

    Please clarify the state of your network access which is what you
    originally asked about. If you are still not able to successfully
    create a working home network, go through Mr. Michna's troubleshooter
    and let me know the results.

    Malke

    Malke, Feb 16, 2006